Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
Steve G. OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,626
GPS advice for a noob

I've been given the chance to buy my buddies 5 yr old Zumo 550, to replace my aging but trouble free Garmin 386. He's upgrading to a 350LM. I'm doing a 4 week tour of Central Europe next summer and it's getting tough to find any maps for the 386. He wants $200 for the whole package, mounts, charger/lines, current map packages, everything. His has been trouble free. I've heard that there's some issues with an inactive touch screen capability after a few years of use, and power inlet corrosion. I'm wondering if anyone has a comment on this particular device and the Zumo family in general.

Cheers, Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
You can buy a new system that will be faster and more accurate with new software and maps for about $120. It comes with all mounts and multiple power supplies. Great unit, highly recommend and maps and sofware are easy to come by. Uses standard Navtech maps and iGo Primo software which are free to download on the GPS forums.

http://www.chinavasion.com/china/who..._GPS_Navigator

There is a whole thread on it here http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697456
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
I think the 550 is one of the best. I know I have been very happy with my 450. I also have a Zumo 220 which I found very disappointing.
Garmin has just discontinued the 550 but they should still service them for the next year or so. So if you have a problem you will be able to get it fixed for about $150. Likely they will just send you a new unit.

Below is a link to a good thread on the Zumo line, in post 6 a user of the 350 makes an interesting comment.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=842954
Untill I'm ready

Mudcat screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 12:20 PM
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,921
The 550 is a pretty nice unit. I know a couple of folks who are very happy with them. $200 for everything sounds pretty good to me. Mounts and maps and cords can really add up.

That would get you up and running with everything you need. You could use it for a year or three and figure out what you like and what you don't like about it and use those newly developed preferences to help you decide on your next one. Personally, I would go for it.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
Steve G. OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
The 550 is a pretty nice unit. I know a couple of folks who are very happy with them. $200 for everything sounds pretty good to me. Mounts and maps and cords can really add up.

That would get you up and running with everything you need. You could use it for a year or three and figure out what you like and what you don't like about it and use those newly developed preferences to help you decide on your next one. Personally, I would go for it.

Yeah, he is one of those guys that likes to keep his stuff up to current technology levels, and buys ALL the extras in everything he gets, whereas I'm happy with the hand-me-downs. I was originally leary of the touch screen as I thought it would scratch easy when we got into dusty gravel, but his is scratch free.
I'm not super brand contious, but Garmin is one of those companies that been in this game for a while. Chinese knockoffs kind of scare me a bit, in any product.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
Yeah, he is one of those guys that likes to keep his stuff up to current technology levels, and buys ALL the extras in everything he gets, whereas I'm happy with the hand-me-downs. I was originally leary of the touch screen as I thought it would scratch easy when we got into dusty gravel, but his is scratch free.
I'm not super brand contious, but Garmin is one of those companies that been in this game for a while. Chinese knockoffs kind of scare me a bit, in any product.
The 550 has some real buttons too, unlike a lot of other units that have only the touch screen. But, for me anyway, it isn't like you have to be touching the screen all the time. When you need to do something that takes a few touches/keystrokes, like finding lodging, you want to pull over anyway and be stopped before dicking around, and that lets you take off a glove, so you're only touching it with a finger anyway.

Others can chime in, but I think the Zumo 550 is a workhorse that could give you years of good service. At $200 for the unit and all the accessories, I cannot think of any reason not to buy it. For that kind of $ for all that, you will probably have guys PMing you for your friend's number.

Heck, I'm still using my old StreetPilot 2720, but instead of on the bike, it has been passed down to the Jeep full-time, where it does a good enough job and I don't care about there being fewer bells and whistles.

The cheap chinese units might be fun to screw around with, but I wouldn't want to depend on one.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #7
Effjay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
I own Zumo 550 units for each of my motos in sig line - 1 purchased new in 2007 and 1 here used/refurb a few months ago. These are nice units, which I prefer for street moto use over the 4 (yes) StreetPilot units I own. Zumo 550 has an internal battery for walkabout nav and also accepts an SD card to which you can load mp3 or eBooks for entertainment between nav instructions. "Ms Jill" (or your preferred equivalent) will briefly override that audio output until the nav instruction is announced.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
Steve G. OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effjay View Post
I own Zumo 550 units for each of my motos in sig line - 1 purchased new in 2007 and 1 here used/refurb a few months ago. These are nice units, which I prefer for street moto use over the 4 (yes) StreetPilot units I own. Zumo 550 has an internal battery for walkabout nav and also accepts an SD card to which you can load mp3 or eBooks for entertainment between nav instructions. "Ms Jill" (or your preferred equivalent) will briefly override that audio output until the nav instruction is announced.

Kewl! The deal is done. $75 + a Norton front brake. Munich/Romania/Croatia here I come!!!