User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #256
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Little Wan

Hey Little Wan, how long is Cat Canyon? Is that section in NV?
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #257
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
Hey Little Wan, how long is Cat Canyon? Is that section in NV?
I'm no Little Wan but Cat Canyon is in Utah. It's between Green River and Salida.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #258
LateNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Charging things

We plan on camping mostly so we need to be able to charge on the trail.

I bought a Powerlet plug.

http://www.ktmtwins.com/powerlet-mul...ug-kit-48-lead

That takes care of my Iphone and Ipad since the plugs are the same and I can get another adapter for my GoPro. A mini USB.

But, my DSLR batteries are another story. The charger plugs right into a wall socket. Not sure how I am going to charge it.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:26 AM   #259
FlameDance
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNate View Post
But, my DSLR batteries are another story. The charger plugs right into a wall socket. Not sure how I am going to charge it.
I usually solve this problem by carrying 3-4 batteries. It's a shame that each camera has it's own unique type. Alternatively you can try to search the web for "camera type 12v adapter".
Old 03-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #260
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNate View Post
We plan on camping mostly so we need to be able to charge on the trail.

I bought a Powerlet plug.

http://www.ktmtwins.com/powerlet-mul...ug-kit-48-lead

That takes care of my Iphone and Ipad since the plugs are the same and I can get another adapter for my GoPro. A mini USB.

I would get a powerlet to "cigarette lighter" style adapter, then get a small inverter http://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-inverte...power+inverter plug your DSLR batter charger into that.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:31 AM   #261
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
I would get a powerlet to "cigarette lighter" style adapter, then get a small inverter http://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-inverte...power+inverter plug your DSLR batter charger into that.
I do the same thing with an inverter.

If you have a tank bag Powerlet makes a kit that alloys you to power the bag. It uses SAE connectors so the bag can be powered from a 12 volt port anywhere on the bike, you only need a cable.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:27 AM   #262
stuntheavy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
How many accessories are you guys running? Heated gear? Handwarmers? Chargers?

Which stator do you run? Baja designs? Ricky stator? Ebay?

I'm just curious to see how many watts most guys are operating with.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

stuntheavy screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 08:03 AM
stuntheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #263
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Baja designs stator, 1x125w leg powering 8" race light, and 1x125w leg feeding the DC side of the system.

Eastern Beaver 3 circuit
1 circuit for GPS
1 circuit for cig lighter
1 circuit unused

I will use the cig lighter with a splitter for all charging. Cell phone, ham radio, drift camera, blah blah.

I don't plan on needed heated anything since its going to be over 100 during my TAT trip.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #264
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
I don't plan on needed heated anything since its going to be over 100 during my TAT trip.
uh you haven't ridden the mountain passes of Colorado and Oregon then have you...
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #265
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
uh you haven't ridden the mountain passes of Colorado and Oregon then have you...
Cant claim much about OR, but i've done quite a few of the CO passes during Aug - Sept.

While its cool at higher elevations, its far from needing grip warmers or electric riding gear. I routinely will do sub freezing riding without either of those. A good pair of gloves and a proper jacket go a long way.

Just more junk to break and extra weight to worry about
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #266
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 872
Looking like I'm going to have to go in late June now. My only hold up is the heat. I overheat pretty easily, my body just doesn't function well in it. Where are the hottest places, and is it any cooler in august/september?
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #267
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,891
If you really overheat easily, you are going to die in June in Nevada - to say nothing about the heat+humidity in the south and midwest. Nevada will be over 100F in lower elevations.

September will be much more pleasant.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #268
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Looking like I'm going to have to go in late June now. My only hold up is the heat. I overheat pretty easily, my body just doesn't function well in it. Where are the hottest places, and is it any cooler in august/september?
better buy a cool vest.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #269
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
I'm trying to arrive in CO the end of Aug.; and plan to be out of UT probably Sept 8th-ish. If I continue on the TAT with no other detours and plan on camping,would I be right in preparing for possible temps of 20 degrees at night? I thought NV & OR mid to late Sept would have me riding in 40-70 degree weather-is that a good estimate?
For me I like to use my heated jacket and gloves when temps are in the mid 5o's and below,that's what works for me. I'm also guessing there will be more than just a handful of days in the 40's,and if so then carrying my heated gear is well worth the inconvenience. If I'm off on the temps please let us know
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #270
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
I'm trying to arrive in CO the end of Aug.; and plan to be out of UT probably Sept 8th-ish. If I continue on the TAT with no other detours and plan on camping,would I be right in preparing for possible temps of 20 degrees at night? I thought NV & OR mid to late Sept would have me riding in 40-70 degree weather-is that a good estimate?
For me I like to use my heated jacket and gloves when temps are in the mid 5o's and below,that's what works for me. I'm also guessing there will be more than just a handful of days in the 40's,and if so then carrying my heated gear is well worth the inconvenience. If I'm off on the temps please let us know
By mid September the weather in Nevada can get pretty unpredictable. I'd guess the night time lows would be more like low 40's and daytime temps would run 60-90 degrees. With that said expect snow or temps over 100