ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
XB12R OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
Day rides out of Mesa

I'm in Mesa for 2 weeks and I'm wanting to do a few day rides. I'm riding a Buell XB12XT. I have already been to Tortilla Flats, Oracle, Globe, Superior and Roosevelt. Do any of you have any suggustions for other rides? Dirt/gravel roads are fine, so is super slab. I need to avoid the higher elevations. I'm well equipped but I did not bring any camping gear. Let me know. Thanks
Old 12-22-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
azredline
Wobbly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
For a fun full day ride, go down the back way to Tucson via Florence and hwy 79, Then get to I19 south, stop at San Xavier mission s. of tucson, it is worth a look.

Continue s on I19, cut west at Amado to Arivaca, coffee and pie at Gaddisons coffee shop, (3 berry pie).

Then N on 286 to 86. Go west a ways to go up Kitt Peak for a visit to the observatory, great twisties.

Contine west to Sells, (theres fuel at Sells,) then N. on 15 across the reservation to casa grande.

that will be a nice ride with lots of variety.

Have fun!
Old 12-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
jmlmjmjm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Here is a 300 miler from Mesa that is weather friendly.

Mesa, Maricopa, Gila Bend, Arlington, Wickenburg, Cave Creek, Fountain Hills, Saguaro Lake, back to Mesa.

You get dairy farms, dead cow road, more farms, Gillespie Dam, Hickman's Egg Farm, Palo Verde Nuclear Plant, remote desert, food in Wickenburg, bikers in Cave Creek, the worlds highest fountain, a view of our water retention system and a river that becomes our canals!

Here is a Mapquest link:

http://mapq.st/gLRzqL

Have a great ride.
jmlmjmjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,289
If you want to venture on to some easy dirt (no problem on an 1150GS with Tourances).

Go to Florence and find the Kelvin-Florence Highway. When you get to Barkerville Road turn right and follow your nose to Benson. Or when you get to Oracle return via Superior.

Hey Redline is that route all paved? I have a street only friend that wants me to lead him on a desert tour.

-dod
Old 12-22-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R View Post
I'm riding a Buell XB12XT.
Better change your board name.

If you decide to pass through Wickenburg, ping me. Maybe I can show you some of the local points of interest, such as my beer fridge.

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:47 PM   #6
XB12R OP
Beastly Adventurer

I got restless this morning and decided to ride to Young. I was planning on going through Tortilla Flats and Roosevet to get there. I took the pavement to where it turns to dirt and found a "Road Closed" sign. I went around it and but was stopped at the bottom of the canyon as 4 miles of the road was washed out. I back tracked than went through Globe to get to 288 that heads North to Young. I fought heavy rain than snow. The road turned to deep mud but I pressed on. I made it to Young right before dark. I could not get home the way I came because of the mud (I have Michelin Pilot Powers on it) so I pressed on north to 260 and came home via Payson. It rained/snowed the entire way home. I loved every minute of the trip.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:13 AM   #7
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 25,239
Quote:
I got restless this morning and decided to ride to Young. I was planning on going through Tortilla Flats and Roosevet to get there. I took the pavement to where it turns to dirt and found a "Road Closed" sign. I went around it and but was stopped at the bottom of the canyon as 4 miles of the road was washed out. I back tracked than went through Globe to get to 288 that heads North to Young. I fought heavy rain than snow. The road turned to deep mud but I pressed on. I made it to Young right before dark. I could not get home the way I came because of the mud (I have Michelin Pilot Powers on it) so I pressed on north to 260 and came home via Payson. It rained/snowed the entire way home. I loved every minute of the trip.
You're my kinda rider.

Wish I could join you but I have family from out of town for the holidays. Enjoy your stay here.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:37 AM   #8
XB12R OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcolbath View Post
Better change your board name.

If you decide to pass through Wickenburg, ping me. Maybe I can show you some of the local points of interest, such as my beer fridge.

S.C.

I'll do that. I pass through Wickenburg on the way home.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #9
azredline
Wobbly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOD View Post
If you want to venture on to some easy dirt (no problem on an 1150GS with Tourances).

Go to Florence and find the Kelvin-Florence Highway. When you get to Barkerville Road turn right and follow your nose to Benson. Or when you get to Oracle return via Superior.

Hey Redline is that route all paved? I have a street only friend that wants me to lead him on a desert tour.

-dod
Hey dod,
Yes, that is an all paved route, and very nice. I did it on my BMW LT street bike, and that thing self drops at the hint of dirt!
Old 12-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #10
XB12R OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by azredline View Post
Hey dod,
Yes, that is an all paved route, and very nice. I did it on my BMW LT street bike, and that thing self drops at the hint of dirt!

I'll do that ride tomorrow. I don't see Benson or Barkerville road on my map but I do see a dirt road between Florance and Oracle that goes past Black Mt. That must be it right? Is there anything in San Manuel?

Today after working on the folks house I went to Queen Valley North of Florance Junction. From there I took a dirt road North. The road started off good but got really bad after about 2 miles. I made it past Elephant Rock than the road turned into a KLR trail. I pressed on for another 4 miles and it continued to get worst. Since my bike is really a sport bike on sport bike tires I decided to turn around before something broke.

I'll post some pictures when I get home.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:07 PM   #11
gdspdblkdemperor
Captain Bavaria

Oddometer: 590
Quote:

-dod
+1

I did the Florence-Kelvin highway today after riding up to globe. On a K75 with way too much weight and worn lasertecs. You could do that easily on a sportsbike. Just keep an eye out for the occasional truck hauling ass in the middle of the road through blind corners (only encountered one today)
Go Fast: ZenMoto
Trans-Am Cycle Sales
gdspdblkdemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:49 PM   #12
XB12R OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

-dod

I did the Kelvin-Florance road today. I turned right on Barkerville and followed it to the end. I than turned right and after 10 miles it dumped me out on highway 79 near the Tom Mix site. I never seen Benson. This was a very nice ride with bout 30 miles of dirt and 20 paved.

After that I went to the San Xavier Mission. The mission was great but the traffic getting there sucked.

I really want to ride out to Show Low but I'm not sure it would be doable this time of year. What do you think?
Old 12-27-2010, 07:22 AM   #13
XB12R OP
Beastly Adventurer

Also, the bees love my new hi-viz jacket!
Old 12-27-2010, 07:26 AM   #14
noshoes
soñando con México

Oddometer: 2,116
Quote:
Also, the bees love my new hi-viz jacket!

Old 12-27-2010, 10:10 AM   #15
GEEEE..S..BILL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
I did the Kelvin-Florance road today. I turned right on Barkerville and followed it to the end. I than turned right and after 10 miles it dumped me out on highway 79 near the Tom Mix site. I never seen Benson. This was a very nice ride with bout 30 miles of dirt and 20 paved.

After that I went to the San Xavier Mission. The mission was great but the traffic getting there sucked.

I really want to ride out to Show Low but I'm not sure it would be doable this time of year. What do you think?
To get to Benson you would need to go to Oracle then take the Mt Lemmon hwy up a bit to the fork that takes you down along the San Pedro River. Dont recall names at the moment. The roads are on most maps.

SOOOoo...at the end of Barkerville you would make a left on Freeman Road... then make a right on Willow Springs Road. That dumps you out near the BioSphere. Make a left on the slab towards Oracle and the Mt Lemmon Hwy.

You can ride from Florence to Benson on almost all dirt.
GEEEE..S..BILL is offline   Reply With Quote