Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #31
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
beautiful ride report, yardstick! it almost ALMOST makes me wish i had gone. i really like the riparian areas you explored.

eddy, in my experience the side knobbs of the desert IT rip off before the tire's done. i've had 3 sets, and they've all done it. i did like the rears, though.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #32
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
Nice pix. How did ur Desert IT perform on these loose rocks going up (on the scale 1 to 5 ) ? I might buy another one they last forever (120/100-18). How u like the front Maxxis? I am thinking getting one for the front.
Those tires (F/R) work better for me than anything else I have tried. Tire choices seem to be hugely down to personal preference, though.
Yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #33
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1 View Post
eddy, in my experience the side knobbs of the desert IT rip off before the tire's done. i've had 3 sets, and they've all done it. i did like the rears, though.
Thanks sb1 ...
Old 12-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #34
mdsnitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Nice report! Thanks for the pics.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #35
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 23,950
How's that Oregon Treating you? Looks hard to read in the sun.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #36
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
How's that Oregon Treating you? Looks hard to read in the sun.
The Oregon is okay. It isn't that hard to read in the sun. The bigger problem is dust. The screen is like a dust magnet and even a thin layer makes the screen useless. Since it is a touch screen you almost always end up moving the map when you try to wipe the dust off. I still like the screen real estate, capacity for tracks and track points and the ease of using the touch screen for such a compact unit.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #37
cyberdos
True Story Bro

I recently figured out how to convert tracks to map overlays. Been checking it out on my car unit and it works flawlessly. I also have been toying with a super old eTrex that I got for free since my Zumo died. I actually really like the eTrex and the button instead of the touchscreen and now that I have the hang of this "making my own maps" thing I think I could really benefit from a little unit like that for off-road only stuff. Been eyeballing the new Etrex 30 for this purpose but that is still expensive unit. The compromise would be to get a eTrex 10 instead and deal with its downfalls. Problem is, I can't see WTF is the difference between one unit and another.

I'd actually love to find a do it all unit but that probably comes with a hefty price. One that I'm not willing to dish out right now.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #38
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick View Post
Those tires (F/R) work better for me than anything else I have tried. Tire choices seem to be hugely down to personal preference, though.
Cool, i am happy with the rear one it's about done, in this case i'll order a second one soon.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #39
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
I recently figured out how to convert tracks to map overlays. Been checking it out on my car unit and it works flawlessly. I also have been toying with a super old eTrex that I got for free since my Zumo died. I actually really like the eTrex and the button instead of the touchscreen and now that I have the hang of this "making my own maps" thing I think I could really benefit from a little unit like that for off-road only stuff. Been eyeballing the new Etrex 30 for this purpose but that is still expensive unit. The compromise would be to get a eTrex 10 instead and deal with its downfalls. Problem is, I can't see WTF is the difference between one unit and another.

I'd actually love to find a do it all unit but that probably comes with a hefty price. One that I'm not willing to dish out right now.
If there is a do-it-all unit, I haven't found it. I thought the Magellan eXplorist line was close but just not proven very well. I considered the eTrex line when I bought the Oregon. The screen size was really the deciding factor. The units are close to the same size overall. I thought they were similar when viewed outdoors in direct sunlight, too. REI will usually let you take units outside to compare for yourself. You mentioned the eTrex 10 and 30, but there is a middle ground with the 20 that has the color screen but no tilt adjustable compass or barometric altimeter.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #40
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,210
Animals

You guys are animals. I started sweating just reading this RR. Great job you two!
Old 12-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #41
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Jumping in on the Oregon... what mapping system are you using? How is the battery life?
Gotta make a change from my old Lorance IFinder!
Old 12-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #42
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick View Post
If there is a do-it-all unit, I haven't found it. I thought the Magellan eXplorist line was close but just not proven very well. I considered the eTrex line when I bought the Oregon. The screen size was really the deciding factor. The units are close to the same size overall. I thought they were similar when viewed outdoors in direct sunlight, too. REI will usually let you take units outside to compare for yourself. You mentioned the eTrex 10 and 30, but there is a middle ground with the 20 that has the color screen but no tilt adjustable compass or barometric altimeter.
I like the idea of the barometric altimeter but none of my previous units have had it and they have all worked well enough. That's very cool of REI to do. I may have to check them out. I received a $70 off offer from Garmin when I called and told them that their POS GPS was a POS because I slammed it down on the pavement and it doesn't work anymore. WTF. And here I thought it was tough. I love Garmin.

Anyway, I guess the 10 wouldn't work since it appears that you can't upload maps which defeats the whole "screw your ugly maps I'm making my own" deal. The 20 seems to fit the bill. I'm not overly concerned about being able to have a big enough screen to view it while riding because there's no way I'd be looking at it while moving on the trail anyway.

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #43
Humunn
Moto Prozac

Oddometer: 1,033
Great RR fellas. Thanks for sharing!
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 The Black Pearl
Humunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:53 AM   #44
strappyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Damn, this having a job thing kinda sucks. I've been wanting to do a redo on that ride since we left. Nice RR. Two thumbs up for tackling the rug.
strappyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:26 AM   #45
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,385
Don't worry Strappyman...we will be back there soon, this time with the Beta and electric start.
HoosierTrailmaster is offline   Reply With Quote