Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
winch OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
First major trip - Ottawa to New York. Suggestions?

Hey everyone

I am planning a solo trip from Ottawa area down to (most likely) the East Coast of the US. I'll be spending around 2 weeks of July doing it. I'll be riding my XR650L, and hope to get a good mix of trails, fire/logging road, and tarmac in (and as little highway as possible!!), with nights either spent camping or in a B&B/hotel.

I'm looking for suggestions on places to camp, trails to ride, roads I can't miss, sights I have to see, and watering holes I have to hit during the trip.

I'll be packing light, but I've got pretty much all my gear figured out already.

Thanks!
winch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:11 AM   #2
winch OP
Adventurer

Bump.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:39 AM   #3
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 504
When you say New York, do you mean the city? Is that your goal destination? And you've only got two weeks for the ROUND trip yet want to avoid highways?

Personally I wouldn't do that, unless there was an important reason to make it to New York City.

What I'd do instead is ride to Quebec City and then follow the north shore (there are LOTS of great roads between there and Tadoussac, as well as lots of B&B's and camping areas) east until (your choice) Les Escoumins, Forestville or even Baie-Comeau where you can take a ferry (all three towns have ferries) across the St-Lawrence River to the Gaspé Peninsula. From there you can either continue clockwise around the Gaspé or cut through the middle on Route 299 (wonderful road, right through a beautiful national park). Then you could follow the coast south, tour P.E.I. (I've been to P.E.I. but not yet on a bike but it's on the list) and then DO NOT MISS Cape Breton Island and the Cabot Trail. Get right out to the furthest east point there and camp right on the ocean at Meat Cove.

And then come back home to Ottawa either by retracing your route, or cut over through New Brunswick to cross into Maine and come back across New Hampshire and Vermont.

Believe me, two weeks will feel really short. Especially if you're not riding highways every day to make distance.

The first day, from Ottawa to maybe Baie-St-Paul would be the toughest (more highway and less interesting sights) but from there on it should be wonderful.

Enjoy your trip!

Here are a couple of trip reports that might give you ideas:

Baie-St-Paul and Tadoussac July 2011
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35380

Montreal to Gaspé June 2012
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=40788

Cape Breton Island, etc. Sept 2012
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=41477
#6 2011 BMW K1300GT (sold)
#7 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #4
winch OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl_Biker View Post
When you say New York, do you mean the city? Is that your goal destination?
I'm hoping to get to New York City. One or two longish days on the highway (each way) wouldn't be bad. Right now my trip is very flexible with regards to where I actually end up.

Thanks for the suggestions though. I never even thought about going into Quebec - I had plans to go cross the border through Southern Ontario, but as I said, everything is flexible right now.