Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 12:22 AM   #1
kawazukiman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
How to get a Letter of Compiance for my KLR?

I'm moving back to Oz and need a Letter of Compliance from Kawasaki Australia for my 2006 Canadian KLR in order for me to import. Called several dealers who can't help me and can't get anyone to answer at Kawa headquarters, so any good ideas?

Gov Oz told me it is not going to be easy but it can be done, but since none of the dealers I've called, maybe 20, I guess their right. I really want to bring my bike back with me but not sure what to do as of yet.
kawazukiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,338
I think the rule is, you need evidence you've owned it for longer than 2 years whilst overseas to bring it with you
Old 06-20-2013, 12:28 AM   #3
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,914
The only way to get a letter of compliance is from the manufacturer or manufacturer's representative, or go through the RAWS process assuming some does it for your bike.

Have you owned it longer than 12 months and been out of the country for the entire time? If so maybe bringing it as personal import would be better, no Letter of Compliance required.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:32 AM   #4
kawazukiman OP
Adventurer

I've been away for 40 years and have owned my klr new since 2006. Can't go through raws as it is not listed there and I am already bringing my DL1000 as my personal import so that is why I would need the Letter of Compliance for my second bike.

I did ask the dealers for a phone number of the manufacturer or representative but none would give me this info. Also went to Kawasaki au website, but they have a form that wants my VIN and Australian address and contact otherwise can't contact them so couldn't make that work since I live in Canada still.

kawazukiman screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 01:13 AM
Old 06-20-2013, 02:18 AM   #5
berty
the new guy

Oddometer: 331
import your dl and ride the klr back to oz through asia just a thought
berty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:55 AM   #6
aussi bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I don't know if it helps i know a guy who imports cars and bikes from the states and he can comply them i think as long as there are bikes like it registered in Australia he can probably do it i will ring him tomorrow
aussi bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:07 AM   #7
bigeddy
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I'd get in touch with these guy's - http://qldimports.com/motorcycles/ they just helped me out with my personal import compliance but can also do RAWS. If they can't do it, I'll bet they know someone who can!
bigeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
kawazukiman OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by berty View Post
import your dl and ride the klr back to oz through asia just a thought
My Wife's from Thailand, so a possible option to visit her roots on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussi bob View Post
I don't know if it helps i know a guy who imports cars and bikes from the states and he can comply them i think as long as there are bikes like it registered in Australia he can probably do it i will ring him tomorrow
Thanks aussi bob, that would be great if he could do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeddy View Post
I'd get in touch with these guy's - http://qldimports.com/motorcycles/ they just helped me out with my personal import compliance but can also do RAWS. If they can't do it, I'll bet they know someone who can!
Will give them a try too, thanks bigeddy!
Old 06-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
panhead_pete
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
I bring bikes in and compliance will most likely cost between $2500 and $3500.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #10
kawazukiman OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_pete View Post
Yeah, they're not getting that from me, especially since there is nothing to comply and they are the same models, same emissions, turn signals, lights on etc as here.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #11
panhead_pete
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawazukiman View Post
Yeah, they're not getting that from me, especially since there is nothing to comply and they are the same models, same emissions, turn signals, lights on etc as here.

Well then its not likely to happen. Stock HDs require VERY little to go through and the lower end of that scale is mates rates. Minimum it will need brand new tyres and the turn signal lenses, head light and tailight may also need to be replaced with correct ones. Possibly more if its not absoluely stock. Its not as simple as most folks think. Import Approval also needs to be managed through the compliance provider, not yourself for late bikes (post 88).
Old 06-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #12
Goosefeather
Captain Slow

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_pete View Post
Bikesales shows two 2006 KLR650s - one at $5K and one (slightly dinged) at $3.5K. $5-6K can buy a 2nd hand 2010 model.

Think about stripping any goodies, offloading the bike, and importing the goodies and cash with you?

The way the Ozzie dollar is going downhill, the longer you take, the better off the exchange rate will be for you
Goosefeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #13
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,914
Thats probably the best bet. Short of going somewhere where it is not so damn regulated.

I imported a bike into the US last year. I am not a resident, just a tourist, it took all of 15 minutes. Half that time was spent discussing the Senora Catus. When I went to register I didn't need to find all sorts personal papers to register it either.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:15 PM   #14
kawazukiman OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciedema View Post
Thats probably the best bet. Short of going somewhere where it is not so damn regulated.

I imported a bike into the US last year. I am not a resident, just a tourist, it took all of 15 minutes. Half that time was spent discussing the Senora Catus. When I went to register I didn't need to find all sorts personal papers to register it either.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2
The regulation in oz is scary and I'm learning this everyday. They have a law for everything and then some. It's like a gang has taken over the country extorting money from every area they can. Going to take some time to get used to, but I can always leave if it doesn't feel like home since I've been away so long. Might try six months first with my Wife and see how it goes before taking the plunge. I was in Whitsundays two years ago and just loved it though.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:18 PM   #15
kawazukiman OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosefeather View Post
Bikesales shows two 2006 KLR650s - one at $5K and one (slightly dinged) at $3.5K. $5-6K can buy a 2nd hand 2010 model.

Think about stripping any goodies, offloading the bike, and importing the goodies and cash with you?

The way the Ozzie dollar is going downhill, the longer you take, the better off the exchange rate will be for you
That has crossed my mind Goosefeather! Just take off all the farkels and start new again later, but I have grown close to my klr and don't want to give up just yet. I did find a chap today that will do it for around $400 so I'm feeling better already.