User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2005, 08:22 PM   #1
creeper OP
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Acerbis SM front fender on a MissAdventure

In another thread, I pondered what a SM fender would do as far as eliminating some minor head shake I get above 80 mph.
The reason I pondered this was because KTMs switch to a low mount fender, which is more aerodynamically smooth than a high off-road fender, and the fact that about a year ago, I pulled my front fender off and went for a little 80-90 mph ride... without any headshake whatsoever.

So, consider this an aero experiment. This is an Acerbis SM fender.

I haven't decided if I like the way it looks yet, but in the next few days I'll try and get out close to above 80 mph and see what happens... without the panniers.

I'm not real concerned about mud build up on the rads... but it might be an issue. I did this more as a curiosity than any kind of permanent plan.

Creep
Old 06-22-2005, 10:32 PM   #2
txxr
Big gulps eh?

Oddometer: 897
anything sm is cool

http://thecameroncontemporary.com/
txxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 02:33 AM   #3
Buckster
Banned

Oddometer: 1,003
Rads look very vulnerable, even to the odd stone off the road, how well protected are they by the stock high fender?
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 08:15 AM   #4
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster
Rads look very vulnerable, even to the odd stone off the road, how well protected are they by the stock high fender?
The stocker comes down a few inches farther in back... nothing substantial.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:30 AM   #5
Thorny
Bent But Not Broken

Oddometer: 496
Slightly off topic, but posting none the less. I am experiencing mad head shake at and above 55mph on my 96 ktm rxc 620. I just changed front tires to this pirelli scorpion pro model

which I thought was the culprot, but now after reading this thread about aerodynamics, I wonder if the culprit is not this front fender:

which I have been running without the little plastic support piece that would normally extend out over the front of the fender about 1/3 of the way.

Any thoughts?

(sorry for the hijack, and I am interested to see what you find Creeper once you get out and test)
Thorny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 08:50 AM   #6
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quick way to tell... pull your front fender and go for a ride.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:33 AM   #7
matey peeps
Bead Buddy

Oddometer: 3,311
It's popular among KLR guys to whack down their fender for extended hiway cruising, and it does make a difference. I did it to mine. Downfall is water gets thrown directly up into your face from the front tire. This may not be such a problem with the Adv, as it has a little more fairing up there.
matey peeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:50 AM   #8
backdrifter
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
I like it a lot! Much stubbier and meaner looking. It's a nice compromise between the low fender and the standard high fender. I think the SM fender would also look good on 950 Adventures.
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 10:16 AM   #9
creeper OP
Still alive...

Hey JBud...
I was in a bit of a rush this morning and offered up a short, semi-useless answer for you. "Mad headshake" is more than likely steering head bearings... you should take a look at them.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:01 PM   #10
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,625
That's a fine looking fendah there Creep. Can't wait to hear how it works out.

BTW, I have found something of a minor flaw with the low fender on the 05 in desert use. Once in a while a rock will stay with the tire and travel up inside the fender while in motion. I can hear it getting rolled between the tire and fender, eventually getting spit out the front at speed. It gets tossed out a few feet in front of me, about two or three feet in the air. Kind of entertaining to watch it happen while riding.

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:22 PM   #11
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcolbath
That's a fine looking fendah there Creep. Can't wait to hear how it works out.

BTW, I have found something of a minor flaw with the low fender on the 05 in desert use. Once in a while a rock will stay with the tire and travel up inside the fender while in motion. I can hear it getting rolled between the tire and fender, eventually getting spit out the front at speed. It gets tossed out a few feet in front of me, about two or three feet in the air. Kind of entertaining to watch it happen while riding.

S.C.
Hopefully, they keep going under and not thru the fender.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:40 PM   #12
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,138
I have zero problems with my 03 hung-like-a-horse fender, even with a Cycoactive Big Fenderbag chok-full-o-tire gear. Just got back from 600 (70/30) miles, much of it at 80 mph and i have to say that mine is rock solid.

i even stand up sometimes at speed just to feel like Meoni and... no, actually to see if the fenderbag is still attached (once only one set of clips was still attached - operator error - but she held). the fender is jiggling away but the head she stays steady... even in the rough the fender is wagging and bucking but I don't notice anything untowards in the bars. Must be that inertia from the bike coupled witht the spinning front wheel or sumpin'.

cool fender though!

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote