Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #16
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,733
Wis,
Run some Kenda 270's.
60Hz, No wind blast with this rig...the shield took 15 minutes to make.

bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #17
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
Wis,
Run some Kenda 270's.

bill
shinko 244's are much cheaper.

Or whatever I have on. It's only rubber.

IMHO sand is not real tire sensitive. Mud on the other hand.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:20 AM   #18
60HzShuffle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Thanks for all the replies and keep them coming. The suggestions have me looking at bikes I have not thought about before (KTM's). When you get to a 600cc bike, would there really be that much of a difference jumping to up an 800cc bike at that point (e.g. Tiger 800XC, etc)?
60HzShuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:01 AM   #19
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60HzShuffle View Post
Thanks for all the replies and keep them coming. The suggestions have me looking at bikes I have not thought about before (KTM's). When you get to a 600cc bike, would there really be that much of a difference jumping to up an 800cc bike at that point (e.g. Tiger 800XC, etc)?
I rode a KTM 950 for seven years. It was a truly GREAT fire road bike with the right tires. It was so well suspended that it sucked up washouts, baby heads and such without getting upset. It was a bit of a handful in mud, but not bad. I was going to replace it with a new 990, but I ride solo a lot and really needed something I could pick up by myself. I bought a new 690R to fill the bill. 150lbs lighter and just as quick. Expensive for a thumper, though.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:45 AM   #20
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 784
Quote:
a BIG difference in weight, 100+ lbs. The 600 class singles generally handle being dropped/crashed with less damage to the bike and rider too and are much easier to pick up singlehanded. I ride about the same distance to get to fire roads and my DR650 works fine

victor441 screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 04:50 AM
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:06 AM   #21
kojack
My bikes Suck!

Oddometer: 891
Depends on three things. What roads are you riding when you get there, how deep are your pockets and you want used or new....

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:51 AM   #22
60HzShuffle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Not really helpful. It is for fire service roads as mentioned. gravely, ruts at times, holes, yada yada. I was looking for people preferences for this situation and why so I know what to check out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
Depends on three things. What roads are you riding when you get there, how deep are your pockets and you want used or new....

60HzShuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:25 AM   #23
mojave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
WR250R for a dirtbike style

Dakar for an adventure bike style

DR650SE kind of splits the difference
2012 NC700X (HonDog)
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #24
kojack
My bikes Suck!

I was asking those questions. After I know the answers I can give you a very good idea on what to look at.....that's why I wanted to know these things. If your ripping tight trails and have lots of coin to toss at a bike I would say a new klx450, add a dual sport kit and go mad. If you are just running wide open fire roads that are not very technical, and you don't want to spend a ton, pick up a used klr or Dr 650.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #25
kojack
My bikes Suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
I was asking those questions. After I know the answers I can give you a very good idea on what to look at.....that's why I wanted to know these things. If your ripping tight trails and have lots of coin to toss at a bike I would say a new klx450, add a dual sport kit and go mad. If you are just running wide open fire roads that are not very technical, and you don't want to spend a ton, pick up a used klr or Dr 650.

Or even a s10 for a long range bike.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #26
SlowRide13
Veteran n00b

Oddometer: 1,336
Quote:
When you get to a 600cc bike, would there really be that much of a difference jumping to up an 800cc bike at that point (e.g. Tiger 800XC, etc)?
I have a F800GS with an aftermarket suspension and a 690R. On the highway, and on open fire roads, I'd rather be on the F8--considerably faster (surprise!) and more comfortable at the same time. So if you aren't planning to ride singletrack or gnarly-rocky stuff very much, I'd stay with the 800 class.

The 690 shines best if you want to ride 50 miles on roads (paved or dirt) but also be able to keep up with the 450s in tighter stuff. The 690 is also much easier to drag out of a mudhole. The 690 is cheaper to crash. I'm an old XR600/650 rider from way back--the 690 is worth every extra penny, on-road and off.

For me personally, the only reason I have two primary bikes: TIRES!!!
I run K60s on the F8 and Motoz Desert H/Ts on the 690. When all is considered, the bike I hop on is the one that has the right tires for the ride I plan.
www.hoofrehab.com
SlowRide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #27
gatorgrizz27
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRide13 View Post
I have a F800GS with an aftermarket suspension and a 690R. On the highway, and on open fire roads, I'd rather be on the F8--considerably faster (surprise!) and more comfortable at the same time. So if you aren't planning to ride singletrack or gnarly-rocky stuff very much, I'd stay with the 800 class.

The 690 shines best if you want to ride 50 miles on roads (paved or dirt) but also be able to keep up with the 450s in tighter stuff. The 690 is also much easier to drag out of a mudhole. The 690 is cheaper to crash. I'm an old XR600/650 rider from way back--the 690 is worth every extra penny, on-road and off.

For me personally, the only reason I have two primary bikes: TIRES!!!
I run K60s on the F8 and Motoz Desert H/Ts on the 690. When all is considered, the bike I hop on is the one that has the right tires for the ride I plan.
If you were planning to replace your GSA with one bike that was more fun off road, I would say a KTM 950/990, BMW 800 or Tiger. If you are keeping it though I would want to add more variety myself, and 100 lbs of weight is a huge difference off road, even 50 is.

I agree with tires being the biggest issue. Any decent knobby isn't going to be a ton of fun on the highway, even though it is plenty bearable, and by the time you get to the dirt after a few long highway trips, it's not so much of a knobby any more. I had an XRR with Michelin T-63s and it was fine all around, but still not really a "dirt bike" especially in sand.

That's why I recommend a supermoto, you don't give up anything on the street and they are still plenty capable in the dirt if its not deep sand or mud. As a bonus they make great commuter/run to the store/quick afternoon backroads bikes, and are a ton of fun.

gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #28
SlowRide13
Veteran n00b

Oddometer: 1,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
... I agree with tires being the biggest issue... That's why I recommend a supermoto, you don't give up anything on the street and they are still plenty capable in the dirt if its not deep sand or mud...
Yeah, if I was forced to choose only one bike/setup, it would be the F8 with knobbies, because I need the length/strength for 2up camping with my wife. However, if she lost interest in going and I had to choose one bike/setup, it would probably be the 690 with road tires (K60 or similar).

But--although I do enjoy twisties, my primary love is dirt--so I doubt I would go all the way to a SM setup, unless it was a 3rd bike (hmmmm, I have been a good boy this year ). If everyone had the same needs it would be a dull world, eh?
www.hoofrehab.com
SlowRide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #29
kojack
My bikes Suck!

If everyone had every bike they wanted....what a fun world it would be. There. Fixed... I agree on the f8. Great choice.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #30
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,493
DR650, would be perfect, unless you just want to throw away money and work on your bike then KTM.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote