Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #241
Grits&Gravy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcautox View Post
Howdy fellow Houstonians! I spent at least 7 weeks searching for and finally found a KTM 990. I got lucky because this bike was only a 55 minute/$80 flight north to Dallas. 2011 990 R with only 2600 on the clock. Darn near stock with an un-mounted 690 fender for a high option, wider (and taller?) Renthal bars and KTM tank bag. I turned a 3.5 hour return trip into a 6 hour trip because I was having way too much fun. May have hit top speed on a deserted but pristine back road, drove past a state park....immediately turned around and explored (read: had no idea where I was headed) until I was stopped by a helpful ranger (note to self: buy park permit ). And that's why I bought a 990-went from very high speeds to mud/loose sand in an hour!

Just looked at a map-I was in Gus Engeling State Park NW of Palestine.

Congrats! That's a nice ride you have there. Let the farkling begin....
Grits&Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #242
Whec716
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by my6 View Post
Once again it's much too nice a day to spend it sitting here at the computer. Think I'll ride up to Spring and check out some old dirt...
Where is Spring do you ride?
Old 04-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #243
urbanXJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by lddave View Post
Not into group rides .
I will be a the track each day just wondering if others were going to be there .

Dave
tickets for Turn 15

staying at Homewood Suites
Old 04-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #244
EnduroRdr
Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntheavy View Post
Anyone in the Houston area care to teach a gps newb how to create tracks.and.load them into a gps? Got a darn good deal on a Montana, and after fighting with google earth, google maps, and base camp I realized I don't have a clue what is going on...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Some good tutorials here:

http://ridedualsport.com/forum/index.php?board=76.0
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #245
stuntheavy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Thanks guys I'll give it another shot. I'm trying to convert the TAT maps into tracks.

stuntheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #246
EnduroRdr
Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntheavy View Post
Thanks guys I'll give it another shot. I'm trying to convert the TAT maps into tracks.

Here's some basics to remember (but you probably know some of this already).

At track is a set of points that lays out on the map like breadcrumbs. It doesn't change it is just there to show the path.

A route is where your gps tells you which way to go. If you use "Auto Routing" it is dynamic and will change as you travel - in other words it updates if you miss a turn etc.

If you have maps loaded you will find that routing on a TOPO map is point to point. So if you say I want to go from this point to that point it will draw a direct line to it (handhelds with TOPO maps assume you can cross the land and dont have to follow a road).

If you are routing with road maps like - NA 2013 aka North America Streets 2013 (or older versions) now it will route using a road "NOT A DIRECT LINE GOING POINT TO POINT" like in TOPO maps.

In either case, a track will still be a set of bread crumbs showing a path along the map (TOPO or Streets). This is why a lot of riders prefer to have tracks to follow.

I tried out Base Camp, but after having used both I prefer Map Source. I also have TOPO and Streets loaded on the PC so I can load either one.

Most times going on D/S rides I just use the Streets in my Garmin 60csx. I have found that even the smallest roads (some that dont qualify as a road) usually show up in the Streets maps.

I also like to have both tracks and routes. It takes a lot of time of you are trying to create both. The routes are easier and faster to make but once in a while they will send you way off track. Every once in a while I find that it doesn't realize that you can connect two roads together so it will send you miles out of the way to connect the next wayoint.

I have been using my Garmin for about 5 years now and I still get hung up once in a while - like last week in Arkansas I forgot that my 60csx only allows 500 points in a saved track. I loaded some tracks given to me and forgot to consolidate the tracks before downloading to handheld - well my hand held just stopped the track once it got to 500 so on the map while riding the track just ended prematurely. If i had used the consolidation trick before downloading it would not have happened. (in map source, if you right click and check the properties of a track, you can select the limit to maximum # like in my case 500) and it will automatically cut out all the redundant points (like 20 points in a straight line) but leave more points where there are lots of turns. You see the PC doesn't care how many points are in your track it is a limit of the handheld and mine "the 60csx" limits to 500 for saved tracks. I can log many more tracks on my 60CSX and up load them to PC - I have one track from last week where my gps logged over 4000 points - it is just the "saved track" files within the gps. I know this gets complicated. And this post is getting long winded! So if your buddy that has another brand gps that allows him to "Save" tracks larger than your gps will allow you to save - you will have to remember to consolidate your tracks to the number YOUR gps is limited to. I dont know what the Montana limits are but I suspect you can save tracks larger than 500 points. The 60csx is a great unit but it is dated and was originally intended "as a handheld" for hikers in mind so that 500 limit was one of the things that needed to be improved once it got popular with the wheeled crowds.

The best advice I can give is - DO THE TUTORIALS! And ride with other guys and ask questions. Sooner or later you're going to ride with someone that is savvy and will clear things up.

EnduroRdr screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 07:01 PM
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:31 AM   #247
Whec716
Gnarly Adventurer

Te 610

Any of you fine Houston riders have a TE 610?
Old 06-25-2013, 06:19 AM   #248
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counselor1 View Post
Any of you fine Houston riders have a TE 610?

I have a 2000 TE610e and a 99 ( I think, it's a work in progress ) TE610.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #249
Whec716
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
I have a 2000 TE610e and a 99 ( I think, it's a work in progress ) TE610.
pm sent
Old 06-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #250
Grits&Gravy
Gnarly Adventurer

Newgulf

Took a ride this morning.... Left the house around 6:30am and went to Bob's Tacos in Rosenberg From here I went to Newgulf and took some pics of the old smoke stacks where the Boling sulphur mine was.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #251
Bender
I can pass this guy.

Oddometer: 32,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits&Gravy View Post
some pics of the old smoke stacks where the Boling sulphur mine was.
Tell me more about this place??
Old 06-30-2013, 05:27 AM   #252
Grits&Gravy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Tell me more about this place??
Just google Newgulf sulphur mine or Newgulf, TX you will find plenty....

It is private property, but the guy that was working at the power generation plant saw me and came over and spoke for a few minutes. He told me that they might lock the gates and I could get locked in, and was just basically being nice and telling me that I didn't need to go any further onto the property or ride any further down the road. I was only 100 yds inside the gate and the gate didn't have any "private property" or "keep out" signs. Of course, it would be fun to plunder around there some more, but the pic of the stacks is enough for now.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #253
Grits&Gravy
Gnarly Adventurer

I left Katy at 6:30 this morning and went back to Bob's Taco's in Rosenberg for breakfast again. Must be a reason for that..... Anyhow, the other weekend I was headed for Galveston, but changed plans so this morning I went back to my original plan and made it to Freeport and Surfside Beach.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #254
Kerfuffle
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits&Gravy View Post
Anyhow, the other weekend I was headed for Galveston, but changed plans so this morning I went back to my original plan and made it to Freeport and Surfside Beach.
I tend to leave LJ on days like this, it gets so busy with beach traffic. I almost went the other way today to Rosenberg and then Brenham!
Old 07-14-2013, 06:52 AM   #255
Grits&Gravy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerfuffle View Post
I tend to leave LJ on days like this, it gets so busy with beach traffic. I almost went the other way today to Rosenberg and then Brenham!
I took backroads with very minimal hwy zigging and zagging my way down. There wasn't any traffic at all for me.

I usually spend a little time mapping a route before I go riding anywhere and if anyone rides with me they are always surprised or asking me how I know these roads..... I just put a little effort into my route planning so that I get away from the main roads and the traffic.

It was a good day and another ride to somewhere I've never been before.