Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #31
NSpooner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
I've got a 2005 Vibe and really its a solid little car. I use it for work and I'm a sales rep so I need something that is dead reliable plus some room for samples and catalogs. I have 120k miles on it now and I think it will hit 200 without much issue. I will say its a boring car to drive though and has no power but it gets good mileage and always starts which is big for me. If I didn't put 35k miles a year on my cars for sure I would have something else (my wife always gets the fun cars) but for what it is I can't find much fault in it.
NSpooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #32
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 40,731
I have a 2005 GMC Canyon, just rolled over 100,000 miles.

Two minor recall for brake lights.

Had to replace a tail light.

The overhead dome light won't stay on consistently when the door is opened.

The Horror, The Horror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nskitts View Post
I'm sorry your dog died before you got to beat it with a dead chicken.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #33
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSpooner View Post
I've got a 2005 Vibe and really its a solid little car. I use it for work and I'm a sales rep so I need something that is dead reliable plus some room for samples and catalogs. I have 120k miles on it now and I think it will hit 200 without much issue. I will say its a boring car to drive though and has no power but it gets good mileage and always starts which is big for me. If I didn't put 35k miles a year on my cars for sure I would have something else (my wife always gets the fun cars) but for what it is I can't find much fault in it.

My son's car is an 05 Matrix, A/T, awd with 140K+ on the odometer. I bought it used to replace the biggest POS I have ever owned, a Dodge Neon that was his first car. Other than some minor work I did to the car when I bought it used, damage from the previous owner, it has been a good car for him. It needs the exhaust replaced but it is the original as far as I know and in NH a 7yo stock exhaust is very good.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #34
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 5,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourKraut View Post
I think the point is that all cars are garbage now and you just have to get lucky and sell them at five years old.
This thread seems like another great opportunity for me to say what a piece of shit my GMC truck is. I hate it and it is a pile of shit. I passed one just like it on fire the other day (route 89 in NH) and said out loud, "God I wish that was mine."

Anyways- I think you're right. They're all junk these days. I'm trying to talk my wife into leasing our vehicles from here on out. Drive nice new stuff all the time and give it back before it's out of warranty. Sweet deal.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #35
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,246
I have a 2003 Silverado Duramax that I bought new. 152,000 miles now, pulled lots of trailers with it. Still like new and actually has original brakes with lots of meat left. Gets honest 20+ mpg on the highway and with my programmer will run away from most cars. Those japs don't know how to build a real truck yet.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #36
bolink654
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I dunno about the newest stuff... but I have a 1998 Toyota Camry with 235k on it. Worst problem so far was at 215k a leaking front transmission seal. I changed it in the driveway in 2 rainy crappy days. Last tank of gas it pulled in 30.5 mpg. I'm hoping for 300k out of it. Just put all new belts, hoses, tires, brakes, struts on it.

Also, 1982 Toyota pickup, the odometer stuck at 298k, however a previous owner put the engine and trans out of a 91 in it. Would be a really nice truck if there was anything left of the driver seat.

Also own a 1997 Ram with 215k on it. Rebuilt transmission at 160k. Dash is about gone. Needs ball joints.

Just recently bought a 1965 Mustang and a 1999 Mustang. The 1999 Mustang is nicer than similar year Chevys and Dodges, but it does not hold a candle to the Toyotas. And the 65... Hey 'Murica knew how to build cars back then.
bolink654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #37
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytelyte View Post
Never before in my life did I actually believe that a car would be built to last only 150 or 200k miles so you had to purchase again.
let's start by setting expectations- how long a expected life do you think cars should be built for?
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #38
Shadow10
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Similar experiences with GM (Holden) in my part of the world. The build quality is terrible, they will do anything to get out of warranty claims and the development is way behind. Ford don't fare much better. Now they are both crying poor and whining that sales are down resulting in cutting production and staff. Theres no way I will part with my hard earned for their over priced, poor quality, rolling pieces of crap.

Theres a reason why Toyota is so popular.
Shadow10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #39
JBADV
searching for sanity

Oddometer: 3,421
2013 Dodge Ram 1500, Motor Trend "Truck of the Year".
Old 12-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #40
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 5,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBADV View Post
If I paid them enough money my wheelbarrow would make "Truck of the year."
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #41
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytelyte View Post
Never before in my life did I actually believe that a car would be built to last only 150 or 200k miles so you had to purchase again.

I'm guessing your under 50. In the 60's just about any car with 100,000+ miles was one foot in the grave.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #42
JohnBoy777
Pseudo-Adventurist

Oddometer: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBADV View Post
As I recall, the Chevy Vega was Motor Trend's Car of the Year back in 1971 - now it sits at #5 on Edmunds 100 worst cars of all time.
JohnBoy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #43
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,755
My 1996 Full size Chevy pickup had decent quality, but it has gone through a some major parts in 235,000 miles. In the last 100,000, I have replaced both differentials, the transmission, the transfer case, and the engine. Total cost to run the truck per mile probably isn't that bad, compared to some of the new $50,000 diesel trucks. It only stranded me once when the fuel pump went out, and that was two blocks from the dealer. They came and towed me, and fixed it while I ate lunch.

My mother-in-law has a 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue that has been pretty much bullet proof, though it only has 120,000 miles on it, and she is meticulous with maintenance.

Supposedly recent build quality is better, but I can't imagine the recent government involvement in GM has improved anything. The new Fords seem pretty nice, but they do have some major warranty claims from failed transmissions, crankshafts, and such. Inconvenient, but not costly for the owner.

I also like that Ford is willing to experiment with lighter turbo cars and all wheel drive. If they could just do both in the same car, I'd be buying one. I was dissapointed when the new Camaro wasn't a 3,200 pound all wheel drive with a 350 horse turbo V6. My next car will likely be another Subaru or an Audi TT.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #44
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
The point is...it was built to a price point that GM wanted.
Sure. They were built on the same assembly line.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #45
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
If I paid them enough money my wheelbarrow would make "Truck of the year."
Will get better mileage for sure!

Ko

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote