Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #346
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler View Post
Some of the problems from the old roll charts in Oregon were for the following reasons.... those of you who have ridden it might remember these areas...

Route went down a private road closely past people's houses... they put signs out trying to get riders to slow down... not a good idea to use that road. There was a closed gate where you were supposed to start the road, and there was a locked gate where the road ended.

In one spot the road was washed away into the stream so the FS closed that road... which you didn't know until you went down the ridge, back around the valley, crossed a bridge, THEN found the road closed. It was this way for several years, then the situation got worse. The road along the top of the ridge got blocked by a landslide. Double problem.

Around mile 450 the FS closed several roads in the area - including some on the TAT route - and put in a new road that didn't show up on most maps. Once you got to the new road it took you right back to the original route.

There was a rock slide that blocked a shelf road about 30 miles from the end - which you didn't know until about you were 10 miles in. (this one is in Big Dogs ride report)

There was a big loop north of a paved road that went up a mountain with GREAT views, unfortunately the FS closed several roads on the west side of the mountain.... people went over the berms, and down the tracks, but you really can't use that piece. There was some options for this that I pointed out to Sam, but it would take a fair amount of work to sort it out and he took the easy way out of just having you stay on the paved road.

And the last one I remember off hand, about 6 miles from the end was a 'closed' bridge that people went over for years... until the FS REMOVED it about 2 weeks before I got there at the end of August 2009.

All in all, it's still a GREAT ride... but slightly different than before. Still miss the overlook of the bay at Port Orford just before the finish.
Could you possibly post up some GPS coordinates for these places?
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #347
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Could you possibly post up some GPS coordinates for these places?
^ Those should all be rectified in the lastest versions of Sam's charts and Tracks, as of 6-12 months ago.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #348
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
^ Those should all be rectified in the lastest versions of Sam's charts and Tracks, as of 6-12 months ago.
My tracks aren't the newest, I'll deal.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #349
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
We rolling it from CO to OR in late July using Sam's GPS tracks and a handful of AAA state maps..
Did you run into any problems (with the GPS tracks) spoken of in the earlier post?
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #350
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Current TAT tracks

I just looked at a set of current TAT tracks from Oklahoma to Oregon from Sam.

The only problem area I found was at N42 42.373 W124 23.708 where the FS removed a bridge in August 2009. A mile of so before there you cross a road which you now need to take north and follow out to the coastal highway a few miles north of Port Orford. I think the roll charts have been fixed as I've read ride reports where they did it right.

All of the other problem areas in Oregon that I'm aware of have been addressed.

For those of you with the old roll charts, here is a link to a thread where I posted (post #8) the fixes for Oregon -
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552416

Note that the current TAT is different from the old (prior to 2010) TAT in several areas.... the old roll charts are generally OK, the new routing just simplified some areas - either the directions were tough or the ride itself was tough.
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #351
RhodeHazard
ex halligan hooligan

Oddometer: 645
Lookin' Good Bro!
RhodeHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #352
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
I've been watching some fires in Colorado and if anyone is approaching Colorado start expecting some reroutes or closures. The East Peak Fire is right in the route between Trinidad and Salida, currently at 13000 acres and with more Red Flag forecasts throughout the week the area of impact may grow.

http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3446/

It looks like it will impact the TAT as soon as you cross I-25 heading west to La Veta.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #353
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler View Post
I just looked at a set of current TAT tracks from Oklahoma to Oregon from Sam.

The only problem area I found was at N42 42.373 W124 23.708 where the FS removed a bridge in August 2009. A mile of so before there you cross a road which you now need to take north and follow out to the coastal highway a few miles north of Port Orford. I think the roll charts have been fixed as I've read ride reports where they did it right.

All of the other problem areas in Oregon that I'm aware of have been addressed.

For those of you with the old roll charts, here is a link to a thread where I posted (post #8) the fixes for Oregon -
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552416

Note that the current TAT is different from the old (prior to 2010) TAT in several areas.... the old roll charts are generally OK, the new routing just simplified some areas - either the directions were tough or the ride itself was tough.
I'm not sure you can answer this --but my concern once again is that my up to date roll charts don't match up with my up to date gps tracks--both came from Sam. I anticipate rerouting (especially with all the fires out West) every now and then,but man I want to have confidence that my roll chars and gps tracks are one in the same,and they are not.
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #354
jakeybob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Does anyone know offhand which sections of the tat you need more than 200 miles range? Im currently in ark, using gps so i dont have the little roll chart messages. Im going to carry some extra out west, but dont necessarily want to lug an extra gallon of gas everywhere along with extra water. Thanks
jakeybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:25 AM   #355
esp41
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeybob View Post
Does anyone know offhand which sections of the tat you need more than 200 miles range? Im currently in ark, using gps so i dont have the little roll chart messages. Im going to carry some extra out west, but dont necessarily want to lug an extra gallon of gas everywhere along with extra water. Thanks
Kirkster and I are running the TAT, just got into OK yesterday. We are also using the GPS. No roll charts. We start looking for fuel along or in nearby towns after 100miles. No problems so far. We have 200 mi range. We still have a lot of open space to cover.
1993 Harley Heritage Classic
Tomos ST
esp41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #356
jakeybob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Yeah im about a day behind you. Spose ill just keep reading your reports to see ehats just ahead haha.

I seem to remember there being a spot in nevada you needed 250 but cant remember. Hasnt been an issue so far for me eitber with just gps tracks
jakeybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #357
EagleRider Denver
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Good luck!

looks like a great time
EagleRider Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #358
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Longest stretch

The longest piece of the TAT without gas is Denio Junction NV to Lakeview OR. As far as I know Ft Bidwell CA hasn't had gas in years. That stretch is around 230 miles - and that's without any mistakes or problems in navigation.

In Colorado westward in general be prepared for about 200 miles.... usually you can get it oftener, but not always. As noted about, that one piece is really long!
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:33 AM   #359
esp41
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeybob View Post
Yeah im about a day behind you. Spose ill just keep reading your reports to see ehats just ahead haha.

I seem to remember there being a spot in nevada you needed 250 but cant remember. Hasnt been an issue so far for me eitber with just gps tracks
We tried to go from Siloam Springs to Ponca City. Big fail. Too far. We eneded up backtracking to Rt 99 and into Pawhuska to find fuel. Take fuel any chance you get after 50 miles We realized we need to plan much better.
1993 Harley Heritage Classic
Tomos ST
esp41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #360
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Fuel and water top off every chance you get once out of the eastern portion of the trail. It's just good insurance.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote