Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #16
Live2Ride
Not Famous

Oddometer: 3,801
Yep, just meat on the taco's, and I have never been sick in mexico. Yet.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #17
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabon View Post
Another group of cyclists on the way to Argentina. I didn’t have the heart to tell them they were on a dead end road at the tip of Baja. Go figure?

Priceless....
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #18
IDWPUNK
ˇIDAbogado!

Oddometer: 10
Can't wait to follow along with your RR. (By the way I am totally enamorado with Julieta Vinegas). You guys are riding all of the bikes I am considering buying (the DR, DRZ and the WRR). I would appreciate it if you could briefly provide your observations about the relative strengths and weaknesses of each of these bikes on a ride like this. ie. How did the DR do on sand and off road? Can the DRZ keep up with the bigger bikes on the slab? Was the WRR underpowered? Does the 6 speed gear box on the WRR allow it to keep up with the 650s on the slab? Overall, which bike was the best for a baja ride like the one you took? I don't want to start a debate or anything, but I would benefit from your perspectives. I'll now lurk on in silence. Thanks!
IDWPUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #19
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,983
Im enjoying this. Thanks for taking the time to write about it!

so what about the missing tooth?

DD
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #20
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2Ride View Post
The next morning. Hmmm, why is everything out of focus?

Oh yeah.

Helping Mexico make sense since 19__
Old 12-14-2012, 09:49 PM   #21
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgunn View Post
Helping Mexico make sense since 19__

since the 1500s at least:

Tequila was first produced in the 16th century near the location of the city of Tequila, which was not officially established until 1656. The Aztec people had previously made a fermented beverage from the agave plant, which they called octli – later called pulque – long before the Spanish arrived in 1521. When the Spanish conquistadors ran out of their own brandy, they began to distill agave to produce one of North America's first indigenous distilled spirits.[6]

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #22
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDWPUNK View Post
You guys are riding all of the bikes I am considering buying (the DR, DRZ and the WRR). I would appreciate it if you could briefly provide your observations about the relative strengths and weaknesses of each of these bikes on a ride like this. ie. How did the DR do on sand and off road? Can the DRZ keep up with the bigger bikes on the slab? Was the WRR underpowered? Does the 6 speed gear box on the WRR allow it to keep up with the 650s on the slab? Overall, which bike was the best for a baja ride like the one you took? I don't want to start a debate or anything, but I would benefit from your perspectives.

All of these bikes did well for the type of riding we did. I've owned a KLR, DR and currently a WRR.

The WRR with the 6 speed is a plus on the slab. The newest technology of the bunch with fuel injection, decent suspension, good brakes and high wattage for running accessories. The lighest of the bunch but still heavy for a 250.

The DR did fine in the sand, and this one was running a Scotts damper. Also has a Cogent rear shock and Ricor Intiminators in the forks Its a work horse that gets the job done with fewer moving parts.

Can't comment on the DRZ (don't have much seat time on one) but it did great on and off road and seems to be a good bang for the buck.

Best bike for Baja depends on the type of riding. All of these bikes except for the KLR will benefit from a fuel tank upgrade.

Some of the other guys may chime in also.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #23
Live2Ride
Not Famous

Oddometer: 3,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgunn View Post
Helping Mexico make sense since 2008
Fixed.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #24
LeeU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Pic taken between Puertecitos and Gonzaga Bay. Road is now paved to within 5 miles of Gonzaga Bay. Two bridges under contruction will probably take a couple of months to finish and then the road will be completed. This will open up more tourism to the Gonzaga Bay area, if gringos will travel to Baja. I kind of wished the road would have remained dirt.
The Baja 1000 traveled this road mid-November. We had been right behind them by a few days before and knew the road would be even more rocky and washboarded when we hit the gravel.

LeeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #25
LeeU
Gnarly Adventurer

Here''s Doug (chabon) doing his "Photoman" duties!!
As you can see, another horrible day in Baja-- maybe high 70's to low 80's.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #26
LeeU
Gnarly Adventurer

Of course we had to stop and have a beer with Coco. I told him he made so much money from the Baja 1000 crew that he should retire. His response: "They were cheap bastards"!!
He's not looking good, now has some temoring of his right hand, had on a glove on that hand. His diabetes must be acting up. Spent a good 90 minutes or so bullshitting about life in general.
He warned us of the road to Highway 1, full of big rocks due to rains this summer. he said it takes him one hour to go where it used to take him 40 minutes.

Coco now:

Coco in March 2004.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #27
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,672
Good times Baja Team 6....and howdy to the Gunns.........

Don't give away all the Baja secrets, it's going to get really crowded when the road is completed.....

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #28
chabon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeU View Post
Of course we had to stop and have a beer with Coco. I told him he made so much money from the Baja 1000 crew that he should retire. His response: "They were cheap bastards"!!
He's not looking good, now has some temoring of his right hand, had on a glove on that hand. His diabetes must be acting up. Spent a good 90 minutes or so bullshitting about life in general.
He warned us of the road to Highway 1, full of big rocks due to rains this summer. he said it takes him one hour to go where it used to take him 40 minutes.
New paved road will bypass Coco's whenever it is completed. Going to hard on his business, kind of like when the interstates bypassed all the small towns here.

Not sure why he had the glove on. Don't think he is a Michael Jackson fan???

And Tim got a free beer for hanging up a picture for Coco. Tim had to remove a pair of black panties before hanging the photo. And no, Tim was not wearing the black panties, they were on the wall where the photo had to hang. You guys have sick minds....
(not sure what happened to the panties, they were never seen again).
Chabón - F650 Funduro - WR250X
chabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #29
chabon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdiver View Post
Im enjoying this. Thanks for taking the time to write about it!

so what about the missing tooth?

DD

be patient...
Old 12-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #30
chabon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDWPUNK View Post
Can't wait to follow along with your RR. (By the way I am totally enamorado with Julieta Vinegas). You guys are riding all of the bikes I am considering buying (the DR, DRZ and the WRR). I would appreciate it if you could briefly provide your observations about the relative strengths and weaknesses of each of these bikes on a ride like this. ie. How did the DR do on sand and off road? Can the DRZ keep up with the bigger bikes on the slab? Was the WRR underpowered? Does the 6 speed gear box on the WRR allow it to keep up with the 650s on the slab? Overall, which bike was the best for a baja ride like the one you took? I don't want to start a debate or anything, but I would benefit from your perspectives. I'll now lurk on in silence. Thanks!
I have a Bmw F650 classic and got the Wr250 after a trip to Copper Canyon. Love the lighter weight and responsiveness of the WR. The 650 would have been fine on this trip, but the WR was just more fun. Its drawback would be highway travel over 65 or 70 mph (13/47 gearing). But we generally moved at 60-65 mph. The 650 is better on southern Calif freeways.