Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,799
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #107
divimon2000 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Cyl on

Bill is helping out today, as he and Eric drop in the cylinder and piston.

I think we're putting the wrist pin circlip on to hold the piston base to the connecting rod.

And checking the fit and gasket. I told Eric to get those progressive bifocals, but he procrastinated. You just have to back up another foot.

Then this! No second tries with this baby, no pressure, but....

The famous head gasket going on with the head.

After reading numerous posts in the 'sphere from lots of panic'd folks who immediately suspect the head gasket based on some engine "anomaly", my view on BMW Rotax 650 and head gaskets is the following: Yeah sure, these bike are running super precise and on the hairy edge in terms of cooling, fuel, etc, they still are amazingly reliable and tough. I can't tell you how many false alarms I've read (I'm sure you have too) from people who mis-diagnose via arm-chair mechanic with some obvious and some not-so. What makes it worse is the fact that 90% of the people with problems only post the problem and never come back to say what the final issue really was. So there you have it hanging out there- must me the head gasket- the last post in the thread before "sucks for you man".

The first checks should be things like a leak in coolant system, and uh, learn how to check oil, these bike can be tricky. Example. Coolant spewing out of the overflow could mean many things (mine was a faulty radiator cap!). Psychologically though it may be benefical to say to yourself "what is the worst that it could be?" It is for me, then anything else is a pretty cheap fix! So I get that but if you have a weird oil/water problem, I say "relax mon, check out the other tings first".

Head going on:

divimon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #108
divimon2000 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Kubiac is back.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #109
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by divimon2000 View Post
Kubiac is back.
lol
Old 03-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #110
divimon2000 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cylinder head bolts

The bolts per the image and pattern.

Drop the timing chain down in and thread the gear

It was a little tricky getting one of the chain guides in place, and I forget the exact procedure, but Eric will chime in here.

Lets see, some oil gears on the left side of the engine case along with the transmission shaft.

It's going together pretty smooth. I guess having a guy who rebuilt a hundred or so Saturn engines is the ticket for perfection.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #111
STisma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109

Quote:

After reading numerous posts in the 'sphere from lots of panic'd folks who immediately suspect the head gasket based on some engine "anomaly", my view on BMW Rotax 650 and head gaskets is the following: Yeah sure, these bike are running super precise and on the hairy edge in terms of cooling, fuel, etc, they still are amazingly reliable and tough. I can't tell you how many false alarms I've read (I'm sure you have too) from people who mis-diagnose via arm-chair mechanic with some obvious and some not-so. What makes it worse is the fact that 90% of the people with problems only post the problem and never come back to say what the final issue really was. So there you have it hanging out there- must me the head gasket- the last post in the thread before "sucks for you man".

The first checks should be things like a leak in coolant system, and uh, learn how to check oil, these bike can be tricky. Example. Coolant spewing out of the overflow could mean many things (mine was a faulty radiator cap!). Psychologically though it may be benefical to say to yourself "what is the worst that it could be?" It is for me, then anything else is a pretty cheap fix! So I get that but if you have a weird oil/water problem, I say "relax mon, check out the other tings first".

Amen!!!
Old 03-05-2013, 05:11 AM   #112
ericsbr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
We slid the cyl head on the studs then struggled with installing the curved chain guide so we slipped the head back off to install the chain guide first.
ericsbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:28 AM   #113
divimon2000 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Clutch

The parts staging area and buffet.

Clutch housing or basket going on

Driving dog

Clutch discs, plates, cover plate, springs, of course organized by the manual, and checked by the parts fiche. 07's are different pattern than 02, so need to be careful here.

Now the big issue thats been in front of us until now. How we gonna hold that monster to torque the bolts? Too cheap to buy a basket wrench and of course no one has one locally now. Of course we at the ADV Garage knew we could come up with something. After a quick lunch and some ideas thrown out (you'd be surprised at the contraptions we saw under google image search), we chose our own method thought up by Bill I think, refined by Eric. Most of the other ideas required some welding or fabrication. This one- none of them shenanigans.

I had some chain laying around in the parts bin for who-knows-what, and of course my breaker pipe which gets used all the time. Here is the solution:

Chain around drive sprocket, thru pipe, out other end with screwdriver locking both ends. Are you kidding me? Perfection. I claim the patent.

Now I know this build is taking forever, but in realtime, it took 3 days in relax mode (getting to the garage at 9 or 10, lunch, and quitting early for the happy hour). Three of us, but I took pics mostly and I bet Eric could have done it himself as fast (aside from cleaning and the rest of the stuff we did like repack swingarm bearings).

divimon2000 screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 06:47 AM
Old 03-05-2013, 06:42 AM   #114
GSlite
Bothan spy

Oddometer: 271
Is the oil can considered parts or buffet?

Great thread
Old 03-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #115
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,376
Quote:

Now the big issue thats been in front of us until now. How we gonna hold that monster to torque the bolts? Too cheap to buy a basket wrench and of course no one has one locally now. Of course we at the ADV Garage knew we could come up with something. After a quick lunch and some ideas thrown out (you'd be surprised at the contraptions we saw under google image search), we chose our own method thought up by Bill I think, refined by Eric. Most of the other ideas required some welding or fabrication. This one- none of them shenanigans.

I had some chain laying around in the parts bin for who-knows-what, and of course my breaker pipe which gets used all the time. Here is the solution:

Chain around drive sprocket, thru pipe, out other end with screwdriver locking both ends. Are you kidding me? Perfection. I claim the patent.

Fantastic idea! I love it.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #116
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSlite View Post
Is the oil can considered parts or buffet?
Condiment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSlite View Post
Great thread
Yes, fun to read along.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:12 AM   #117
divimon2000 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The valve bracket

On go the valves complete with bracket. Chain put on. You can see the wheels located at TDC (hole in the top). Did we have the TDC bolt in that this point? I can't remember, maybe Eric will chime in on how we got the timing correct.

Waiting for the clutch/waterpump side cover to go on. Waterpump gears are already in place (re-used the impeller, gears and shaft).

Pops looking it over for problems. He's done his fair share and was and A&P and AI.

We did replace a couple seals like the shifter seal, just easier to get to them with the case off. The cam chain tensioner there was looked at and played with and given a green light. It is an 07 afterall. Rechecked the valve gaps- all as should be. Put the valve cover on (black plastic).

That back side goldish area at the head gasket seems to be the place for leaks on these engines. I have a stain in the same place on my bike. We looked at the innerds and concluded, there is more pressure here. Then dirt accumulates.

I didn't get the flywheel going on for some reason- musta been all hands on deck. Eric lubed the inner shaft with oil, the main tapered shaft with loctite 648 and torqued the nut to 180nm- the torquiest part on the whole bike. 180 should break wrenches in my view. We're hoping the wheel doesn't slide even with the buggared key slot. It shouldn't.

I opened up mine again, cause all this crap worried me and I misread the manual and forgot to put 648 on the shaft. All was good, just a new gasket was waisted, now I can sleep much betta.

Side cover right side going on

Lookie what Eric had in his toolbox!

I know you all know what this is, but its worth saying again, a crimp style hose clamp removal/setting tool. Pretty freeking amazing, it works like a rube goldberg. Everyone needs it.

divimon2000 screwed with this post 03-06-2013 at 11:59 AM
Old 03-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #118
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,488
I really like that, hillbilly engineering at it's finest! Looks like some of the odd tricks I've cooked up over the years.

Quote:
.....Now the big issue thats been in front of us until now. How we gonna hold that monster to torque the bolts? Too cheap to buy a basket wrench and of course no one has one locally now. Of course we at the ADV Garage knew we could come up with something. ....... Here is the solution:

Old 03-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #119
divimon2000 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Engine back in

This is how we left the bike for a couple months. Lower frame connected in back, rod thru the swingarm engine mount, lower front frame off.

3 dudes helps putting this thing up in place and getting the bolts through.

Then we just went around the bike adding stuff that was in the box. I've done this a pile of times so it was fairly familiar. Working out the locations of cables was the most time consuming. Looking for chafing, keeping binding down to a minimum. Here the throttle body is on.

Of course with 3 people its about keeping track of who did what and is it torqued or loosely fit.

Got the exhaust fit, fluids in and burped, wires connected, tidy'd up. and for the first time in 3 days, got to sit on the ADV couch. Eric fiddles with his rack set up. I think we're making a set of soft luggage (I'm taking a sewing class next month and looking out for an industrial sewing machine).

Fun was had by all. Oh, but will it start?
Old 03-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #120
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

cant wait to hear how it runs!