ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
Redclayrider OP
Long time gone
 
Redclayrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Hueytown Alabama
Oddometer: 229
Honda Forks and trees

I'm wondering if someone here can give me some help in Identifying this set of forks. I know they came off a Honda, I'm thinking a CR. I do not know what year. They came with a single disk front wheel.Where the top triple sits it is 62 or 61 mm.
They have what looks like a air valve on the top and what looks like 2 adjustment screws on the bottom of each fork leg. The top of the bottom triple stem (goes into the neck bearings) is 30 or 31 mm.
Picture of the forks and triple trees.



The top of the forks and triple tree



Bottom of the fork and what looks like adjustment screws




I am thinking of putting them on my 2003 Honda XR 650l. Anyone know if they will fit? What do I need to do to make them fit?

Thanks in advance for the help and if I posted in the wrong spot just move it. Please tell me where it got moved too. :)
Redclayrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: madera california
Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redclayrider View Post
I'm wondering if someone here can give me some help in Identifying this set of forks. I know they came off a Honda, I'm thinking a CR. I do not know what year. They came with a single disk front wheel.Where the top triple sits it is 62 or 61 mm.
They have what looks like a air valve on the top and what looks like 2 adjustment screws on the bottom of each fork leg. The top of the bottom triple stem (goes into the neck bearings) is 30 or 31 mm.
Picture of the forks and triple trees.



The top of the forks and triple tree



Bottom of the fork and what looks like adjustment screws




I am thinking of putting them on my 2003 Honda XR 650l. Anyone know if they will fit? What do I need to do to make them fit?

Thanks in advance for the help and if I posted in the wrong spot just move it. Please tell me where it got moved too. :)
they look like 1989 to 1991 cr forks. if they are the 89 or 90 they should bolt right on to your xr. see if your xr bearings slide on the steering stem. if so they should work. i think around 91 they take different bearings. they are kyb units by looking at the fork seal area of the forks.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
sailah
Lampin' it
 
sailah's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Turning expensive metal into scrap
Oddometer: 5,256
first things first. The screws are in fact screws but they are for holding on the fork guards. Adjustments would be on the bottom of the fork leg.

you'll want a set of calipers that can hopefully measure in metric. Measure the stem at the bottom, that is hopefully 26 or 30mm which would be the ID of your bearing.

Your XRL uses 26 47 15 bearings. Based on looking in the bearing conversion page, there are a TON of CRs that use the same size bearings, but some use a 30mm ID bottom bearing. So if the stem you have is 30mm, you'll need the 30 47 15 bearing from all balls. Do the same measurement for the top.

http://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconversion

You'll also want to get the seals for steering tube. Hopefully the stem length is the same between bikes. That's option B if the other doesn't work is to press the stem out of those CR forks and press in the XRL stem.

Take some measurements and report back
__________________
We're not out here to rough it. We're here to smooth it . Things are rough enough in town.

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:09 AM   #4
Redclayrider OP
Long time gone
 
Redclayrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Hueytown Alabama
Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
first things first. The screws are in fact screws but they are for holding on the fork guards. Adjustments would be on the bottom of the fork leg.

you'll want a set of calipers that can hopefully measure in metric. Measure the stem at the bottom, that is hopefully 26 or 30mm which would be the ID of your bearing.

Your XRL uses 26 47 15 bearings. Based on looking in the bearing conversion page, there are a TON of CRs that use the same size bearings, but some use a 30mm ID bottom bearing. So if the stem you have is 30mm, you'll need the 30 47 15 bearing from all balls. Do the same measurement for the top.

http://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconversion

You'll also want to get the seals for steering tube. Hopefully the stem length is the same between bikes. That's option B if the other doesn't work is to press the stem out of those CR forks and press in the XRL stem.

Take some measurements and report back
Taken with a cheep set of calipers by a near-sighted electrician.
Top and bottom of the stem, 26 mm. Top of fork 55 mm
There are 3 allen bolts at the bottom of each fork leg. On the right leg one of the allen bolts has a small flat head screw (like an adjustment, it dose not click but will not screw out. It just turns) There are 3 allen bolts on the left. One looks like it has a flat head screw in the center but I need to clean it up some more to be sure.
Redclayrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #5
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: madera california
Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redclayrider View Post
Taken with a cheep set of calipers by a near-sighted electrician.
Top and bottom of the stem, 26 mm. Top of fork 55 mm
There are 3 allen bolts at the bottom of each fork leg. On the right leg one of the allen bolts has a small flat head screw (like an adjustment, it dose not click but will not screw out. It just turns) There are 3 allen bolts on the left. One looks like it has a flat head screw in the center but I need to clean it up some more to be sure.
the 3 allen bolts are for the fork slider covers, they should bolt on the xr by looking at the stem in the pics. i think it even has the same diameter axle to fit either the xr or cr wheel.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
larryboy
Paint it black.
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Über Alles,Ca
Oddometer: 13,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
they look like 1989 to 1991 cr forks. if they are the 89 or 90 they should bolt right on to your xr. see if your xr bearings slide on the steering stem. if so they should work. i think around 91 they take different bearings. they are kyb units by looking at the fork seal area of the forks.

Somebody must have painted the triples black, threw me for a minute, but you can see overspray on the stem. I was thinking KX forks until I noticed the overspray.
__________________
Be sure the safest rule is that we should not dare to live in any scene in which we dare not die. ~Lewis Carroll~
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
Redclayrider OP
Long time gone
 
Redclayrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Hueytown Alabama
Oddometer: 229
Thanks for the help on my fork swap problem everyone. While they will not be good as a modern Cr450 set up, they should be stiffer than the stock legs.
Now to check on what Racetech has to offer for the fork tubes, see if the stock XR caliper will bolt up, get some new bearings, and slap it on!
Redclayrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #8
camperdad
Adventurer
 
camperdad's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Pilot Point, TX
Oddometer: 48
Question best usd option

It seems like there are dozens of ways to a do a USD swap. But my question is what is the easiest? Which year and what model requires the least amount of bearing swapping, machining, measuring, and fiddling with? Is there a certain year/model that comes close to accomplishing this goal with the maximum amount of benefit with a minimum amount of re-engineering?
camperdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014