Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 04:38 AM   #1
TB650 OP
Would be Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Two Day Navigation Ride NSW 16th & 17th Feb 2013

Firstly this is free and just an idea to get like minded peeps together

This is not an organised ride, I am going on another two day navigation ride this one a little over 800km starting in Mittagong south of Sydney finishing in Wisemans Ferry. Navigation is meaning full GPS ride, yes if you want to come must have your own GPS. You need a GPS because like a map from a shop you can follow it if you want. The route will be loaded on your GPS at a pub TBA in Mittagong on the 15th Friday night only (no GPSs will be loaded Saturday morning I will be long gone) the route I believe will be suitable for all bikes if ridden to the conditions but thats your choice when you get to all if any obstacles. The route I am planning to ride has plenty to see, and will be a cracker if you choose to follow it like a map.
You need a 300km minimum fuel range just in case (remember a fuel bladder or the likes can be used to extend your range) and must have your own GPS that can have a map loaded on it. No 300km fuel range, no GPS, no ride. There is no support vehicle, no cornermen, no sweeps. People will be required to ride in at least pairs for safety sake. No solo riders this time, I will not be looking for or worrying about someone missing on their own. This time at least pairs or more so they would know if their buddy is missing or down its simple for putting this together its the only thing I ask.
This ride will have an overnight stay at Woodstock (Central west NSW) well thats where I am staying. The Royal Hotel offers accommodation and they may let you camp in the back yard should you desire. I reckon camping gear is a must should you for whatever reason not make the overnight stay or continue past it on day one.
This is not a race or a show of how big you think your dick is its not anything, just me riding and sharing a map as such, my map or where I am going finishes at Wisemans Ferry Pub arvo of the 17th.
Numbers won't be limited it isn't an organised ride in anyway shape or form I am offering you a route (like a map) and recommendations (like someone asking out a car window) as to distances between fuel and accommodation etc. Fuel distances later

Ride Report from the last one if this doesnt wet your appetite yet Check it out here

Number for the Royal Hotel Woodstock
Parkes Street Woodstock NSW 2793
(02) 6345 0262

Will post up the pub in Mittagong where I will be staying and loading GPSs on Friday night the 15th after 6pm.

There is a thread here if I have missed anything http://www.obtrailriders.com/index.p...=131178#139966

So who is in?

TB

TB650 screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 12:15 PM
Old 12-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,550
great idea

This sounds like a great idea TB650. It could also be used as a means to raise donations for a cause/charity too. ie make a donation to " X" if you want in return for the GPS plot.

I was wondering if you have sought any legal advice as to whether you need insurance cover as the " organizer" of this event. The cover I mean is like the DSMRA provides for its ride leaders and similarly the MA recreational licence cover? Just wondering, no other reason.

Having spent many years organizing local enduros, we found the cost of insurance and fees drove the entry fee level to a prohibitive level for the casual entrant and our club went into recess.

I was thinking that if this 2 day GPS ride concept caught on and several were run over a year , then the cost of an MA recreational licence would be reasonable.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRman View Post
This sounds like a great idea TB650. It could also be used as a means to raise donations for a cause/charity too. ie make a donation to " X" if you want in return for the GPS plot.

I was wondering if you have sought any legal advice as to whether you need insurance cover as the " organizer" of this event. The cover I mean is like the DSMRA provides for its ride leaders and similarly the MA recreational licence cover? Just wondering, no other reason..
fund raising sounds like a good idea. a few of us organised a pile of social rides over the past two years but got a bit concerned about legal liability. did some research and put together a disclaimer (see this thread) and kept our fingers crossed for good measure.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
TB650 OP
Would be Adventurer

Thanks for the ideas and concern guys, best legal advice we have had over the years matches what is in the first post of that link B1 thank you for posting that

No charity, no money, public roads, tracks, land, forests anyone can go there, not charging for a service just sharing a ride/ track / route I am going on. We have had a waiver made up (would love a look at the one in the first post of your thread B1 the link doesn't work could you email it to me pls)

Have looked at the MA licence option a few times, what to keep it free at this stage and for the people, its worked at Old Bulls very successfully for 4 years now would like it to stay like that in a perfect world it should, I know all to well its not a perfect world

Cheers guys

TB
Old 12-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

+1

Can you send it to me too please B1?
Old 12-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRman View Post
Can you send it to me too please B1?
doh, changed the website address a while back. updated the link in that post or just click here.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

thanks B1

Well after reading that and signing the disclaimer, the participant could not claim that he was not made aware of possible dangers.

