Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #391
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
The real solution would be for Sam to fix the roll charts, a roll chart when done right can be as fast as a gps and more reliable than electronics.
Ya the roll charts are great for unmarked or poorly marked roads. I'm sure it's just such a huge task, so I don't throw a lot of blame his was. I can only imagine trying to manage 4200 miles of trails and country roads.

Roll charts don't run out of batteries.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #392
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,968
Quote:
The real solution would be for Sam to fix the roll charts, a roll chart when done right can be as fast as a gps and more reliable than electronics.
And how many miles of Roll Charts do you maintain? Do you know how expensive it is to drive 500-1,000 miles just to to fix a short section of Roll Chart?

Dave and I try to maintain the 2,500 miles of Mex2Can.com as best we can but most years I have to chart or at least explore some new way while riders are on the existing way. Since Sam only sells Roll Charts (at cost) and does not ride with his customers, he does not have our option.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:14 AM   #393
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Since Sam only sells Roll Charts (at cost) and does not ride with his customers, he does not have our option.
Jerry,
Sam's been to my house quite a bit and I've been coaching him with gps's---and using mapsource---I got him started and he's taken the bull by the horns and now has the gps tracks of the entire TAT for sale on his website.
Nobody thought this would ever happen--not even me-----but it has.
$24 by state. I've got them, he just gave them to me for inspection.
They look great---now he can make editing much easier.
He keeps making changes------and making the route easier for the big bike winers.
He gets a lot of that.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:44 AM   #394
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,598
I saw where Sam recently added gps tracks on the website, but as I'd already sprung for the maps, I really didnt feel like spending a bunch more for the tracks. I downloaded a non routable TAT track off the web, it looks pretty simple, just stay on the blue line. Between that & the roll charts, I should make it ok.

I'm also gonna be on a big damn bike. But I wont whine to Sam when it gets tough. The TAT was designed for dirtbikes, if I get to a section the bike wont handle, then I'll have to figure out a way around it.

I'm not saying I wont be whining, just that I wont be whining to Sam

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:58 AM   #395
kingrj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETD View Post
Myself and a buddy are starting the TAT in early September. We have 16 days to get from Vermont through Colorado and back to Vermont. We plan to try and finish it up a year or 2 after. We are going to ride the eastern section as fast as possible so we can do some trail ridding out in CO before having to head back.

I imagine that if you have a light bike, your navigation dialed, a willingness to ride at night and very good dirt ridding skills then you could do the whole TAT in a week. From what I have seen there is nothing "terribly" technical on the western section. I think for us navigation will be what is going to slow us down. We are going to try and ride everything without GPS we also have zero roll chart experience but we are both good with maps and quick to learn.
The Colorado portion is not too technical but once you get past Green River Utah it is! I have done two states with roll charts and two states with GPS and GPS is the way to go. Roll charts are good but you MUST keep up with your miles and you have to stop and change them and roll them as you go. And if you have to detour it is tough without a GPS. If I were you I would NOT attempt this trip without some knowledge of using a GPS. You can always quickly find detours around closed trails and if you tracks are good it is just as accurate as roll charts. DO NOT depend on routeable maps as they are not accurate in many remote place. Use developed TRACK files and use a GPS that will upload TRACK files of at least 10,000 points. A Garmin ETrex 20 is cheap..like $160 and will do all this..just say'n..Good luck you will LOVE the trip!
kingrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #396
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Advice needed

Currently in Buena Vista Colorado, where I was getting maintance done tires/sprocket/etc. If you guys are in need this is the place to go, he has helped me tremendously. Mountain Tech Yamaha, ask for Sean. No affiliation got word from another member and thank god because I was almost going to be stranded.

Ok, I have just a few days left. Tomorrow my sprocket comes in the Day time so I should be on the road by 12n. I need to be in SLC, Utah by the 16th. I'm rolling w/ Sams GPS files, so much easier to get around. Does any of the route go through any of the mountain passes? I would like to do at least one pass. I know that I'm going to skip parts of the trail just due to time but that's the way life is... work/fam duties calls..

Thanks in advance.
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #397
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Does any of the route go through any of the mountain passes? I would like to do at least one pass. I know that I'm going to skip parts of the trail just due to time but that's the way life is... work/fam duties calls..

Thanks in advance.
I think you will hit Marshall, Cinnamon, California, Hurricane and Ophir passes on the Colorado portions of the TAT.

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)
joefromsf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #398
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
I think you will hit Marshall, Cinnamon, California, Hurricane and Ophir passes on the Colorado portions of the TAT.
You're a day away, you'll be on Marshall Pass as soon as you get through Salida and Poncha Springs. That takes you into Lake City, when you leave Lake City you'll catch the other passes on the Alpine loop. If you have to leave the trail I'd wait at least until you get through that section.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #399
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrucks View Post
You're a day away, you'll be on Marshall Pass as soon as you get through Salida and Poncha Springs. That takes you into Lake City, when you leave Lake City you'll catch the other passes on the Alpine loop. If you have to leave the trail I'd wait at least until you get through that section.
A little ways past Ophir the ride is kind of blah until you get to the La Sals going into Moab - IMHO.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #400
esp41
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Jerry,
Sam's been to my house quite a bit and I've been coaching him with gps's---and using mapsource---I got him started and he's taken the bull by the horns and now has the gps tracks of the entire TAT for sale on his website.
Nobody thought this would ever happen--not even me-----but it has.
$24 by state. I've got them, he just gave them to me for inspection.
They look great---now he can make editing much easier.
He keeps making changes------and making the route easier for the big bike winers.
He gets a lot of that.

BigDog
I am on the TAT now, trying only to use Sam's latest GPS tracks. The tracks are very good.

I have followed them all the way into Utah with little issue. Please review this single post in my ride report. It has a great screen shot of how only using the GPS track can get you in trouble in canyons.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=254

Past Green river Utah is indeed a lot more complicated. The GPS track does not lock on the road, so sometimes it is next to the road you are on. In the canyons, that road can be 100' over you head, up a shear canyon wall.

I am now using his roll chart and his GPS track to get me through Utah and Nevada. Once I get out of canyon country, I believe the GPS track alone will be fine again.

I bought the whole package from Sam, including GPS tracks. I believe I got great value and information for the money. Knowing the gas stops, hotels, and trail notes are invaluable in making the trip safer. This is especially true once you reach Oklahoma.

If you are on a budget, at least consider getting the roll charts for UT, as it is very technical. I have not gotten to NV or Oregon yet, so I cannot comment on those States.

Mike
1993 Harley Heritage Classic
Tomos ST
esp41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #401
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by esp41 View Post
Past Green river Utah is indeed a lot more complicated. The GPS track does not lock on the road, so sometimes it is next to the road you are on. In the canyons, that road can be 100' over you head, up a shear canyon wall.

Mike

Zoom out a little bit and it will get a little clearer in those spots. What you're seeing is the historical location of the road, things move out here with flash floods...you're actually legal to trail blaze as long as you're within the walls of a wash.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #402
esp41
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Zoom out a little bit and it will get a little clearer in those spots. What you're seeing is the historical location of the road, things move out here with flash floods...you're actually legal to trail blaze as long as you're within the walls of a wash.
Ya, we did zoom out quite a bit. 10-15 miles out the GPS line came back to the path we were on. We did not physically or mechanically have it in us to stick it out. If we had actually made the correct turn onto the gray road, we would have been OK. Notice the GPS line does not follow the correct gray road with enough detail. We would have turned back earlier if we could have seen the road to our right, but it was all canyon wall.

The correct gray road climbed out of the wash and up the canyon side, so as a road, it does not move with flash floods. The wash itself does though.

Now, perhaps a few extra track points that more clearly delineate that turn (out of the wash) and all will be good for those only following the GPS line. A few people reading my RR also missed that turn, but they were smarter and turned around sooner than I did.

Such is the adventure. It's all good.

Mike
1993 Harley Heritage Classic
Tomos ST
esp41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #403
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 817
Maybe it needs some waypoints with a title something like TURN NOW! That would combine the information of the roll chart with the track.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #404
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,699
Well.....it's kind of like this.

If you have to pee---and your gps navigates you to the lavatory------use some common sense and don't pee in the lavatory----move over just a bit.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:07 AM   #405
Backlash
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
TAT support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Currently in Buena Vista Colorado, where I was getting maintance done tires/sprocket/etc. If you guys are in need this is the place to go, he has helped me tremendously. Mountain Tech Yamaha, ask for Sean. No affiliation got word from another member and thank god because I was almost going to be stranded.

Ok, I have just a few days left. Tomorrow my sprocket comes in the Day time so I should be on the road by 12n. I need to be in SLC, Utah by the 16th. I'm rolling w/ Sams GPS files, so much easier to get around. Does any of the route go through any of the mountain passes? I would like to do at least one pass. I know that I'm going to skip parts of the trail just due to time but that's the way life is... work/fam duties calls..

Thanks in advance.

This is Sean next to my KTM. Just check his hours and make an appointment if possible. I sent him my stuff--tires, chain, sprockets, air & oil filter. But he can also order tires, tubes, chain, sprockets, etc. ahead of time. Not too far off the TAT.

As far as Roll Charts and GPS tracks or routes just wait until you get to Oregon. I don't know anyone who has got through there without problems. I had my share--good thing my gas tank was big enough.
Backlash is offline   Reply With Quote