Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #46
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,047
That's one reason why the Middle East is always in such turmoil. They are always trying to get even with one another for real or imagined insults from yesterday to ten thousand years ago. Makes the Hatfield/McCoy feud look like amateurs.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #47
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
That's one reason why the Middle East is always in such turmoil. They are always trying to get even with one another for real or imagined insults from yesterday to ten thousand years ago. Makes the Hatfield/McCoy feud look like amateurs.
I thought all that tension started over an oil thread.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #48
yair1956
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
..... he..he...he...I assume that you are considering the MIDDLE EAST, hanging over there is like playing a Russian Roulette, there is a good chance that you will come back, the question is if it will be vertically or horizontally ..... your best chance is kicking back on the beaches in Tel-Aviv, chasing beautiful chicks, enjoying great food, music, & some great rids with the local Motorcycle Club .. believe me, I know what I'm talking about, I'm an X Israeli Paratrooper .. Krav Maga & Hisardot (Survival) are great, but with all the respect , you should try them first in the South Bronx Compton or East LA ..they will do a very little for you alone in the M/E..
anyway. I wish you a safe & great trip Ride safely
& may his mighty guide your way.
Cheers

Yair
yair1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:44 AM   #49
ewajeff
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Want to learn a quick disarm technique?

Smile naturally - it puts people at ease, opens doors and paves the way for good intentions.

You're a guest in someone's country so act like it. Be courteous, be respectful, be friendly, trust in the generosity of strangers, smile lots and ask questions when you don't know something, these things will safeguard you more than worrying about being attacked by the nearest bystander who's just out getting the groceries or picking up the kids from school. Knowledge of local customs and a few basics in the regional language will take you much further than a weapon and 4 months worth of martial arts training in any discipline.

Someone mentioned situational awareness, and that is excellent advice - knowing about a dangerous situation and being able to move away prior to being shoved in the middle of it is the absolute best self-defence.

In terms of the Middle East, have only travelled through Egypt for 3 1/2 weeks, however the wife and I found the people there to be generous, friendly, open of heart & mind, and far more genuine and honest than just about anywhere else we have been. And we felt far less concerned for our safety there than while travelling through many US cities.

Act friendly and you'll make friends. If you act like a target, you will more than likely become one, and that's true for most countries. Except Japan, where you'll most likely be a target for random acts of extreme helpfulness ...

- Kahlil Gibran -
ewajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #50
divrnr
ROAD WARRIOR

Oddometer: 89
When traveling in the backwoods of the US...

A Glock 23 with a fast pull inside the waist holster... and inside my backpack a Kel Tec Sub2000 .40, now you would have a handgun and a carbine that use the same mags...

That's what I travel with... Come on horny bears, let's dance!

You know, for those Deliverance kind of places...

If it's good enough for Gunny it's good enough for me...

and the sub2000

divrnr screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 07:30 PM
divrnr is offline   Reply With Quote