User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2015, 05:23 AM   #1
Mastery OP
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,403
Alaska trip - Share your numbers, costs, whatever to excite the rest of us

81 days until my Alaska departure date and going through my gear list, budget, and some preps for the umpteenth time. Getting stoked and I'm curious a little more about the overall numbers of things.

I know some people travel and don't care what they spend, how many miles they do, or keep any receipts or statistics of their trip. Then there's people like me that enjoy analysis and keep some of that stuff for after the trip and like to see where everything lands after the trip for shits and giggles.

So...anybody that's already done Alaska on two wheels....what stats can you provide? How much per day did it cost ya? What did you spend for the entire trip? What's your cost breakdown for camping/motels/gas/diners/grocery store? Have any repairs and what did it cost? What did you spend on souvenirs? How many pictures did you take or how many hours of video did you record that you had to mess with when you got home? What was your percentage of camping to motels? How many bears did you see...and what didn't you see that you expected to?

Come on, got to be all kinds of data out there that people tracked for this epic trip...share with the rest of us.

Numbers, percentages, statistics, cost analysis, whatever. Whatcha got?
Mastery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:43 AM   #2
7dayweekend
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Laugh 1978 Suzuki GS 750 Toronto to Alaska in 1980

well the numbers will be out of date re costs but they were so low it doesn't really matter,
left TO in April, camping out to Calgary. stopped inCalgary and stayed with family for three days till the snow melted. no bears. rode to the Okanagan looking for warm weather and camped for a few bucks in provincial park. no bears but three Harley riders stole my tools, wtf.
headed north and met US guy riding Honda 750 to Alaska so tagged along.
-camped all the way, lots of rain and gravel so make sure you have good gravel tires! my front fender clogged and stopped the wheel finally, sending me over the bars, no damage.
-broke saddlebag mounting bar and had welding shop in dawson build two new ones late on a Friday afternoon, everyone wants to help on the road,
-grizzlies in the Alaska campgrounds, black bears in Whitehorse campgrounds, wolves in northern bc, cheap camping and food all along the way,
-drove the same road in 2000 and still gravel as they told me that the road is under constant re-construction,
-never needed the extra fuel can I carried so don't bother,
-if the weather sucks, keep riding and get out of it
-go with another rider, much more fun, no flats, lube the chain daily, take pics at every gas stop if not sooner, sit at a campfire from 18:00 till the next morning as the sun never does set!
7dayweekend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:07 AM   #3
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,870
2 countdowns to departure -- trip delayed 12 months by family emergency.

15,000 miles or 24,000 km in 37 riding days which averages out to 400 miles/day. While in YT, AK, and NWT I had several 250-mile days so my plains-state/province average was longer. First day and next-to-last day were by far the farthest.

3 nights the sun didn't set.

310 kg for the MC, me, and all my stuff with fuel, water, tent, food, etc. Asked for info at a weigh station in BC and the fellow offered.

2 rain days out of 3 in May and early June. By the end of the trip it was almost exactly half, but many days had conveniently short rains or mild showers.

20 days included more than 10 miles of gravel road. Maximum gravel day 310 miles. 17 riding days without much gravel.

1,081 photos on the camera plus a few on the GPS camera. I think there are 200 usable photos or 1 out of every 5.1 shot. This is because of the awesome scenery out there, not my skill at 1-handed quick pics.

0 sightings of brown bear. Many sightings of black bear but I'm not as quick with a camera as they're quick into the woods. Uncountable sightings of bison. Perhaps 6 or 8 pics because they were so common. Also Dall sheep and antelope plus all the usual roadside critters.

30 breakfasts on the Svea (68%) and 14 in restaruants. 33 suppers on the Svea (75%) and 11 in restaurants. Almost all lunches were in restaurants.

$6,500 spent. About 50% spent in Canada. Best exchange rate was at ATMs even accounting for the machine's fee plus my bank's fee. In order of declining returns: ATM, no-fee credit card, bank lobby, CN shops accepting USD "at par".

1 fuel fill-up. When I gave up on tracking fuel cost or mpg. It was a little crooked general store in northern NH without pay-at-pump gas. Just not worth the trouble. I also don't have figures for cost of food or shelter.

$99 daily average excluding replacements. $149 actual daily average since I had significant replacements.

$780 spent on 5 tires, mounting, and recycling (not including the tires that got me from Maine to Whitehorse). Due in part to buying TKC-80s in the far NW where prices are naturally a little higher.

$585 for a GPS in Anchorage. Other replacements were: speedometer cable, chain and sprocket, brake pads, oil (2) and filter (1), and an exhaust gasket. Then I cracked a hub. My fault entirely.

87% camping percentage before I beat that wheel into submission. Checking into a motel for a week in a friendly town in N. Minnesota turned that percentage into 69% overall. I was a week late getting home to my retirement.

$0 cheapest camps (perhaps 4 or 5) I don't recall the most expensive but when Ontario wanted $42.50 for a night I exited Ontario and camped for $15. There were lots of nights near $30 for a tent spot near showers & the whole civilized bit.

