Old 03-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #181
Whec716
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2ro View Post
Nice.. Super Tennere?

Nope - Adventure 990 R

Speaking of, any Adventure owners in Houston that would mind helping me give the new bike a once over? I want to make sure to loctite/anti-seize the appropriate bolts, etc etc.

Whec716 screwed with this post 03-03-2013 at 08:15 AM
Whec716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #182
Bender
I can pass this guy.

Oddometer: 31,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counselor1 View Post
Nope - Adventure 990 R

Speaking of, any Adventure owners in Houston that would mind helping me give the new bike a once over? I want to make sure to loctite/anti-seize the appropriate bolts, etc etc.
I'd be more than happy to help, although I may be kinda late here. I got a garage, tools, and plenty of beer!
Old 03-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #183
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,312
Quote:
Nope - Adventure 990 R

You had better buy a gallon of Loctite and a mile of safety wire for that death trap. If I were you I would cut my losses and sell now. That thing is a widdow maker, the devils right hand, a killer.

I'll buy it from you!
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #184
ridewestKTM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,689
no problems

Quote:
Nope - Adventure 990 R

The only things I've lost from my 950 are a farring bolt but with that you'd loose the washer, and the bolt that holds the front fender. I have made my own washers but to avoid the problem use a little RTV. The nice things about RTV are it doesn't hold so tight that the inserts spin (really bad deal) and use it once and it's good for many removals.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #185
ridewestKTM
Beastly Adventurer

since I broke in here

Ought to introduce myself.
I'm also new to the area (Nov). Been tring to find places to ride and have been a bit dissapointed. grnegz has been showing me some of his routes and we went to hill country once. I went up to Sam Houston NF yesterday found maybe 10mi of dirt road. Oh well I came here for a job - what can I expect?
Phillip
Old 03-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #186
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridewestKTM View Post
Ought to introduce myself.
I'm also new to the area (Nov). Been tring to find places to ride and have been a bit dissapointed. grnegz has been showing me some of his routes and we went to hill country once. I went up to Sam Houston NF yesterday found maybe 10mi of dirt road. Oh well I came here for a job - what can I expect?
Phillip

Look on your maps at the Bellville area and out around Sealy/Columbus. Lots of dirt roads. And also north of the forest up to Huntsville and east of I45, Porter and such.
One of these days this fourm will generate a ride.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
Old 03-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #187
ridewestKTM
Beastly Adventurer

Hope so on the ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Look on your maps at the Bellville area and out around Sealy/Columbus. Lots of dirt roads. And also north of the forest up to Huntsville and east of I45, Porter and such.
One of these days this fourm will generate a ride.
Those are the areas I have been visiting - but I have to look again for Porter.
I am spoiled. I am from ID and have ridden ID, Wy, NV, AZ, OR, WA. It's like a different world here. A ride in the rockies usually starts with "where to" and then "how" and then "CAN WE MAKE IT?". Not "which roads are we going to ride"? A 400 mi ride might have 20 mi pavement, two farms and a pickup truck pass by.
I have yet to learn the art of picking out which roads are dirt. I am use to setting the GPS on "shortest" and get a dirt road. I got onto two nice roads in SHNF using this technique only to find they were closed to motorized.
At least riding is year round (if I can take the heat - I think so)
Anyway thanks for the input - perhaps we can meet up some day.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #188
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridewestKTM View Post
Those are the areas I have been visiting - but I have to look again for Porter.
I am spoiled. I am from ID and have ridden ID, Wy, NV, AZ, OR, WA. It's like a different world here. A ride in the rockies usually starts with "where to" and then "how" and then "CAN WE MAKE IT?". Not "which roads are we going to ride"? A 400 mi ride might have 20 mi pavement, two farms and a pickup truck pass by.
I have yet to learn the art of picking out which roads are dirt. I am use to setting the GPS on "shortest" and get a dirt road. I got onto two nice roads in SHNF using this technique only to find they were closed to motorized.
At least riding is year round (if I can take the heat - I think so)
Anyway thanks for the input - perhaps we can meet up some day.
Yeah, you are right. But quit rubben it in will ya! But we do have the Big Bend State Park. It's only about 10 hours drive Oh and Ark. About 12 hours
Old 03-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #189
mattlikesbikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Just joining the DS crowd, but a Lifer for Houston. I just picked up my 2009 F650GS up in Dallas last week and drove home via Waco and Hwy 6. Was a blast, though looking forward to making the same ride with the sun up.

Got out to Cyprus yesterday on what was just an errand, but turned into a 100 miles. Oh well.

I'm in the Med Center and am looking for folks to ride with. Still learning my way around a bigger bike.

Oh, and anyone interested in buying a nice 150cc scooter, I don't think I'll be riding it ever again. Needs more power.
mattlikesbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:45 AM   #190
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Welcome to the addiction Matt... I'm an MDA'r myself.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #191
EnduroRdr
Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlikesbikes View Post
Just joining the DS crowd, but a Lifer for Houston. I just picked up my 2009 F650GS up in Dallas last week and drove home via Waco and Hwy 6. Was a blast, though looking forward to making the same ride with the sun up.

Got out to Cyprus yesterday on what was just an errand, but turned into a 100 miles. Oh well.

I'm in the Med Center and am looking for folks to ride with. Still learning my way around a bigger bike.

Oh, and anyone interested in buying a nice 150cc scooter, I don't think I'll be riding it ever again. Needs more power.
Sure you will - it's now your backup Dual Sport!

EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #192
ScottBc1
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Whats up Texas

Whats up Houston. Came down to the Texas Triangle from Indiana to work on some heat treat furnaces. I Brought my Drz and Camping/riding gear down with me. I'm staying in North central Houston by the G.B. Airport I'll be trolling the threads looking for some adventure this Weekend. Feel free to P.M. me or whatever if you know of such or would like to join in such adventure.
ScottBc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #193
ScottBc1
n00b

D.s. camp in Sam Houston

According to the U.S.D.A. Forest service web page there is camping and 85 miles of ohv trails in Sam Houston forest. If anyone knows any more details or if this is true or worth it let me know.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #194
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBc1 View Post
According to the U.S.D.A. Forest service web page there is camping and 85 miles of ohv trails in Sam Houston forest. If anyone knows any more details or if this is true or worth it let me know.
True. Go to the " Trail Heads" for maps or down load from the parks web site. You need an off road permit sticker on your bike ( $12) . Usually, Honda of Houston, 290 w. and West road has them at the parts counter.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #195
ScottBc1
n00b

Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
True. Go to the " Trail Heads" for maps or down load from the parks web site. You need an off road permit sticker on your bike ( $12) . Usually, Honda of Houston, 290 w. and West road has them at the parts counter.
I'm Plated street legal in Indiana. Do I still need a permit sticker? Thanks for the heads up. Looks like I'm going up there Sat. Morning.