Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #226
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
I'm having a moral dilemma and I need some counseling here. I'll be doing a round the world trip in a bit less than 2 years, the TAT is a kind of test of my will for the trip. I plan on doing the big trip on a DR650, which I don't own yet. I do own an XR400. I'm tempted to buy a DR650 asap, and I'm wondering, do I do the TAT on the XR400 or the DR650.

It's basically an argument of light weight/kick start/reinforced subframe but still limited luggage capacity vs. heavier/electric start/better luggage capacity
Have you heard of Mondo Enduro? Those guys did a 40k mile RTW on DR 350's.

Size doesn't matter.
'71 SL 350 - Honda
drdubb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #227
jakeybob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Just read this whole thread, great info in here.

I'm looking at leaving from NJ early or mid June on a DR350. Working on getting gear together and getting the bike all prepped up. May even ride the rest of the way to Alaska depending on how my bike and I are doing at the end.

I'm kind of torn on a couple things though. Part of me wants to do the whole coast to coast ride, but part of me also wants to just truck/ship my bike to TN (or farther) and get to the better stuff, then I might have more time/energy for the ride to Alaska.

Right now I'm planning on going solo and camping out most of the way, but I see the benefits to riding with others. Would have to find someone on the same page as far as timing and goals for the trip. Not quite sure what I want to do there :P
jakeybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #228
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeybob View Post

I'm kind of torn on a couple things though. Part of me wants to do the whole coast to coast ride, but part of me also wants to just truck/ship my bike to TN (or farther) and get to the better stuff, then I might have more time/energy for the ride to Alaska.
I'm on the same page. I'm planning to get out to Dallas and visit my brother, and start the TAT in Shawnee where my gramps lives, but I really don't want to ride my XR400 all the way out to Dallas, especially in the summer. I'm going to be desperately looking for rides come August.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #229
drkab1
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Gentlemen,
This is my first post and I want to thank every one for sharing all of the info. I am planning to start the TAT in late June and have been prepping for several months. Just one naive question - I bought a Garmin Montana - do I need to buy maps for it - or can I just use Sam's GPS coordinates?
drkab1
drkab1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #230
justlookin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
I think you have a very basic base map - major roads only and not autorouting as I recall. Anyway yes you can just load up Sams waypoints and tracks but I think you really will want a mapset that you can also use for planning on the trail - emergencys,gas, food etc. My 600 with the standard routable road map 2012? or something like that will tell me closest gas, hospital etc -would have been nice to have on the TAT. Good luck and have fun on your trip.
justlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #231
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Good call by justlookin. I will say that the Montana with city navigator will show you nearest gas, medical, etc. I still think the maps would be a nice backup. I intend to do my tat portions with GPS and maps.. I prolly won't use the roll charts
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #232
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Where can these maps be found? I'm still pretty GPS dumb.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:21 AM   #233
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
I'm having a moral dilemma and I need some counseling here. I'll be doing a round the world trip in a bit less than 2 years, the TAT is a kind of test of my will for the trip. I plan on doing the big trip on a DR650, which I don't own yet. I do own an XR400. I'm tempted to buy a DR650 asap, and I'm wondering, do I do the TAT on the XR400 or the DR650.

It's basically an argument of light weight/kick start/reinforced subframe but still limited luggage capacity vs. heavier/electric start/better luggage capacity
I rode the TAT on an XR400. There were times when I wanted e-start, but it was never a big deal. I'm doing a TAT variant this summer on my Husaberg 650, which I would never consider if I relied too much on the advice of others.
'03 KTM 640AdvR - Sold, and I miss her
Several other KTMs, Suzukis, etc.
SATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #234
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATEX View Post
I rode the TAT on an XR400. There were times when I wanted e-start, but it was never a big deal. I'm doing a TAT variant this summer on my Husaberg 650, which I would never consider if I relied too much on the advice of others.
The XR has only given me starting problems when falling at high altitude (9000+ feet). I figure I just won't drop it at altitude and it shouldn't be a problem, haha.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #235
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkab1 View Post
Gentlemen,
This is my first post and I want to thank every one for sharing all of the info. I am planning to start the TAT in late June and have been prepping for several months. Just one naive question - I bought a Garmin Montana - do I need to buy maps for it - or can I just use Sam's GPS coordinates?
drkab1
Congrats on the Montana..but a steep learning curve comes with it. Learn all you can..go to "Layin' down Tracks" forum and search for the Montana. You of course can draw your maps from Sam's paper maps onto BaseCamp then transfer them to your Montana..but it takes time and precision.

If you don't want to the above....Sam also sells GPS tracks per State that can be downloaded after paying him ...from there you transfer these to your Montana and be done with it!

You can purchase his GPS track of the States you think you will pass through..so don't have to buy the whole shebang.

Good luck on you trip..

cheers...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #236
drkab1
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Thanks for the imput. Never a dumb question - right? Got a PM from an inmate leaving around the same time. I'm thinking "CONVOY!"
drkab1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #237
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkab1 View Post
Thanks for the imput. Never a dumb question - right? Got a PM from an inmate leaving around the same time. I'm thinking "CONVOY!"
There's never a dumb question...we're always here to help! Great and wonderful to have someone tag along...for safety reasons... BUT do bring whichever set up you have: maps/GPS maps/roll charts, or,... etc. etc available for yourself just in case of... .... ... ... !

cheers...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #238
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
Congrats on the Montana..but a steep learning curve comes with it. Learn all you can..go to "Layin' down Tracks" forum and search for the Montana. You of course can draw your maps from Sam's paper maps onto BaseCamp then transfer them to your Montana..but it takes time and precision.

If you don't want to the above....Sam also sells GPS tracks per State that can be downloaded after paying him ...from there you transfer these to your Montana and be done with it!
I'll second Abenteuerfahrer, it has been a steep learning curve for me with my Montana. I'd spend as MUCH time with it as possible (in your car & on the bike) to work the kinks out . I have the 100k topo maps in mine, but have actually only found a few roads on the TAT that are shown on the topo that are not in City Nav. I have been painstakingly plotting Sam's wp's into the Montana to lay down the tracks,but if your leaving in a few months, you may want to consider buying his tracks for $20 per state and use that extra time to get ready. I don't regret mapping it out the "hard" way because it helped me better understand my Montana,how to use Basecamp,and really get familiar with the ride. Best wishes on your trip.
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #239
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
What do you mean in terms of learning curve exactly? I have found the Montana fairly intuitive, but you guys are definitely deeper into it than I am. I know how to create tracks and routes in basecamp, waypoints on the GPS, trackbac, searches for fuel etc through city nav, different modes for street vs dirt, and how to manipulate the track manager. What else would you suggest I know?

I did get messed up by a few things- I prefer a GPS to have North up, where the montana is setup to track up. Fixed that. Also, sometimes I have issues getting my zoom levels correct depending on what im doing, but you just have to get used to that I guess. Im thinking of setting up a profile for tracking on street and one for tracking on dirt.
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #240
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
What do you mean in terms of learning curve exactly? I have found the Montana fairly intuitive, but you guys are definitely deeper into it than I am. I know how to create tracks and routes in basecamp, waypoints on the GPS, trackbac, searches for fuel etc through city nav, different modes for street vs dirt, and how to manipulate the track manager. What else would you suggest I know?
Heck from what you just said, your "in the know" Seriously,I'm almost up to your speed,but it took me a long time to get there,with lot's of reading and asking for lot's of help on forums. Computer/gps stuff is not intuitive to me so the learning curve has been tough. It sounded like our fellow rider was in the same boat,so if he is he'll probable be struggling like me.
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote