ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #436
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer
 
leftystrat62's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Little Rhody
Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Probably not long after august 20th. I wish I had someone to roll with but I'm happy enough cruising alone. I didn't want to go earlier out of fear of excess heat, but I couldn't leave any later.

Clem,what are you riding? There's a good chance we might bump into each other. I leave R.I. Aug. 11th,and figure I will reach OK on the 20th or 21st. Then again OK is a bit bigger than R.I. ,you can drive 50 min. in any direction and be out of my state
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #437
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer
 
leftystrat62's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Little Rhody
Oddometer: 999
Can someone chime in on expected low temps for the last few states of the TAT during Sept. The internet shows 40's and higher in Sept,but for those of you who have ridden out there the 1st---3rd week of Sept will know first hand. I'll be camping as much as possible, and have several different sleeping bag systems to choose from.
My down bag,liner,and clothes can get me down to 32F comfortably,but I'm wondering if I will experience temps in the 20's while camping? Not a problem if I do-just don't want to carry my double bag system if it's not necessary. Thanks
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #438
larryboy
Paint it black.
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Über Alles,Ca
Oddometer: 13,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
those of you who have ridden out there the 1st---3rd week of Sept will know first hand. Thanks

That's the time frame that I rode around the west, it was colder on the divide, spent one night over 11,000 feet and that was pretty cold, low 20's.

On the TAT it's pretty easy to camp at lower elevations if it's cold. Take the light weight gear, wear your riding gear to sleep in if you get cold. It's pretty hard to predict...I had a bad time with thunderstorms, lightning and flash floods.

I was just out in the northern Nevada desert at the end of June and it snowed, froze the seat on the bike overnight.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:39 AM   #439
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer
 
wbbnm's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Abq NM
Oddometer: 1,788
We did the western TAT (~Cortez CO to Oregon) in mid-Sept a few years ago. We didn't camp. Temps were pretty mild. I remember it being a little cold riding in the mornings, especially if there was any pavement. But I doubt if the temp was much below 45.

It might be much colder if you have to spend a night at the top of the Alpine Loop out of Lake City.
wbbnm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #440
larryboy
Paint it black.
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Über Alles,Ca
Oddometer: 13,656
Looks like the TAT through Oregon is on fire for awhile, starting near the Canyonville area...extreme conditions, don't try to force passage.


Go see Crater Lake, then go somewhere else.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #441
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer
 
leftystrat62's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Little Rhody
Oddometer: 999
I need some advice

I've bought a trail stand to fix flats on the road,but can't seem to figure out how to use it to safely remove the front tire.I did use it to get it off by placing it under the front fork opposite the kick stand,but very unstable
The rear tire is no problem,but I'm stumped for the front-any help? I know I can use a log or rock as a center stand,but if that's not available what do you guys do??
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #442
joefromsf
Dark Happens
 
joefromsf's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: San Francisco
Oddometer: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
I've bought a trail stand to fix flats on the road,but can't seem to figure out how to use it to safely remove the front tire.I did use it to get it off by placing it under the front fork opposite the kick stand,but very unstable
The rear tire is no problem,but I'm stumped for the front-any help? I know I can use a log or rock as a center stand,but if that's not available what do you guys do??
I drilled a hole in the front right side of my skid plate to use as a support point for the trail stand. When in use, the trail stand should be angled to push the bike a bit rearward. Also leave bike in gear.
__________________
--Joe .................................... http://joefromsf.smugmug.com/

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)
joefromsf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #443
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots
 
Clem Kevin's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: San Clemente, CA
Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
I drilled a hole in the front right side of my skid plate to use as a support point for the trail stand. When in use, the trail stand should be angled to push the bike a bit rearward. Also leave bike in gear.
Could you post a picture of this? That's a good idea and I may do the same.
Clem Kevin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #444
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots
 
Clem Kevin's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: San Clemente, CA
Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
I've bought a trail stand to fix flats on the road,but can't seem to figure out how to use it to safely remove the front tire.I did use it to get it off by placing it under the front fork opposite the kick stand,but very unstable
The rear tire is no problem,but I'm stumped for the front-any help? I know I can use a log or rock as a center stand,but if that's not available what do you guys do??

Thank you for reminding me to buy this! Would have forgotten.
Clem Kevin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #445
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer
 
leftystrat62's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Little Rhody
Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Thank you for reminding me to buy this! Would have forgotten.
I went to there web site after I posted the question -has pics: http://www.endurostar.com
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #446
joefromsf
Dark Happens
 
joefromsf's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: San Francisco
Oddometer: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Could you post a picture of this? That's a good idea and I may do the same.
I don't have a pic with bike on trailstand for front wheel removal, but I just took this pic of where I drilled the hole in my skidplate. Hope this is useful. Sorry for the lousy pic; bike is currently buried in the garage.

__________________
--Joe .................................... http://joefromsf.smugmug.com/

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)
joefromsf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:01 AM   #447
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots
 
Clem Kevin's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: San Clemente, CA
Oddometer: 849
Just drilled a hole in my skidplate, thanks for the idea!

Question for those using GPS. My basemaps are the simple ones that came with mapsource, there's really nothing there. Are there basemaps I can use that won't take too much memory on my 60csx that have more detailed roadmaps? It really only shows some of the interstates, that's it for now.
Clem Kevin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #448
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer
 
wbbnm's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Abq NM
Oddometer: 1,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Just drilled a hole in my skidplate, thanks for the idea!

Question for those using GPS. My basemaps are the simple ones that came with mapsource, there's really nothing there. Are there basemaps I can use that won't take too much memory on my 60csx that have more detailed roadmaps? It really only shows some of the interstates, that's it for now.

I would recommend Garmin City Navigator. I think you can get them for about $70 on DVD. Despite the name, these maps show lots of minor roads, probably >95% of the ones I ride.

But they also show a lot of minor roads on private land behind locked gates.

I also use Garmin Topo 100k and Topo 24k. I've had the 100k ones for about 14 years. They show more roads than City Navigator but are not auto-routable. The 24k maps are auto-routable.
wbbnm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #449
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer
 
leftystrat62's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Little Rhody
Oddometer: 999
2 days to blast off
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #450
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots
 
Clem Kevin's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: San Clemente, CA
Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I would recommend Garmin City Navigator. I think you can get them for about $70 on DVD. Despite the name, these maps show lots of minor roads, probably >95% of the ones I ride.

But they also show a lot of minor roads on private land behind locked gates.

I also use Garmin Topo 100k and Topo 24k. I've had the 100k ones for about 14 years. They show more roads than City Navigator but are not auto-routable. The 24k maps are auto-routable.
Will I need a bigger memory card than the one that came with the unit?
Clem Kevin is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014