ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: OK- so who's coming and what ya riding?
Dunno yet 4 9.30%
Small (under 400cc) dually bike 8 18.60%
Big (over 400cc) dually bike 26 60.47%
Streeter 4 9.30%
Why would I waste my valuable time on a ride like this??? 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #61
FYYFFKY
Adventurous

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdee View Post
I'm a noob I just picked up a bone stock 95 dr650. It's needs a clutch and some luggage. If I can get the bike and luggage into shape in time I hope to join you guys.
Luggage and a clutch? I have a tow strap and apparently if you smell like cotton candy Nick will give you dollars and a Ruffie. Is that how you spell the date rape drug Nick?

No really, no one else has sounded off about the other 2 bunks so if you don't get luggage you can have a bunk for about the same price as camping. That's why I got a bunk...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #62
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYYFFKY View Post
Luggage and a clutch? I have a tow strap and apparently if you smell like cotton candy Nick will give you dollars and a Ruffie. Is that how you spell the date rape drug Nick?

No really, no one else has sounded off about the other 2 bunks so if you don't get luggage you can have a bunk for about the same price as camping. That's why I got a bunk...

As long as you dont snore.
Theres a few types.
The two prescription drugs are GHB, also known as gamma-hydroxybutyric acid, and benzodiazepines (such as flunitrazepam, also known as Rohypnol or "roofies").
...according to wikepedia...

Each and every day is in memory of IMPD Officer Perry Renn. E.O.W July 5, 2014. "I will always get out of my car."
2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #63
mickdee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
in good company

Haha, reading the humor I can tell this is an enjoyable group of guys. So I just reserved the final small Cabin with Ralph at Rock Cabin....I'm no good sleeping with one eye open so it sounds best that I keep a locked door between Nick and I....LOL. I've got some customer bikes to work on first, but I hope to learn more about the clutch on the dr650 soon and have it squared away before the ride. At worst a duffle bag of some kind should get me by in the luggage department. Nick and Cjames, yeah, convoying down with you guys would be great. Maybe we'll just meet on the east side or south of Indy at a gas station exit for a fuel up. Quick and easy and it will get us on the same fuel schedule.
00 TTR250 (nice, for sale)
mickdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #64
FYYFFKY
Adventurous

Oddometer: 348
Lol "according to wikipedia"

Old 02-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #65
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdee View Post
Haha, reading the humor I can tell this is an enjoyable group of guys. So I just reserved the final small Cabin with Ralph at Rock Cabin....I'm no good sleeping with one eye open so it sounds best that I keep a locked door between Nick and I....LOL. I've got some customer bikes to work on first, but I hope to learn more about the clutch on the dr650 soon and have it squared away before the ride. At worst a duffle bag of some kind should get me by in the luggage department. Nick and Cjames, yeah, convoying down with you guys would be great. Maybe we'll just meet on the east side or south of Indy at a gas station exit for a fuel up. Quick and easy and it will get us on the same fuel schedule.
Sounds like a plan. well coordinate closer to time.

Each and every day is in memory of IMPD Officer Perry Renn. E.O.W July 5, 2014. "I will always get out of my car."
Old 02-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #66
mbabc OP
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,793
Scouted a proposed north bound route today. I was planning to ride it but an early rain with more forecast put me in the wagon again.

Stopped and spoke with Ralph. He said there are a couple open spots left.

Went by the diner in beautiful downtown Pig, KY.

What's this???

Whew...just a temporary shutdown! Here's their winter hours. Remember, CENTRAL time.

I was looking for roads mostly like these...

I did find some rock roads...

Spring's coming boys...I was happy to find these guys.

Route goes through Rosine and Fordsville. Rosine is the birthplace of Bill Monroe.

More later.
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:17 PM   #67
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

So are we looking at majority pavement?

Old 02-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #68
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Ok good. My buddy Adam plans on joining this year again on his fz1 and doesn't mind short segments of gravel but doesn't want alot. He got a rock that dented one of his headers last year.

Defiantly ready for the ride this year!

Old 02-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #69
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,757
Dang Mark, FLOWERS! You must have been really south of here! All the work you put into this thing is sure appreciated! Can't wait to ride those nice country roads and maybe we'll even have some more flowers!
Old 02-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #70
Kbowling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrat View Post
Today was our anniversary and I took the wife out for a drive & dinner through southern Indiana. We ate at Schwartz's Restaurant which is about 8-9 miles north of the starting point for this year's Icebreaker on the new IN 37 which isn't on a lot of older maps but goes between St. Croix and Eckerty.

Anyway Schwartz's has a full sit-down breakfast menu and for those who might be interested in having a big breakfast and not eating during the ride this might be a possibility. The starting point at St. Croix has a sub shop that also serves breakfast sandwiches so that's an alternative as well.

My buddies and I are staying at the same motel we stayed at last year in Paoli about 30 miles away. There isn't anything in the immediate area other than a few cabins on the south side of Patoka Lake and with the 11 AM starting time we'll have plenty of time to ride to breakfast, eat and still show up in time to chew the fat with everyone.
This sounds like a fun time
Kbowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #71
mickdee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Breaking into sub-groups?

It appears over 40 riders attended last year and over 20 have answered the poll already for this year, so do I assume correctly that we will break into sub-groups based on riding pace...some faster than others, some want to stop and smell the flowers while others want to just blast it out, etc? That's how I'm used to handling my offroad rides and it allows everyone to ride their preferred pace. No one feels pressured or rushed, no one feels like they are being held up. How did this work last year? If you broke into groups did you have plans to get regrouped during the day or was it just a "see you at camp tonight" scenario? I'm assuming GPS routes are shared ahead of time so most everyone is aware of the route prior to the ride? I may have a GPS I can borrow for this ride (I have some knowledge of downloading tracks into it) but if I don't have a GPS am I good to go to just buddy up with a GPS rider? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to get up to speed so on the day of the ride you guys don't sniff out my NOOB scent too quickly! Thanks, Mickdee
00 TTR250 (nice, for sale)
mickdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #72
AC909
Great Job!

Oddometer: 1,054
Yes, everyone breaks off into their own groups and does their own thing. There really isnt a Group 1 goes fast Group 2 hopes to make it to camp by nightfall and Group 3 stops for gas and food only. Its more like, hey I ride this way you want to ride together? There are also lone wolfs that get the GPS track and go alone. This like all of our rides is very mellow and do your own thing in your own time.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1010764
AC909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #73
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Just watch out for the lost group. thats the group you get in an realize no one has a gps or the route. Good scenery on that route though.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #74
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgindy View Post
Just watch out for the lost group. thats the group you get in an realize no one has a gps or the route. Good scenery on that route though.
The other group to watch out for is the group with the old guy on a big 950 adventure being chased by the kid on a little DR200...they'll sneak up on you unless you're doing more than 55 on a rough+straight road...the little bike can't keep up past that

Really hoping to make this...it'll be close if I'm able to get on a bike by then...have to see what the doc says next week at my checkup :) Hopefully the bone's doing its thing and is filling in nicely
godwinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #75
AC909
Great Job!

Oddometer: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwinmt View Post
Really hoping to make this...it'll be close if I'm able to get on a bike by then...have to see what the doc says next week at my checkup :) Hopefully the bone's doing its thing and is filling in nicely
Fingers crossed for ya!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1010764
AC909 is offline   Reply With Quote