Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #31
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Matson View Post
If you ride less or about 100 mi and a mix of desert and single track and you haul the bike on a carrier then the 500 EXC would be perfect. I have a 950 and I would not take it on trails, I have my 450 for that, dirt roads ya but not the type of dirt that I have fun at. I hate to ride the 450 on the street even though I can. If you want a "Berg" Long Beach BMW had some the last time I was there. Another good choice would be a DRZ 400 I have a friend selling one that is like new for about $3500 and that is a bike you can ride on the street and dirt and they are good bike for tall people.
The DRZ is a fantastic bike, I'd love to have one but everyone knows how good and reliable they are whether ridden on pave or dirt. So to get one is almost impossible ....
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #32
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 625
I rode a DRZ for a year and it was good, but I would not say it's great. If you're not an agressive offroad rider it will be fine, but it's too heavy and doesn't have enough power or suspension to hang with a modern 450 class dirt bike. It's nowhere near a KTM 500 or the 'berg.
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #33
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by el queso View Post
I rode a DRZ for a year and it was good, but I would not say it's great. If you're not an agressive offroad rider it will be fine, but it's too heavy and doesn't have enough power or suspension to hang with a modern 450 class dirt bike. It's nowhere near a KTM 500 or the 'berg.
Having EXC's myself I can say: u are right. But your statement misses what this thread is about. And for combined pave and off road riding the Sozook is just the better choice cause sheer power plays no role and its engine and reliability is known all over the world.

6000 km service intervalls versus 10 hour oil changes says it all.

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #34
sledstorm1
CT RAMBLER'S MC CLUB

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveman View Post
If reliability counts KTM is the wrong bike to go for. Thats for sure. Having a BRP kicker my own plus having two KTM's (690 and 350) myself I really can tell you to go for something different.
I had alltogether 30 bikes (only one used one!) and 5 of them where KTM's. These were the only 5 which failed out in the woods far from home. None of the Japs bikes ever failed. Never ever, and I ride since ages...

Another possibility is to buy a new KTM 690 and ride it for a year only as commuter or weekend bike. Then after everything which can fail has failed and all the errors my Austrian fellows have made during assembling have been straightened they are darn good bikes. Going with a new KTM on a long trip is playing Russian Roulette.

Cheers
Steve

I'm on my 4th KTM with no problems...

DRZ's and WR's are dual sports...KTM's are race bikes, all of them, even exc's or dual sports are very performance orientated... I know lots of people buy used clapped out bikes and complain that the got shit boxes,but in reality, they got used up race bikes...

Buy a used 690 or 950 super enduro and start grinning

sledstorm1 screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 05:21 PM
sledstorm1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #35
CollinsB OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 939
The search is over... After looking at all options; KTM, Husaberg and a few others. I chose a Husky TE510!
I think it'll fit my needs well as a desert weapon and it's fully street legal / plated...I now get why the Huskies are often chosen rides by many Motard racers. It makes rediculous power everywhere, no matter what gear.

CollinsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:04 AM   #36
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledstorm1 View Post
I'm on my 4th KTM with no problems...

DRZ's and WR's are dual sports...KTM's are race bikes, all of them, even exc's or dual sports are very performance orientated... I know lots of people buy used clapped out bikes and complain that the got shit boxes,but in reality, they got used up race bikes...

Buy a used 690 or 950 super enduro and start grinning
Thats nothing new you are telling me. Buying used KTM's is one way (except the race bikes). The other way would be to introduce an ISO confrom quality management system. Something KTM will never get solved. There are examples enough ....

Merry Christmas
Steve
Old 12-24-2012, 06:07 AM   #37
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Congrats Brian, awesome bike. Keep an eye on the oil level, use high quality full synthetic 15/50 0r 10/60 oil and be a happy man

Merry Christmas
Steve
Old 12-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #38
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Awesome bike!

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #39
zen rider
veteran rider

Oddometer: 209
I have had many Hondas. But the KTMs are nice.

I never rode a XR650R. But my KTM 300XC is one of the lightest full-sized dirt bikes. Yes it is a two stroke. But that means no valves, easy and cheap maintenance, and pretty cheap on the used market.

My past Hondas:
XR650L - too heavy for true single track but great on B roads
XR400R - a bitch to start even with new carb; forks sucked compared to my KTM 300

My KTMs:
300XC: Very light, torquey plus high hp, awesome brakes, supension, and hydraulic clutch; dead reliable and easy to work on; the high seat is comfy and cheap ($120)

990 Adventure: too heavy to replace an XR650R, good bike, a pain to work on, 21" front tire is vague and numb in the fast curves on road making it rather very UN-sportbike like even though it can sort of keep up.

My recommendation:
New: get the 500exc if you want street legal; or a newer 300 XC-W with e-start

Used: get the older RFS KTM 400, the new Berg 390, or used KTM 300
Old 12-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #40
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
I had XRs forever
too many to list, drove em till the frames cracked apart
used to think they were so great
they had many problems too , transmissions, stators, cracked cylinder, crappy handling , horrible starting, terrible lighting , NO E START, shitty brakes
glad I didnt go with the new XRR and went KTM
rode the XrR and it felt like riding a water balloon compared to the 950
the 950 is my favoroite bike ever
next to the RFS
or 3 stroke
the 3 stroke is a race winner
Old 12-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #41
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,493
Congrats Brian, that is a great choice. Have fun with it.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #42
Ironwood
Friday Harbor, WA

Oddometer: 706
So Collins, is that a rotax engine? It is a good looking bike. I am going to replace my XRR at some point. I know that KTM is an attractive option, but not everyone understands that the XRR is not easy to replace. The reason, I think, is that it does so many things well and it also seems to shield the pilot from a lot of the harshness the desert deals out.
It is an easy bike to rack big miles on. I have never owned a KTM, but I know they are the Sharpest knife in the drawer. But they don't seem like a long-distance cruiser. I have been studying the BMW XChallenge. It may be a lot like the 510 you ended up with.
Ironwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #43
CollinsB OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
Is that a rotax engine? It is a good looking bike. I have been studying the BMW XChallenge. It may be a lot like the 510 you ended up with.
Not a rotax motor... It's closer in comparison to the BMW 450X, than the XChallange. It's lighter weight (to me anyway) and geometry a bit more racey. It's a whole different ride than the XRR.

Haven't had a chance to ride other than down the street. We'll see how it works out after this weekend in the desert!
Old 12-25-2012, 10:33 PM   #44
ktm55
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsB View Post
The search is over... After looking at all options; KTM, Husaberg and a few others. I chose a Husky TE510!
I think it'll fit my needs well as a desert weapon and it's fully street legal / plated...I now get why the Huskies are often chosen rides by many Motard racers. It makes rediculous power everywhere, no matter what gear.

Pretty bike! What is your planned usage ? Street:trail ratio?
ktm55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #45
CollinsB OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm55 View Post
Pretty bike! What is your planned usage ? Street:trail ratio?
It will be used for desert and mountain trail rides... 95% trail, 5% street. My previous ride (XR) was ridden onroad maybe 60 miles. Frankly; I dont think I put more than 1,400 miles total on the bike the entire time I owned it.