User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
JonnyC OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
F650 GS Top end rebuild help

Alright here is the story. There is a 2001 F650 GS on CL for $1000 with 27,000 miles.
The problem, supposedly the bolt that holds the air box to the oil reservoir fell into the piston while running. He took it to a dealer to have them asses it. They took of the valve cover and there were metal bits around the valve but the valves didn't look destroyed (from the top anyways). Now the owner has two running bikes, one being a 1200GS and just wants this bike gone.

For this bike, even though it needs major work, I thought that isn't a bad price especially when it comes with two sets of tire one at 50% and a brand new set of semi nobby tires. It also has a slew of other little add on's that are cool but nothing to real sweeten the deal (like full bags or anything). SO anyone want give a rough estimate and inform a total newbie on how much a top end rebuild would cost, with me doing the labor but with new OEM parts? I am looking for best case/worst case scenarios here. I posted on another thread about this where they had rebuilt a whole engine but haven't heard back from them (it is that time of year, riding season).

I hear the price and go a little starry eyed thinking about owning a 650gs for a grand. I have overhauled piston, rings and sleeves on quads but nothing with any kind of fuel injection or computer on board (if this has that...?) SO all the help would be sweet.
I would post the link to the Craig's List Post but I don't want any one to snake it away from me. He is firm on the $1000.

Again all the help is much appreciated. Links to other threads would be great.
JonnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Worst case you're looking at a new head, piston and barrel/cylinder. Do a check on ebay and see what 2nd hand parts are running for, add in the cost of all the seals and gaskets you might need (check the price etc at the Max BMW parts fische).

From there you can figure out, worst case, if it's worth buying this bike as opposed to another running example. You'll probably get away without replacing all those things (maybe just a new piston and a clean-up) but you'll never know without opening it up.

If a F650 GS with those issues came up in my area for that price I would most likely buy it... lucky for you I'm on the other side of the world!

Cheers,
Michael
michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
TobyG
be happy :)

Oddometer: 495
Worst case scenario you are gonna get a secondhand engine.

Not sure about what they go for in the states, but in europe you can regulary get good ones for under 1000US$,
so that would still be one damn cheap F650GS, even if you'd have to replace the engine as a whole.

Just go for it, take a closer look a the engine and take it from there.
At least that's what I'd do.
TobyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
i think i saw a f650gs complete engine in the for sale section for 300 plus shipping. that would be the best i think!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

ok i double checked the for sale section and its 300 plus shipping for a single spark f650gs engine with about 20k miles.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #6
JonnyC OP
Adventurer

Awesome!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
i think i saw a f650gs complete engine in the for sale section for 300 plus shipping. that would be the best i think!

Thanks for the tips. I priced everything out in several different stages from worst case to best case and it goes from $1500 for all brand new valves, piston, rings gasket and used head and jug to $350 with just new valves and gaskets. *us $*

I am hoping to sell my current bike, a 1978 naked goldwing with 92k on it so that I can fund this project.
IF anyone wants it and in minnesota or wisconsin let me know.

I love when a forum works this well.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #7
JonnyC OP
Adventurer

Question The deal is about to go down but....

Hey there,
I am just checking back in to let people know the owner of the project bike came down to my offer. I still have to talk him into giving me the seat with it though because he wants to make as much money back on the bike as possible. I don't blame him but I want the seat.

I am also checking in because I read through a couple engine rebuild threads and replacing the engine with another one seems pretty straight forward and I want to know if it really is. So is it?

AND I want to really double check what engine did the 2001 F650 GS come with, the single spark? I want to make sure I am buying the right engine for the bike before I have it shipped from NY. Here is the craig's list link - let me know http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ra...906149923.html
Old 08-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #8
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyC View Post
Hey there,
I am just checking back in to let people know the owner of the project bike came down to my offer. I still have to talk him into giving me the seat with it though because he wants to make as much money back on the bike as possible. I don't blame him but I want the seat.

I am also checking in because I read through a couple engine rebuild threads and replacing the engine with another one seems pretty straight forward and I want to know if it really is. So is it?

AND I want to really double check what engine did the 2001 F650 GS come with, the single spark? I want to make sure I am buying the right engine for the bike before I have it shipped from NY. Here is the craig's list link - let me know http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ra...906149923.html
yes single spark for the 01 i haqve a 02 with single spark too.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:53 AM   #9
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,013
The nut off the oil tank holder is brass and rubber, they do break and can drop into the intake, there was a thread about one in Oz over at f650.com a while back. from memory there was no valve or piston damage

The repair was pull the engine apart, clean out any brass, reseat valves and re assemble. It was all labour and the odd gasket

Oh and use a different captive nut/bolt to hold the oil tank
Old 08-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #10
JonnyC OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
The nut off the oil tank holder is brass and rubber, they do break and can drop into the intake, there was a thread about one in Oz over at f650.com a while back. from memory there was no valve or piston damage

The repair was pull the engine apart, clean out any brass, reseat valves and re assemble. It was all labour and the odd gasket

Oh and use a different captive nut/bolt to hold the oil tank
Thanks for the tip. I found a couple threads rebuilding the engine in general but nothing as specific as the air box retention bolt falling into the piston. I am ordering a used engine just to get the bike back on the road right away and then can rebuild and resell the old engine. Any other advice let me know

JonnyC screwed with this post 08-12-2013 at 01:32 PM
Old 08-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #11
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,013
Look on my sig line, there is a mod on the web pages on building a different oil tank mounting bolt/nut
Old 08-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #12
JonnyC OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
Look on my sig line, there is a mod on the web pages on building a different oil tank mounting bolt/nut
if you do have a link to that thread I would like to read through it. It is encouraging that I can resell the engine or have an extra one for parts. I plan to have this bike for a long time.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #13
JonnyC OP
Adventurer

Wicked Here it goes

Any one in the Minneapolis/St Paul area around this weekend and have experience taking the top end apart? I will be working on the bike with weekend and would love the help. I pay in beer and the occasional pizza or jimmy John's sandwich. (the beer after we put everything back together, it gets messy if you start too early).

If any one is interested just PM me and and I will give you the address. I have a basic tool set and watched the maintenance videos on Youtube on how to check valves and remove the engine (worse case scenario).

Is there anything I might need possibly besides shims and gaskets if the piston and valves are okay? The PO was going 70mph when the engine stopped...so that seems like it might damage something. I can't wait to get this thing torn apart and get it back on the road. I literally have all weekend to work on it. My wife is outta town and I told her I am putting all other projects on hold.
LET'S RALLY THE TROOPS!!
Old 08-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #14
JonnyC OP
Adventurer

Took the top end apart had some fun along the way and frustration. Last two bolts on the head were taken out with a homemade tool thanks to the chain gang for the good ideas.

Then I got to the inside and found this

I used a scotch pad and 600 grit and 1500 grit sand paper and got it to look like this

And this

Would you put these parts back in? How much would a reputable shop charge to reface these?
I don't know how bad it will be to run it with the small nicks and scratches. I have always totally replaced parts like this but pistons and valves for these bikes aren't cheap.
I have another engine lined up and I am still thinking it is a good idea. Then I can rebuild this one and sell it when it is finished. All thoughts are appreciated.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #15
JonnyC OP
Adventurer

Question any body out there

The FAQ Section on the F650 forum states that "The timing marks should be parallel to the head with the cam lobes pointing outwards" Is it okay that I had mine pointing inwards when I tore my engine apart and locked them there?
Is there a way to know that something is wrong when I turn the engine over by hand?

I want to put this back together today and try and get it running any and all help would be nice, thanks.