Grinnin screwed with this post 03-23-2015 at 07:06 AM
Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:32 AM   #4
Mastery OP
Mr. Funny Man

Excellent response, Grinnin. Just the random numbers that are very interesting to read. If I read this right, you had a total of seven tires in 15,000 miles (accounting the two you started with)? Wow!
Old 03-23-2015, 06:55 AM   #5
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 13,220
TKC 80 is a great tire, but they don't last very long imho..

John
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:03 AM   #6
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastery View Post
you had a total of seven tires in 15,000 miles (accounting the two you started with)?
True, but the last tires I bought lasted a while after I got home. Let's see what I can reconstruct in round numbers:

7,000 trip miles or more on Kenda 761 mostly-road dual-sport tires. They had a few hundred miles near home before the trip. The front could have gone farther.

6,000 miles or more on 3 Continental TKC-80s. The front went that distance. 2,500 for the first rear (replaced a bit early because I was still near places to buy tires) and over 3,500 for the second rear (it was gone).

2,000 trip miles on Kenda Big Block. I still had gravel to ride and these are cheaper but not as nice on pavement. I used them a couple of months at home.

1,000 miles missing from these figures. Spread that across those "or more"s above.

Grinnin screwed with this post 03-23-2015 at 07:25 AM
Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:16 AM   #7
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,977
Rode a Vespa 200 to Alaska in 1978 which was a good adventure.

Rode a 33 year old GL500I up in 2013 which was no real adventure since most of the roads are now paved and there are more people. Camped exclusively except for 2 nights at the UA dorms in Fairbanks. All camping was free except for a few nights at the motorcycle campground in Tok. Michelin Commander II tires lasted the whole trip and much more. Gas was as high as $1.79 per liter in some places. Only problem with the bike was a burned out regulator and a smashed fairing when I hit a moose.

Mosquitoes were the biggest drawback. Couldn't sit outside most places even with heavy application of DEET. Saw quite a few brown bears and my friend almost hit one as it ran across the road. Lots of black bears, 1 wolf, and a big lynx.

It was hot that year, 90+ in Fairbanks and very little rain on the entire trip.

I won't go to Alaska a 3rd time because the scenery, camping, and riding are much better west of the Rockies in the lower 48.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:28 PM   #8
NL7U
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Alaska

Numbers, percentages, statistics, cost analysis, whatever. Whatcha got?

You are going about your dream trip like a professor who is trying to prove a theorem. Just go and have fun and when your money or time runs short, go home with nothing but lots of pictures and, most of all, MEMORIES!

Love your ride, enjoy the adventure. I am envious.

Oh, yes, read my blog mentioned at the bottom.
http://larryherbert.blogspot.com
NL7U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:33 PM   #9
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,563
11,800 miles in 30 days with my 11 year old on the back.

3 oil changes, one rear tire change, 0 front tire changes. Heidinaus last forever and are more than enough for what you will encounter.

Lots of pics in my little video.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003240
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:05 AM   #10
Mastery OP
Mr. Funny Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by NL7U View Post
You are going about your dream trip like a professor who is trying to prove a theorem. Just go and have fun and when your money or time runs short, go home with nothing but lots of pictures and, most of all, MEMORIES!
Actually I'm just the curious type interested in oddball stats. I do plan to have fun...actually plan to make it an epic trip...but nothing wrong with asking a simple question.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:55 AM   #11
KKORO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastery View Post
Actually I'm just the curious type interested in oddball stats. I do plan to have fun...actually plan to make it an epic trip...but nothing wrong with asking a simple question.
Spend lots -- spend a little -- keep track -- don't keep track -- how can a moto trip to Alaska be anything but fun. Personally, I like to keep track of expenses, although I hope not to be obnoxious about it, but there will probably be folks on the road that won't even know where they are, let alone what they're spending. We'll all have fun.

35 years ago I was on my Harley heading for Alaska. A call from my girlfriend in the middle of Manitoba sent me back to Michigan. I've never lost the desire to do the trip. My sons are grown, I'm retired, and I hope to meet each and every one of you all doing this trip. We can sit around the campfire and discuss all the stats of our trip.

By the way, 35 years ago I had a few hundred dollars in my pocket along with a questionable checkbook. Didn't have a care in the world, and was certain I would make it.

Great thread, by the way.

Later,

John
KKORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:52 AM   #12
TassieMark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
tyres

Hi,
regarding tyre wear, I fitted a new rear in Anchorage on my Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport and it lasted to New York state. I thought that was pretty good for a m/c tyre.
Cheers,
Mark
TassieMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:55 AM   #13
NightProwler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
2013 Alaska Trip Statistics

256.497 gallons of gas costing $1143.85

Average cost per gallon $4.46

37.79 average MPG

Highest price of gas 1.96C a liter. North of Lliard Hot Springs in BC
This is equal to $7.42 a gallon

$365.05 in food for a total of $18.25 a day

$1113.26 for camping and lodging

$55.66 a night Average

9695 miles in 20 days

484 miles a day Average

12365 miles in 30 days total

412 miles a day Average
NightProwler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:55 AM   #14
NightProwler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
http://alaskaonmywing.blogspot.com/
NightProwler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:49 AM   #15
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 13,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightProwler View Post
I'm enjoying reading this a great deal. It's full of useful context.

John
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote