Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #331
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
I'd like to leave then, but I may have to leave a bit earlier than that. I'll be leaving from eastern OK though. Shoot me a PM before you leave though.
Sure man. I'm sure ill be busy taking to people ahead of us so we can get info on the roads ahead of us.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #332
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,800
Speaking of dehydration a rider died recently near Grand Juction. His bike broke and tried to walk out. He was found dead under a tree. Not sure if heart attach or dehyd.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #333
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
I wanted to share what I see as possibly a problem for those using Sam's gps tracks along with his map/roll charts. As I stated in the beginning of this thread,I plan to ride solo so I wanted redundancy in my "mapping" information. I have meticulously entered each and every long/lat numbers from the roll charts (also confirming with his maps)nto Basecamp to create the actual gps tracks for each state.
I recently purchased his UT,NV, & OR gps tracks because these states are the only ones I felt I was only 99% accurate,and wanted to be sure I was 100% on the money. I then loaded up both my gps tracks and Sam's ,and clicked back and forth between the two to see if there were any discrepancies --here's what I saw

Sam's gps tracks

[IMG] photo ORTATSamsGPSscreenshot_zpsbf14eae1.png[/IMG]

My gps track from roll chart

[IMG] photo screenshot-ORTAT-rollcharts_zpsf5599797.png[/IMG]

Now I suppose if you only purchased "either" his gps tracks or his roll charts/maps then what you don't know won't hurt you; but as you can clearly see his roll charts do not follow his gps tracks.
I found discrepancies in all three states in a few places. I emailed Sam about this a week ago-still haven't heard anything. I realize there will be unplanned go arounds that will pop up, but this kind of discrepancy has me wondering if I'm in for some navigation difficulties.
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #334
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
this kind of discrepancy has me wondering if I'm in for some navigation difficulties.
Is it an adventure if there aren't any? I'm a little worried about the same, especially being that my rollcharts are not the newest, but hey, I'll survive.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #335
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
I wanted to share what I see as possibly a problem for those using Sam's gps tracks along with his map/roll charts. As I stated in the beginning of this thread,I plan to ride solo so I wanted redundancy in my "mapping" information. I have meticulously entered each and every long/lat numbers from the roll charts (also confirming with his maps)nto Basecamp to create the actual gps tracks for each state.
I recently purchased his UT,NV, & OR gps tracks because these states are the only ones I felt I was only 99% accurate,and wanted to be sure I was 100% on the money. I then loaded up both my gps tracks and Sam's ,and clicked back and forth between the two to see if there were any discrepancies --here's what I saw

Sam's gps tracks

[IMG] photo ORTATSamsGPSscreenshot_zpsbf14eae1.png[/IMG]

My gps track from roll chart

[IMG] photo screenshot-ORTAT-rollcharts_zpsf5599797.png[/IMG]

Now I suppose if you only purchased "either" his gps tracks or his roll charts/maps then what you don't know won't hurt you; but as you can clearly see his roll charts do not follow his gps tracks.
I found discrepancies in all three states in a few places. I emailed Sam about this a week ago-still haven't heard anything. I realize there will be unplanned go arounds that will pop up, but this kind of discrepancy has me wondering if I'm in for some navigation difficulties.
Lefty - I believe that Sam re-mapped much of Oregon in 2012. Perhaps you have a 2013 track and a pre-2013 roll chart or vice versa.

NOTE: I have no clue exactly when he started distributing the "new Oregon."
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #336
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 854
Do you happen to know why he rerouted?
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #337
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

I've got the new roll charts by J&L Dusty Path-not Sam's old photo copied papers. I believe they just came out when I ordered my TAT stuff so I'd imagine there hasn't been a "new" set of roll charts in this short of a time. Sure wish Sam would reply to my email.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:37 AM   #338
esp41
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
I'm on the TAT now, using only the GPS. I'll let you know how it goes. I left the maps and roll charts at home, so no gas or hotel info. That might come back to haunt me out west.

