ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #31
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
Map pocket of tank bag, forget about hard mounting something so big and heavy on a dirt bike, it will vibrate itself to pieces.
wouldnt like that myself i dont think too much head movement and focus adjustment
Old 02-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #32
usagi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy_Holly View Post
the fire has a GPS?
Damn, I hadn't noticed, but it's only the 8.9 LTE version that has it onboard. Bluetooth gps connection is an option, but it would mean two batteries being drained at the same time. I guess that wouldn't be a huge deal except for very long rides. The Nexus One could be stripped to the bare essential software and just host GPS if I don't want to drain my main phone.
usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #33
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
wouldnt like that myself i dont think too much head movement and focus adjustment
I guess the question is how often do you have to actually look at the GPS.

For city routing, where you may be completely dependent on the GPS for 'turn by turn' directions and refer to it constantly (which IMHO is a major distraction and hazard), than a face level, mounted GPS would be necessary. I find for off-road/country road GPS (using topo maps rather than turn by turn routing/guidance) where the roads are long (think outback Australian roads and tracks) and I am not relying on the GPS for routing, I just refer to it occasionally to see where I am relative to the map. Often I'd use the opportunity to stop for a break, have a drink and figure out where I am relative to where I want to be . . . and for that the tank bag position is much better (and also doesn't obstruct forward visibility).
Old 05-11-2014, 01:02 PM   #34
Vic5491
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Nexus 7, Sygic and custom multi-waypoint routes

I just found your post and you are just the guy I have been looking for! I am considering a new Nexus 7 (2013) with 32gb memory and Sygic on my VStrom 650. I only ride on the road now. I'm 68 and recently learned that old bones break easily and heal slowly!

My question to you is if it is possible to program a complex route easily within Sygic. When I plan routes, I almost never go the logical way so a program that only allows Point A to Point B navigation won't be of much use to me.

In the past I have been using a Garmin Nuvi 765t and lugging along my pc so that I can program my route at night in the motel using MapSource. I would love to lose the pc and just have a tablet along.

If you have found a way to easily program multi-waypoint routes in the Nexus 7 and then have Sygic get you down that road with voice directions, I would sure like to know how to do that!

Cheers,
Vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
I use a Google/Asus Nexus 7inch Android (Jellybean) based tablet running Sygic for onroad and OziExplorer for offroad. Very high quality screen relative to conventional purpose built GPS hardware so good for aging eyes (mine included) plus you get all of the functionality of a tablet as well.

Not ruggedised or waterproof but sits in the map pocket of my tank bag which works well (I dont need to constantly refer to the GPS). Cheap enough (at <$300) to lose - I have felt the pain losing an $800 purpose built GPS when it took a dirt nap!

IMHO a 10 inch tablet is too big, 7 inches works well (so the girl said) and combined with the high(er) quality screens you get with tablets, seems to be an optimum mix between screen real estate and portability.
Vic5491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:38 AM   #35
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic5491 View Post
I just found your post and you are just the guy I have been looking for! I am considering a new Nexus 7 (2013) with 32gb memory and Sygic on my VStrom 650. I only ride on the road now. I'm 68 and recently learned that old bones break easily and heal slowly!

My question to you is if it is possible to program a complex route easily within Sygic. When I plan routes, I almost never go the logical way so a program that only allows Point A to Point B navigation won't be of much use to me.

In the past I have been using a Garmin Nuvi 765t and lugging along my pc so that I can program my route at night in the motel using MapSource. I would love to lose the pc and just have a tablet along.

If you have found a way to easily program multi-waypoint routes in the Nexus 7 and then have Sygic get you down that road with voice directions, I would sure like to know how to do that!

Cheers,
Vic
Osmand+ will do it, nice and easy: plot an a to b route, then add your waypoints you want to hit along the way

. Sygic but will not nearly so easily.

Also, the hisense sero 7 pro out performs the nexus but is only $150 at Walmart. Has a sdcard slot, flash, and front rear camera too. :

ohgood screwed with this post 05-12-2014 at 05:25 AM
ohgood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:56 AM   #36
Tnkrplt
Stealth Wee

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic5491 View Post

Cheers,
Vic
Have you considered a gps with blue tooth connected to a headset for turn by turn directions? Would reduce relying on visually seeing upcoming turns. I'm going with the new Zumo 590 myself and use a Sena BT headset. It has a 5" screen for better readability. I also use www.tyretotravel.com program for trip planning. It uses google maps/earth and is Garmin/TomTom compatible.