User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #106
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 5,116
You know the biggest bummer for me?

I think the Volt is a really cool car. It would actually be an awesome car for my wife and I. But after my current truck being such a piece of shit there's no way I could talk myself into a Volt. I don't care if it's a different set of engineers. It's the same company and if they can't put out a simple truck that doesn't rattle, clunk, warp rotors, throw codes, and rust out, I have no faith that they can get a complex hybrid right.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #107
Jays-f800gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocodile Tears View Post
they got the wrong BMW

Soo true! I had an 87 535is, with 220k then I turbocharged it and D&D it until 250k, then took it back to stock and sold it. Still running great, and the leather is still intact and not ripped.
Jays-f800gs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #108
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastelloy-X View Post
How much for the truck?
Not sure if you were serious or not, but sent ya' a pm with a link to the ad.
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:41 AM   #109
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 5,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
If it won't hold, that tells me that something is worn, bent, or broken. Do the techs tell you what is out of spec and what they do to correct it? Also, is the rear alignment holding?

I know on the Gen 5 Camrys that the front lower control arm and strut designs were changed between '03 and '04. The guys on toyotanation said it was to weaken the link to lessen structural damage in a collision. I don't know what that does to parts longevity, though. Your Sienna may have a known problem that can be fixed that no one is telling you about. You might check over at toyotanation in the Sienna forum. http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/27...ion-2004-2010/

Addendum:

Reading over at TN, I found a link to a TSB for updated alignment specs for your van:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?odf5fyq5lya5ci2

It's not coming from Toyota's site, but it looks like the real deal. That won't help if the settings move around on you, though.
Hey thanks!

I get those computer generated reports, the show how far out the wheels were. But that's all. The techs have no idea what's wrong. One shop in GA. (Where we bought it) claimed it was nothing to worry about.

I'll look it up.

But seriously, no new Toyotas for me. They have lost the script, as have Honda in my opinion.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:08 AM   #110
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi View Post

But seriously, no new Toyotas for me. They have lost the script, as have Honda in my opinion.
So who is building a good quality car today, the Germans?
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #111
Badge320
Wild Hog No. 3

Oddometer: 3,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Muro View Post
that's an easy one. Did my research online and fixed it with a bypass. You CAN unlock it when it happens. It's seems a bit brutal but there is a procedure. You simply yank it back and forth against the lock several times like you're trying to rip the wheel off. Then you hold steady and forceful pressure in the CW direction with one hand at 3 oclock while you turn the key. IT WORKS. Then you drive it home and put a bypass in it.

Wait until your traction control / ABS / active handling dies. That one's easy too but costs about $250.
I actually tried that when it happened. No luck. I have the bypass kit installed.

My traction control/active handling light are on constantly...so I guess I'm there....

I've been driving it without traction control because I'm sick of spending money on this thing.
Badge320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #112
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
You know the biggest bummer for me?

I think the Volt is a really cool car. It would actually be an awesome car for my wife and I. But after my current truck being such a piece of shit there's no way I could talk myself into a Volt. I don't care if it's a different set of engineers. It's the same company and if they can't put out a simple truck that doesn't rattle, clunk, warp rotors, throw codes, and rust out, I have no faith that they can get a complex hybrid right.
Same bean counters as before.....I personally know...KNOW...that this car has the same ole GM problems, they are just not reported, rattles, crap plastic, windows fall off the track, brake hoses come off and tear....it is the same old GM....and now toss this wonder technology....ahh sorry you can't make a regular car what on gods green earth makes you think you can make something cutting edge....oh sure you can make it work for a month...maybe....but after that all bets are off.

Only thing worse is Dodge....my god are they crap.....and the new caprice....what a pile o' crap that thing is....I know departments that are staying way in droves....and I know we will never buy another charger....now the new Police interceptor/tarus...whatever....that thing we have had zero problems with so far.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:17 AM   #113
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,110
I was at the chevy dealer yesterday getting the first oil change done in my '12 Silverado and they had a Camaro sitting there with a $60K msrp? I had no idea those things got loaded up like that.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #114
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourKraut View Post
I was at the chevy dealer yesterday getting the first oil change done in my '12 Silverado and they had a Camaro sitting there with a $60K msrp? I had no idea those things got loaded up like that.
Oh no you din't! ZL1. ZR1 mill but a bit less power. Limited suppy.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #115
simmersonwheels
Asleep at Switch

Oddometer: 115
Each dealer visit a new wondrous surprise

2010 F150 lariat, the backup camera is intermittent. 66km out of warranty. (That's 40 miles!!) I've been complaining since new, documented on three services. Ford thinks it's likely the rear view mirror assembly. They haven't confirmed if they will cover it yet.
Here's the kicker. Retail for the rear view mirror, yes, the mirror glued to the windshield-
$1600.00
NO SHIT!!!!!
$1600.00
Even in those comfy lariat seats my ass hurts!!!
How can that mirror, with an LCD that is worse that a $40 POS camera be $1600?
Crazy. To make me feel better, the dealer mentioned a customer who smashed his exterior rearview door mirror on a loaded F350, and all the parts and labour came to just under $3k!
Wow, now I feel much better.
That said, still love the truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourKraut View Post
My F150 was much nicer to drive than the Silverado but it disintegrated before six years and 65K miles. The bottom line is that you cannot buy your way out of car problems any more. No matter what you get there's a good chance it is going to puke an expensive component the moment its warranty expires.
simmersonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #116
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmersonwheels View Post
2010 F150 lariat, the backup camera is intermittent. 66km out of warranty. (That's 40 miles!!) I've been complaining since new, documented on three services. Ford thinks it's likely the rear view mirror assembly. They haven't confirmed if they will cover it yet.
Here's the kicker. Retail for the rear view mirror, yes, the mirror glued to the windshield-
$1600.00
NO SHIT!!!!!
$1600.00
Even in those comfy lariat seats my ass hurts!!!
How can that mirror, with an LCD that is worse that a $40 POS camera be $1600?
Crazy. To make me feel better, the dealer mentioned a customer who smashed his exterior rearview door mirror on a loaded F350, and all the parts and labour came to just under $3k!
Wow, now I feel much better.
That said, still love the truck.
That tells me that today's trucks are not intended to be used for work. Can you imagine the pocketbook carnage if you took something like that to a jobsite?

The U.S. needs a simple pickup with 14 ga sheetmetal, solid axles, leaf springs, and an inline 6 with a granny-low 5-speed. Steel and vinyl interior that can be hosed out with a pressure washer. <$10k.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #117
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
That tells me that today's trucks are not intended to be used for work. Can you imagine the pocketbook carnage if you took something like that to a jobsite?

The U.S. needs a simple pickup with 14 ga sheetmetal, solid axles, leaf springs, and an inline 6 with a granny-low 5-speed. Steel and vinyl interior that can be hosed out with a pressure washer. <$10k.
Well, they are still made for work - just not the way the types of guys who used to buy Mercedes and BMW's might order them.

Base model trucks are still OK in my book. We got by for 70 years with trucks that had normal mirrors and tough bumpers.

Re: the second part of your post, I agree that to really make America flow again, while I agree with the EPA and regulations on so many other things, simple, rugged and cheap vehicles just aren't bad. But everyone who can make money off of what we have now, including insurance companies, are against it.

I plan to eventually go BACK to Chevy... say to a 1982 or 1975, and build it up from the frame. Simple, effective, and the 350 V8 parts are still very common... though even a straight 6 would be fine.

We once had what I believe was a late 70's work-yellow Chessie-system GM truck with a straight 6, 4.11 rear gears, super heavy duty suspension and a step-side bed (of all things). Simple as could be, rugged, and cheap.

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 01:24 PM
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #118
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,516
You guys want to see flashing lights on a 2009 Pontiac....all them scary ones ABS/Stabilitrak/TC ???? Just stop somewhere slippery, turn the ignition off and when your restart spin the wheels a little to get back on the road. They'll flash allright....!

Then you'll have to stop again to restart/reset them.Lots of fun if you are in traffic that. They don't tell you that it takes a certain distance for the systems to selftest and if you ever spin the wheels before that.....you'll get them lights.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #119
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,363
The mining industry needs a crush-proof people mover, somthing that can withstand being run over by a loaded Cat 797F. I'm thinking a dome shape with suspension that permits the chassis to ground under extreme load.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #120
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
So who is building a good quality car today, the Germans?

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: