User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
DAAANG OP
LambBoyFilms@YouTube

Oddometer: 1,565
Lamb Boys Across Cali

**disclaimer: all pics are with iPhone/gopro and Im bad at typing stories. Oh, and I live in VA btw.
Video at the bottom.

So on November 19th my girlfriend and I sat down and had a talk. This was a talk about a year in the making Id say and we both decided that it was time to split up. Luckily we both felt exactly the same way and although it was sad and emotional, there were no hard feelings on either side. Were still good friends and will continue to be just that.

Earlier this year I went to my first 49er game at Candlestick park. Theyre building a new stadium so I wanted to get a home game at the Stick before it shuts down. Long story short that game ended with the Niners getting blown out by the New York Giants 3-26.

I wanted revenge. With my new found freedom I figured I would go to another home game versus the Dolphins. Unlike the Giants, the Dolphins are TERRIBLE. I called my little brother to inform him that I was going to be flying into town and he mentioned to me that hes got a weeks vacation that he has to use before the end of the year. Oh really??

I call my uncle to see what hes got going on and he just happens to have some free time in early December as well. Hmmmmmmm, fuck the Niners game, LETS RIDE!!!!!

A good friend of my uncles, Wolfgang, opened Dubbelju motorcycle rental 20 some years ago.

He came from Germany and thought San Fran was missing a place people could rent bikes to ride while visiting Cali. Especially while coming from Europe like himself. Wolfgang has ridden EVERY part of California imaginable. You tell him where youre looking to go and he will show you the most fun way to get there.

My uncle swaps printing with him for rental time and had just enough swap for me to rent a bike from Sunday to Wednesday. Hes got a great selection of bikes but I had my eye on the F800GS and the 990 Adventure. Last time I rented a moto in Cali I rode the 1200GSA so I figured Id give the KTM a try.

This bike was really rad. I absolutely LOVE the look of this bike and the dash is really nicely laid out too. One thing I was disappointed with was the quickness. All the KTM guys told me "be sure to hold on, its got twice as much motor as your 450 Honda!" It sure didnt feel like it. Its high speed cruising was fantastic though. Our average highway speeds were around 85MPH and my personal top speed was 105 and it felt great at that speed. 6th gear at 105 was only like 7k RPMs I think?

So we leave San Fran Sunday at 8AM and our first destination is Alices Restaurant. This is a super famous moto spot with some great roads coming to and heading from. The food and service was great. The outdoor patio had heaters and there was plenty of motos all around the property.

And yes, I was "that" guy riding around on an orange bike with a Honda jacket hahaha.

My uncle, me, and little brother.

Just as we start to wrap up breakfast about 20 Ferraris come pulling up. I love me some Italians.

We left Alices and went thru some Redwood Forest road that was amazing.

We ended up on highway 25 which was a long, curvy road out in the middle of nowhere. We say maybe 5 cars and 3 motorcycles in the stretch of about 100 miles, The landscapes and views were fantastic.

This took us to Parkfield California, a town of maybe a few hundred? The school was the size of maybe two 711's. We went to Parkfield Cafe where I ate what might have been the best burger of my life. To top it off i got to watch the final 10 minutes of my 49ers beating the Dolphins. Niners are getting their 6th ring this season. Steelers fans are gonna be sad. San FranSIXco!!! HAHAHA!

Let me start this next pic by saying that I own a Corgi. Shes the sweetest girl in the world. I have a major soft spot for dogs and I went out to my moto to grab my cell phone and I saw this sweet little girl named Tinkerbell. If she didnt have a tag and I wasnt 3000 miles from home, I would have pupnapped her.

Our next stop was to Soda Lake and our camp for the night Song Dog Ranch. Soda Lake was really cool but we got there after dark. Its a salt bed that shows up out of nowhere. I wanted desperately to be able to ride on it but it was dark, really soft like snow, and illegal. I was still 50/50 about doing it though. I called heads but flipped tails, no go . I didnt take any pics either cause it was pitch black and a flash shot would be worthless.

That leads us to Song Dog Ranch. Its in Ventucopa/Mericopa area, Im not 100% sure. The owner, Jim, has been in the California moto scene for decades. He use to throw massive parties on the property, even had a burning man event one time with like a thousand people or something crazy like that. The city caught wind of his giant parties and shut him down. Motorcyclists can still give him a call and camp on his property or stay in his cabin. Its sort of a word of mouth thing I guess. He also use to hand make soft luggage for bikes back in the day. Overall hes just a really cool dude.

We left Song Dog and I ran outta gas. Thank god we werent to far from a gas station. We found a Sunny D bottle on the ground and within 20 minutes I was back up and riding. Breakfast was about a 10 minute ride from SDR at a place called "The Place"... I like it. The pancakes were delicious, especially for a guy whos been on Atkins the last 2 months. I was in carb heaven.

From there we were making our way to our main attraction Joshua Tree National Forest. My uncle has lived in Cali his entire life and hes never been. I was excited about getting to a spot that both him and my brother had never seen.

Before getting there we rode the North end of the Angeles National Park. More twisty road with virtually no traffic for a dozens of miles. This was desert like land scape with tons of elevation changes and some trees.

We ended up getting to Joshua Tree at about 4:30. Just in time to get there with about an hour of day light. This place is one of the most beautiful things Ive ever seen.

The rock formations were formed from valcanos. Theyre basically just giant boulders stacked on top of each other up to hundreds of feet in the air in the middle of the desert. Some of them stacked in such a way that you could climb to the top with little effort. The night sky was unreal. Laying in my hammock starring at the stars was simply stunning. We grilled up some ribeye, corn and asparagus and threw back a bottle of scotch. It was a night that I will never forget. There is a strangle booming sound that happens out there. I never did get an explanation as to what causes it but I would assume the wind in some way. It sounded like the bass from a stereo system.

We got on highway 2 thru the Southern side of the Angeles National Park heading toward LA.

This particular part of the ride reminded me most of being back East. Felt like the Blue Ridge Parkway. We stopped at Newcombs Ranch to go pee, stretch our legs and hear some stories from some local guys.

We ended up in LA and took Sunset Blvd all the way to the Pacific Coast Highway. It seemed like it took forever, hit every light, and almost got ran over a dozen times. Why we did this, I have no idea

We took the PCH to Mulholland road to eat at another famous spot The Rock House. We pulled up and they were closed. As we started to ride away I got a call from my good pal Chris Norris (Upst8). "Where you guys at?" "Were at the Rock Store but its closed. How far are we from your house?" "Shit, youre like 15 miles, meet me at Neptunes Nest." "PERFECT!!!" So we met Chris at N.N. and got to see his brand new F800GS with 40 miles. That bike is beautiful. Unfortunately by this time it was dark and a pic of the bike would have been worthless.

From here we decided to get a room at a cheap motel. The 3 of us hadnt showered in a few days so we thought itd be a good idea to do so. We started our morning a lot later than we wanted to. The bed was just so damn comfortable. We got up and my little brothers bike wouldnt start. He was having some issues all week but everyday he could at least start it. We tried to bump it but it wasnt happening. Luckily there was a dealer about a mile away who had his battery. We rode over, had service charge it, got lunch and finally hit the road at 11:30. Heres the problem, the 990 needed to be turned in by 5:30 for another renter. So we had to get 500 miles in 6 hours, yippy. We averaged about 90MPH, got rained on for 3 hours, and made 2 stop for gas. It was one of the most miserable days of riding Ive ever had. We made it to Dubbelju with 10 minutes to spare

I had a great time on this trip. We did 1500 miles in 4 days which is a massive record over my previous rides. I dont normally enjoy long road trips but in Cali it was very enjoyable. The great part about being out West is that the scenery changes so much and so quick. I felt like every 50 miles was something new. Out here in VA you can go days without seeing something different. The one thing I do enjoy in the East are the rivers. Maybe it was just the route we took in CA but I cant think of one time I saw a river or even a lake.

Im looking forward to heading out again in 2013 but this time spending most of my time off road.

*Warning:Riding with me may result in you starring in your own crash video.
Sales and Marketing Manager at Cycle World V.B.
DAAANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,527
OK - great vid, perfect for internet viewing and btw, if you just continue watching (finished the Cali vid and walked away but came back), all your videos play - like the Shenanigans 500 ? Hilarious!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:52 AM   #3
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 739
[Quote]The one thing I do enjoy in the East are the rivers. Maybe it was just the route we took in CA but I can't think of one time I saw a river or even a lake.[Quote]

Cause all the water is in Nor-cal and the south is a desert if we did not ship'em some water.
Next time do a Nor-cal loop and really see some beautiful country, IMHO.

Nice report.

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
DAAANG OP
LambBoyFilms@YouTube

[QUOTE=holckster;20312053][Quote]The one thing I do enjoy in the East are the rivers. Maybe it was just the route we took in CA but I can't think of one time I saw a river or even a lake.
Quote:

Cause all the water is in Nor-cal and the south is a desert if we did not ship'em some water.
Next time do a Nor-cal loop and really see some beautiful country, IMHO.

Nice report.
Thats what I figured. Next ride we are going to do Yosemite.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #5
DAAANG OP
LambBoyFilms@YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs View Post
OK - great vid, perfect for internet viewing and btw, if you just continue watching (finished the Cali vid and walked away but came back), all your videos play - like the Shenanigans 500 ? Hilarious!

Shenanigan ride was my favorite day of all time. Check out Jammin Thru The George as well. Great trip.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:57 AM   #6
BaddAndy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Perfect timing for your post. Winter is here. BTW, what are your thoughts on that BILT adv. helmet? Thanks
Old 12-23-2012, 08:01 AM   #7
DAAANG OP
LambBoyFilms@YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaddAndy View Post
Perfect timing for your post. Winter is here. BTW, what are your thoughts on that BILT adv. helmet? Thanks
I was in need of a quick dual sport helmet. Had I known that it wasnt going to get that cold I would have just used my MX/goggle combo.

If you need a $100 helmet than its a great option. The visor worked great letting in almost no wind what so ever. The sun visor did break when I pushed it up with my hand but Cycle Gear gave me another one no questions asked.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
BaddAndy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Thanks for the report.