User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
Bluetru OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
1200GS IPhone with Otterbox mount ?

Has anyone found an IPhone 4s bar mount for the GS that will hold both the phone while inside an aftermarket protective case? The yellow/black touratech version would suffice if the phone were without a protective case. I was hoping for something similar that would work with the case to allow for some weather protection as well. Any thoughts?
Bluetru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
Willie B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
I've got 2 of the Touratech iPhone holders and think they're amazing. I remove mine from the case and reinstall when removing it from the mount. Word of caution, if you do get the Touratech holder, don't leave the bands expanded when you remove the phone as it will stretch them out of shape in record time causing the phone not to be securely affixed.
Willie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
DualMule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
This is what you want...

http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResu...5/Default.aspx

It it completely adjustable so it will hold your phone with or without a case (I have an Otterbox on my Samsung Infuse, a very large phone with a very large case). One side is spring loaded make it really easy to load your phone in the cradle. I hard wired a charging cable (non-data cable) to my fuse block and zip tied it to the mount. If you are going to do a lot of off-road riding you might want to add a couple of rubber bands just in case, but I've never had it pop out.
DualMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
little foot
Scratch and Sniff

Oddometer: 5,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonGS View Post
http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResu...5/Default.aspx

It it completely adjustable so it will hold your phone with or without a case (I have an Otterbox on my Samsung Infuse, a very large phone with a very large case). One side is spring loaded make it really easy to load your phone in the cradle. I hard wired a charging cable (non-data cable) to my fuse block and zip tied it to the mount. If you are going to do a lot of off-road riding you might want to add a couple of rubber bands just in case, but I've never had it pop out.
This is great,ust what i need also. thanks
Old 04-22-2012, 12:02 AM   #5
ultane
sqeezin the bag

Oddometer: 1,151
iPhone + lifeproof case + lifeproof bike mount.

Lifeproof.com

I might be wrong... Just ask my X...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,..
Is he still wrong?
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:04 AM   #6
lilmonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
I haven't fully mounted it up on the 1200 yet, but on my 650 I used this:
http://www.thinkbiologic.com/product...mount-iphone-4
with a modified TechMount adjustable arm. I'm going to get this going asap on the 1200, but I'm a bit preoccupied with some other stuff now. I'll post once I have solution.

Previous:
2010 BMW F650GS 1989 Honda Transalp 1989 Honda Hawk NT650 1980 Honda Hawk CB400
lilmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:49 AM   #7
kmroxo
Reno Rider

Oddometer: 343
I backed this project on Kickstarter. They pulled in over $100,000. The Kickstarter campaign is over, but you can still preorder it via their website. What I like best about this one is that it is very easy to get the phone in and out of the case. I use it as my camera also so my Glif and Olloclip need the phone to be outside of a case. Add in the solar panel and internal battery and it really makes it my top outdoor choice for a case. Delivery set for early June.

http://www.snowlizardproducts.com/pre_orders_avail.html
Old 04-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmroxo View Post
I backed this project on Kickstarter. They pulled in over $100,000. The Kickstarter campaign is over, but you can still preorder it via their website. What I like best about this one is that it is very easy to get the phone in and out of the case. I use it as my camera also so my Glif and Olloclip need the phone to be outside of a case. Add in the solar panel and internal battery and it really makes it my top outdoor choice for a case. Delivery set for early June.

http://www.snowlizardproducts.com/pre_orders_avail.html
An awesome case, but how do I plug in headphones?

Love the great design, but for me, they kinda forgot something.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:21 AM   #9
dirtbum
...Lost

Oddometer: 67
I use a pelican 1020 case and mounted a Ram ball mount to the Pelican. I perforated the case at the edge and added a headphone/volume extension to it. I can open the case to operate it. It fits snug so I can leave the door open when weather permits for airflow, and close it for waterproof. I ride year round, I don't have a car so when it is really wet I am still riding. So far this winter I have had no leaks where I made the perforation for the cable or otherwise. I will get you a picture up tomorrow. I use the otter box defender and some times switch to the impact case. I beat up my iPhone cases, so I need to switch and get new a one now and then.
dirtbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:23 AM   #10
dirtbum
...Lost

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
An awesome case, but how do I plug in headphones?

Love the great design, but for me, they kinda forgot something.
This would be the only thing holding me back from this purchase. What about heat dissipation. iPhone's crank out the heat and I know that is an issue with the lifeproof.
dirtbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #11
jag75
"SUA SPONTE"

Oddometer: 35
I use a case made by biologic and it is waterproof. It also has a hole so you can run your charger cable out to an outlet for charging. This is the best thing I could find for the money.
jag75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #12
zungoeie
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jag75 View Post
I use a case made by biologic and it is waterproof. It also has a hole so you can run your charger cable out to an outlet for charging. This is the best thing I could find for the money.
I have just ordered it for mounting it on my gs1200.. Is the mounting bracket ok? It looks a bit 'cheap' to safely hold my iphone4 while riding, but I took the guess because of your comment ;)
zungoeie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #13
RacerXS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultane View Post
iPhone + lifeproof case + lifeproof bike mount.

Lifeproof.com

+1 - I have the lifeproof case but with the ram mount, best setup IMO.. Lifeproof case is the shiz!
OCCR
--------------------------------
RacerXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #14
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by zungoeie View Post
I have just ordered it for mounting it on my gs1200.. Is the mounting bracket ok? It looks a bit 'cheap' to safely hold my iphone4 while riding, but I took the guess because of your comment ;)
I'd say it is bicycle ready, maybe marginal for motorcycle, especially off road.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #15
Bluetru OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Ok group I've become a lifeproof convert and pitched my worn otterbox iPhone 4s case. The case is much slimmer overall. I've now learned all the apple charging accessories including the BMW port/powerlet plug to apple plug are to large for the lifeproof phone case. Is anybody else trying to mount/run the iPhone while charging constantly? I purchased the Touratech cockpit cover 1 and 2 (multi plug dash) with this in mind from the onset?
Bluetru is offline   Reply With Quote