I would add a clause about the GPS route possibly containing dangerous sections ( fixed and moveable hazards/roos etc) and the riders would be solely responsible to decide if his machine and skill level was suited to proceed.

Then add instruction about what to do if the rider decides not to proceed such as
1) avoid riding back on the same route because of possible collision risk
2) zoom out on the GPS to find alternate routes
3) call for help if lost sooner than later

Enookway's post covered the possible longer term issues of a severely injured rider taking legal action. A disclaimer will help defend you in court, but it means that you are in court and this is a very stressful and expensive situation in terms of time off work and legal representation. Without insurance cover I would be quite a bit poorer for the couple of times that I have had to attend court. Lawyers get paid more for stringing things out and they use this as a tactic to make you bleed economically to influence you to settle (pay up)

In the many years that I helped organize enduros and trail rides (with Enookway and others) we only put one bloke into hospital ,other than myself, with no legal repercussions.

To avoid being negligent with a GPS route event, I guess you need to make sure that the route is safe. Perhaps supply route notes prior to the event if there are safety concerns on the track. These notes could contain emergency contact numbers and info on mobile coverage. I think I would like to have a sweep rider with a sat. phone, just in case. Any other suggestions?
Old 12-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
llewdaert
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
I am Keen

Thanks Greg, I am interested in this ride, and look forward to saying 'gidday'.

Cheers

Scott
Old 12-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #9
Pete the Wulf
Bloody Goose

Oddometer: 27
Without trying to turn this thread into a "legalities of organised rides" thread, i ride my bikes at my own risk and i know what that risk is, and in saying that i have rego, insurance, ambulance cover and income protection and all the goodies for the just incase scenario, and if it happens (touch wood) the last thing i want to do is sue the lead rider or the person that put the ride together, in my opinion thats just not right, we shouldn't need to sign waivers, but TB's right, Its not a perfect world.

The last Two Day Nav was as absolute cracker and i cant wait for this one.
You put a great ride together TB

PTW
Old 12-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #10
Left One
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Wulf View Post
Without trying to turn this thread into a "legalities of organised rides" thread, i ride my bikes at my own risk and i know what that risk is, and in saying that i have rego, insurance, ambulance cover and income protection and all the goodies for the just incase scenario, and if it happens (touch wood) the last thing i want to do is sue the lead rider or the person that put the ride together, in my opinion thats just not right, we shouldn't need to sign waivers, but TB's right, Its not a perfect world.

The last Two Day Nav was as absolute cracker and i cant wait for this one.
You put a great ride together TB

PTW
I couldn't agree more Pete!

Left One
Old 12-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
Not for Highway Use
Wannabe hasbeen

Oddometer: 992
What type of steed is best suited? Strom or DRZ?

Legend in my own Control Panel
Old 12-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #12
TB650 OP
Would be Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not for Highway Use View Post
What type of steed is best suited? Strom or DRZ?
I reckon both would do it, not a fan of the strom in anyway shape or form (sorry strom riders) either mate your choice.
DR would be my choice if pushed for an opinion

TB
Old 12-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #13
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,115
I might be able to join in, certainly keen to, and will know closer to the day.

I've also been involved in running events over the years, private, sorta like this one, MA sanctioned MX and enduros, and DSMRA rides, and it can be a worry if something goes wrong. Why we can't have no fault coverage for all in Oz I don't know. All the current system does is create grief for the people involved, and profit for the legal profession who therefore have a vested interest in keeping it the way it is..

It could be worth considering hooking up with the DSMRA and making it a DSMRA ride. Nominal ride and annual membership fees and could be run under one of the Sydney groups, or the ACT, or create a new one, and all the paperwork and insurances are in place.

http://www.dsmra.asn.au/

Set up by TK as a dual sport adv type group, but most ride enduro style stuff, buts its whatever the members want it to be.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #14
Not for Highway Use
Wannabe hasbeen

Oddometer: 992
I reckon I could be a goer.

Legend in my own Control Panel
Old 12-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #15
lentil
All round nice guy

Oddometer: 7,503
I have had a request from OBR650 to close the thread.

Contact him if you want more details about the ride.

Leith

Apple fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
It's the classic freudian slip... "come out of the closet, and jump into the jaccuzzi with the rest of us..."
Closed Thread