Mike
1993 Harley Heritage Classic
Tomos ST
esp41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:26 AM   #339
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by esp41 View Post
I'm on the TAT now, using only the GPS. I'll let you know how it goes. I left the maps and roll charts at home, so no gas or hotel info. That might come back to haunt me out west.

Mike
Looking forward to your report.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #340
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by esp41 View Post

Mike
I'm sure there won't be any issues with using EITHER one or the other. I know they will both get you there-just with 2 different paths. My concern is that I expect (as should everyone) when I paid for all his products that they would match up on the road out there,and it looks like that won't happen
Old 06-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #341
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
TAT in Oregon

I'm the guy that took to Sam all the problem areas and proposed work around for the TAT in Oregon. (and Nevada and Utah and California)

I did this in Feb 2010 and spent two days showing him pictures of the problems, where they were on his roll charts, where they were on his maps, proposed reroutes and written instructions to be used in conjunction with the old roll charts.

I gave Sam my tracklogs of the whole TAT at that time as he was just getting started using a GPS.

Since then he's come up with tracklogs that he uses to distribute.

Oregon was the big problem, there were around 10 areas that needed to be fixed, which he did - he went out there in either 2010 or 2011 and reworked things. The new roll charts were developed by somebody - I think the company that makes them for Sam based upon info he provided.

If somebody is really worried about it, PM me and I can look over what you've come up with. Keep in mind however, that I haven't looked at the new tracks and roll charts, but do know the route pretty good - I've ridden it twice, and probably can do most of it from memory.
NorthernTraveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #342
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
I'm very happy to hear that Oregon has had some attention. There are some real rats nests of logging roads in places that did not show up on the old roll charts and there was just no way to know which one was the trail, and which one was not. 'Had to use the GPS to kind of keep going in the appropriate direction, following our noses so to speak. We did it though. There were just a few other spots where you were faced with making a turn that didn't show on the charts, and hopeful those are fixed too. Thinking back I don't know if I could remember which way to go anymore. I'm planning to do it again next year because once was not enough!

Using the roll charts made it a little bit more of an adventure, but I will probably use the GPS tracks this time to save a few hours each day.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #343
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Old Oregon problems

Some of the problems from the old roll charts in Oregon were for the following reasons.... those of you who have ridden it might remember these areas...

Route went down a private road closely past people's houses... they put signs out trying to get riders to slow down... not a good idea to use that road. There was a closed gate where you were supposed to start the road, and there was a locked gate where the road ended.

In one spot the road was washed away into the stream so the FS closed that road... which you didn't know until you went down the ridge, back around the valley, crossed a bridge, THEN found the road closed. It was this way for several years, then the situation got worse. The road along the top of the ridge got blocked by a landslide. Double problem.

Around mile 450 the FS closed several roads in the area - including some on the TAT route - and put in a new road that didn't show up on most maps. Once you got to the new road it took you right back to the original route.

There was a rock slide that blocked a shelf road about 30 miles from the end - which you didn't know until about you were 10 miles in. (this one is in Big Dogs ride report)

There was a big loop north of a paved road that went up a mountain with GREAT views, unfortunately the FS closed several roads on the west side of the mountain.... people went over the berms, and down the tracks, but you really can't use that piece. There was some options for this that I pointed out to Sam, but it would take a fair amount of work to sort it out and he took the easy way out of just having you stay on the paved road.

And the last one I remember off hand, about 6 miles from the end was a 'closed' bridge that people went over for years... until the FS REMOVED it about 2 weeks before I got there at the end of August 2009.

All in all, it's still a GREAT ride... but slightly different than before. Still miss the overlook of the bay at Port Orford just before the finish.
NorthernTraveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #344
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
We rolling it from CO to OR in late July using Sam's GPS tracks and a handful of AAA state maps.

It should be sick. Keep an eye for my RR, starting 6/29 or so.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #345
jakeybob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Im about to hit tellico plains, just getting off the tet. Wouldnt mind some company at some point so if anyone might want to link up let me know. Ridin a dr350 solo.
jakeybob is offline   Reply With Quote