Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 03:47 AM   #1
tudor.fil OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Question New(OLD) R1100GS with 54K Miles

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post here and I hope it's in the right spot. Been lurking for a while and thought I should post.

So here's the deal and then comes the question:

Bought last week: R1100 GS '99 - 55k miles on it.(hand guards/4-way flashers) . Amazing ride, amazking looks "Ugly piece of art"! :)

Everything looks fine except :

- 1. Bad wiring on the instrument cluster such as the 4-way flashers work only when I slightly touch and move the whole cluster, which is by the way moving around anyway.

- 2. Tank is also moving around a bit with a 1/4th inch play. But I guess it's the Enduro build there along with the instrument cluster and the windshield.

- 3. Bit of vibration as I push it harder in almost any gear, but I suspect that's just valves/sync since it looks like it's coming from the engine and the cylinders do sound a bit different.

- 4. Overall humming from the drivetrain (maybe the shaft drive ). I think it's just the way this thing rolls.

- 5. And my most import concern:
There seems to be some clanking noise when I leave from a stop. For example I depress the clutch slightly to leave from a stand still and I can hear/feel something "fall in place" as I leave.
Then as I am moving ahead slowly, if I engine brake just a bit, whatever fell in place as I left kinda pulls out.

So...I depress clutch "clank" and then I accelerate and afterwards...I slow down without depressing clutch (in 1st gear) "clank" again.

I hope it makes a bit of sense. I am afraid it's splines or something bigger. Otherwise shifting is fine through all gears.

There is a bit of weird shifting if I need to get into 1st gear but I heard that's normal on a dry clutch and on these M97's .

Cheers,

Tudor
tudor.fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:17 AM   #2
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
First of all, I don't have any experience with the 1100, but this is what I would do for starters. Why don't you put it on the center stand, in gear, and manually rock the back wheel back and forth. Might be able to narrow it down by listening closely to where the clank comes from. If it's a drive shaft problem, you don't want it to let go while you're riding.
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:30 AM   #3
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,807
These things vibrate a bit and make a lot of weird noises. You might want to find someone who has some epxerience with oilheads to see if there is actually something weird going on.

The tank shouldn't move. There is a vastly overcomplicated attach point on the right side of the tank, near the back. You might be missing one of the rubber grommets, or the entire bolt.

The bike will make a loud "CLANK-CLUNK" as you pull out the first time. It's the ABS self-test. After that it shouldn't make any undue noises.

As a note, the 99 GS is about as bulletproff as a bike gets. Good find!

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:56 AM   #4
RevDave
KB Gear Guy

Oddometer: 8
If you take off the windscreen, you will see two allen head bolts - one on each side of the instrument cluster toward the front of the bike. These hold the cluster in place. On my '98 these bolts would work themselves loose on rough roads and I could see the cluster visibly start to move around. They need to be tightened with some loctite. You'll come across these bolts if you go in to look at the wiring. Good luck.
RevDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:17 AM   #5
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
The bike will make a loud "CLANK-CLUNK" as you pull out the first time. It's the ABS self-test. After that it shouldn't make any undue noises.
+1, with the self-test sound also described as like "riding over a metal garbage can lid".

Regarding the gearbox, they didn't earn the nickname "BMW clunk box" transmissions for nothing.

Congrats on your new bike!
Old 12-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
tudor.fil OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Wow,

You guys are amazing. Quick replies and very helpful. I am happy to have become a member of this community.

I will work on tightening the screws, change oils and see where the clunk is from.

1. My bike does not have ABS.
2. I did put it on the center stand in gear and there is play.

I can hear that "clunk" as I rock the wheel back and forth. (turn it not move it)
I could not make any other parts move nor did I notice any other play. (shaft cover,FD,)
I can only hear it close to where the shaft ends into the gearbox. I could not make out any other sounds.
I have about 2-3 degrees of free play when turning the wheel in either direction while in 1st gear in the center stand.
I did open the throttle bit harder today and there seems to be some vibration coming from the rear when I slam it.

Is that play normal ? I am fearing some spline damage or a nearing FD failure, but not sure how to tell.

Cheers guys,

Tudor

tudor.fil screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 11:26 AM Reason: grammar :)
tudor.fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #7
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by tudor.fil View Post
I have about 2-3 degrees of free play when turning the wheel in either direction while in 1st gear in the center stand.
Whatever else, that's normal. You're just taking up slack in the drivetrain.

Put your bike in neutral on the centerstand. Turn the rear wheel. It should turn smoothly. If it grinds, the big bearing in your final drive is going bad. If it goes 'clunk-clunk" it might be a u-joint in your driveshaft going bad.

You may just need to invest in a better set of earplugs.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote