Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #31
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
She's not exactly a noob, but if conditions are a bit much for another rider's experience level, then THE EXPERIENCED RIDER SHOULD GO FIRST. Otherwise all that would happen is that the experienced rider gets to see the noob rider crash in front of them, as happened here. The experienced rider's ability to read the corner is for naught if they are following, the noob can blow it before a warning can be effectively issued.

The experienced rider can demonstrate a feasible speed for that corner which might be LOWER than the noob rider thinks. And no, the noob rider won't be any more encouraged to go too fast trying to keep up, than they would feel pressure to go fast because they think they are holding up the rider behind.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #32
FlagRS
Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer: 1,153
Wow - sorry to hear about your wife's "wipe out". Glad to hear she's not hurt too badly. Good for her for riding home. I can imagine how scary that must have been for her, she's one tuff cat.

I ride with my wife all the time and I prefer she rides up front, she prefers to ride behind, says she feels safer with me in front. We take turns. Best wishes to you both - Kurt in Flag
FlagRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #33
GAVic
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
She's not sure what to do, but it's her option. Personally, after watching her reaction and how she handled the moment- I would feel better if she never rode solo again. I know laying a bike down is inevitable- hell- I've done it 6 or eight times. But watching the most important person in the world to you go down in front of you is the worst feeling ever.
I have the same problem. My wife's mishap not near as dangerous as what your wife wen through but I do know where your coming from. I have just recently started riding again. I got my first bike when I was 15 and had one off and on until I was 28 or so. I am now 50 but I finally got me another one. When I decided to ride again I went and took the MSF coarse so I could get my license. They provide the bike and as I didn't figure anyone would let me test drive without my endorsement this seemed like the best solution. A little pricey, but still. So when I am signing up I ask my wife if she wants to try as well, and to my surprise she says ok. She passed the coarse, but she was not very good, on her riding test she was deducted the most points possible and still allowed to get her license. She aced the written of coarse, but that really is nothing.

A friend of hers says that she learned on a Suzuki GZ250 and she decided that she wants one. I figure if she feels comfortable then ok. We find a 2004 with only 500 miles on it and really good shape and inexpensive, so we get it. On her first ride when pulling back in the yard she doesn't stop in time goes off the driveway and lays the bike over in the grass. She breaks her toe and hurts her shoulder. She has not ridden the bike since and it's been about 3 months. The toe is ok now but she is still working on her shoulder. She likes riding with me, but I don't know if she is going to ride solo again. Maybe that is not a bad thing. Some people are just not cut out for it.
GAVic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #34
Onward
Title Here

Oddometer: 33
I'm always terrified that my wife might dump in front of me. She is always smarter than me and rides within her limits.

I took her for her first motorcycle ride 6 years ago, and told her then, "If you enjoy it great. You'll need your own bike." (I loathe two up.) So as a wedding gift I bought her a Ninja 250. Now two kids later, (no idea how many miles, and four bikes) I have been advised she wants a Ninja 1000.
Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:46 AM   #35
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansy View Post
First of all, Infidel... very glad to hear Mrs Infidel is OK. BTDT and maybe getting her back on was the best thing that could have happened for her.

I've never been a great rider... still have some anxiety on tight curves but I love motorcycling too much to give up. She'll have mixed emotions about riding after this.
Bottom line is she'll ride her own if she misses the feeling of control.
Best wishes to her what ever her decision!

and IMHO this guy's a jerk left over from the 1950's ! "Wifey" ? WTF
WOW......I guess I struck a nerve? You ARE quite the pansy
Old 12-12-2012, 07:21 AM   #36
Hookapelli OP
Adventure-Junkie

Oddometer: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Wow. Good thing it wasn't a $825 Shoei.

Sorry but I found it interesting that you felt compelled to mention the price of the helmet.

I hope she heals fast and well.
I didn't know insurance covered gear as well... I though I was out $800.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:22 AM   #37
Hookapelli OP
Adventure-Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrdr55 View Post
She 1
He 6 or 8

Riding it home was probably her least dangerous option.

Hey man... dirt drops count!!!!
Old 12-12-2012, 07:25 AM   #38
Hookapelli OP
Adventure-Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
She's not exactly a noob, but if conditions are a bit much for another rider's experience level, then THE EXPERIENCED RIDER SHOULD GO FIRST. Otherwise all that would happen is that the experienced rider gets to see the noob rider crash in front of them, as happened here. The experienced rider's ability to read the corner is for naught if they are following, the noob can blow it before a warning can be effectively issued.

The experienced rider can demonstrate a feasible speed for that corner which might be LOWER than the noob rider thinks. And no, the noob rider won't be any more encouraged to go too fast trying to keep up, than they would feel pressure to go fast because they think they are holding up the rider behind.
We usually switch off- I was afraid that if I was in front she would try to keep up. I was hanging back about 25 yards- but I can see your point. Maybe if she would have followed me through the curve she would have fixated on my bike instead of the t-wall.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #39
Hookapelli OP
Adventure-Junkie

FF Geico FF!!

I wasn't sure if I was going to make a claim (since I've never had to actually USE any of my insurance before- auto or bike), I called Geico to see what the repercussions of a claim on my rates would be....

An "informational" call automatically becomes a "claim" weather you use the funds or not!! WTF!!! So even though my wife had the accident- the claim goes against the policy and (per the Geico chick) I will see higher rates next year even if I drop her from the policy.

I have decided to use the claim to the fullest extent possible (since they're going to be dicks about it).

Fuckers!
Old 12-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #40
Queenie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Sierra...I assure you that there are MANY women out there riding their own that ride because they love it. I have been riding since I was 7. Grew up riding dirt and at 17 switched to a street bike. When hubby and I got married, we were both riding but gave of bikes to start a family with the plan being that when we got our boys outta the house, we'd get bikes again. In the interum, we had scooters and Trail 90's and 4-wheelers to play with.

Fast forward and my boys are teenagers but not outta the house and I GOTTA have a street bike again. My hubby WAS NOT HAPPY. I went out and bought a Suzuki VL800 and went traveling with friends. I'd call the hubby from the road and tell him how much fun we were having and how I wished he was with us. Only took 2 years of me doing that and he broke down and bought his bike and now we ride everywhere together. I ride my own because I always have and ride for the same reasons you guys do...I absolutely LOVE riding. It's my escape, my stress reliever, my fun.

In early October while on a group trip (8 bikes) to the Hill Country, my hubby was riding right in front of me and went down. It freaked me out but I am a very good rider and I kept my bike under control and stopped while missing the gravel patch he had hit when the road surface ended unexpectedly. Anywho...he broke ribs, his leg in 4 places but was otherwise ok thanks to gear and a helmet. He's been riding 40 years and this was his first down. So I know it's scary to watch your SO go down right in front of you. Good for you and her for getting back on the bike and riding. I hope she gets back on and rides again after the bike is fixed. If anything, this down shoulda taught her that 1) Gear works so wear it and 2) that a crash is survivable AND no big injuries! That'd make me feel better about riding! Good Luck!
Queenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #41
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaMud View Post
In MSF they teach you to stand up the bike to brake. Well sure that works alright in an empty parking lot, but in a canyon is makes you run into the dirt.
I haven't taken the course, but I use this method when I come into a corner too hot. This way I can float the rear tire near the limits of traction without getting the bike sideways. It has worked well for me so far, but I know there are times when it isn't an option.

Quote:
Originally posted by viverrid

I never thought about that angle. I suppose I think in terms of multiple experienced riders, where the slowest rider goes first to set the pace. It does make sense to guide an inexperienced rider through a ride, however, as long as the leader remembers to keep it slow and not run away from the "student". Good idea.

I'm sure glad the OP's wife had that $800 helmet. What a relief to hear "I'm OK" after watching her hit her head.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #42
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,040
Quote:
I priced the parts out to be about $900 online.

[...]

$3,200 Jeezus- I've bought 4 bikes from these guys- you'd think they'd try not to fuck me so hard!
A little off topic but it doesn't sound that high to me. Maybe you could deal it down to something like 2800$. If your online price is 900$ for parts only (brand new parts?), 3200$ for a whole dealer job is in line with what I'm used to see around. How do you want them to make some money and pay the labor?

Glad your wife is ok I must say.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #43
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,027
First, I'm very happy your wife is OK. That "$800 Shoei" saved her life, so forget how much it cost.

IMO, going over the crash footage right away was the wrong thing to do. Your wife is going to feel like you are judging her and patronizing her for crashing when all she wants is your love, understanding, acceptance and complete patience with her.

I know this because I did he same thing when my wife crashed five years ago, except we didn't have the go-pro. Her crash was not as bad as your wife's (low slide on some gravel turning onto a street). She also rode it home after we straightened the bars by putting the front wheel against a fence post and yanking 'em straight. I tried to "teach her" what went wrong -- and she, being patient and loving, didn't blow in my face immediately, but it boiled over later. All she wanted was to be comforted and for listening ears, not a teacher.

FWIW she continued to ride for about a year but always too cautiously (holding up traffic, etc). we had a long talk at one point and came to the conclusion that she did not want to ride anymore. Case closed, I didn't push it....and am still marred

In short, everything that happens now is up to your wife and your only purpose is to listen and support her decisions.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #44
5Chord
No Short-Term Memory

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:

Hey man... dirt drops count!!!!
Then I lost count!

Unfortunatley I had the experience of watching my girlfriend go down.....Twice

The first time was shortly after she passed the BRC. We were at Raceway Park Motocross practice and brought my TW-200 along as a pit bike....It was a simple washing out of the front wheel on gravel (See Pretty Girlfriend Hits The Gravel http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=730811 ) Lots of lessons learned and not much hurt.

The second time was a little different. This time I was on the Tee Dub and she was on her LX-150 Vespa. I live in a very mellow suburban area of NYC and decided we would spend some time cruising the local roads....She was doing fine; It was a beautiful April day and a great day for a ride. Then I fucked up. I was leading and started to twist the throttle a bit (on the straights) and I could see she was trying to keep up and having trouble with her speed control. As I watched her in my mirror yo-yoing from 100yds to just a few feet away, I slowed to get things under control. Then she passes me, target fixated on a tree, hopps the curb about 35mph.....A Wop Boppa Loo Bob a Wop Bam BOOM She washes the front wheel on the grass (Thank god) flies over the bars, hitting the grass chin first (full face helmet saves the day) does a front roll, lands on her butt and says Ouch!

She's fine but shaken. Being an ATGAT girl saved her bacon big time. As she brushes herself off, I'm in shock as this is the worst crash I have ever witnessed. After a quick test ride I proclaim the Vespa "Rideable" and suggest getting the bikes back to my house 2 miles away. She agrees and we get home without incident.

While mostly unhurt physically, (Her neck would bother her for sometime) she had taken quite a hit mentaly and emotionally. She lost her confidence, felt betrayed by me (I must take some of the blame) and as she sobbed deep sobs on my shoulder, she knew she probably wouldn't be piloting her own 2 wheeled machine for some time.

I had to take a hard look at her as a rider and now what would I suggest to her? I suddenly remembered how white her brothers face looked and how his voice shook when we told him about her scooter purchace. I brushed it off then, but what about now? She passed the MSF BRC course when some of her classmates didn't. Aren't you supposed to wash out (counsel-out as they call it) if you can't ride?? I know she just dodged a very big bullet and wondered if she would ever be that lucky again. I am considering getting her a lesson with the local MX pro at my track and take her in a different direction to learning to ride two wheels again.

As far as your wife goes, I think she'll be fine as long as she gets back on that horse REAL soon and doesn't let her demons get in her head.

Good luck!
Old 12-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #45
Hookapelli OP
Adventure-Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
First, I'm very happy your wife is OK. That "$800 Shoei" saved her life, so forget how much it cost.

IMO, going over the crash footage right away was the wrong thing to do. Your wife is going to feel like you are judging her and patronizing her for crashing when all she wants is your love, understanding, acceptance and complete patience with her.

I know this because I did he same thing when my wife crashed five years ago, except we didn't have the go-pro. Her crash was not as bad as your wife's (low slide on some gravel turning onto a street). She also rode it home after we straightened the bars by putting the front wheel against a fence post and yanking 'em straight. I tried to "teach her" what went wrong -- and she, being patient and loving, didn't blow in my face immediately, but it boiled over later. All she wanted was to be comforted and for listening ears, not a teacher.

FWIW she continued to ride for about a year but always too cautiously (holding up traffic, etc). we had a long talk at one point and came to the conclusion that she did not want to ride anymore. Case closed, I didn't push it....and am still marred

In short, everything that happens now is up to your wife and your only purpose is to listen and support her decisions.
Agreed. I think she's done (for now) as a solo rider- but that could change when she wakes up tomorrow.... as of this morning, she wants to get rid of the bike.

I just say, "Okay- what ever you want to do."

She actually found the video useful. Made her realize how fast conditions change on a bike. We then You Tubed a bunch of bike mishaps and she felt better. She just made me promise not to put the video on the web.