ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #481
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer
 
SCflyer's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Back in NC
Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecold Dan View Post
I am planning to ride the eastern section of the TAT starting on May 19th of next year. I want to get as far as Denver, where I will leave my DR with a friend, then return to complete the trail the following year. My questions is, will I have any weather related problems getting to Colorado that early in the spring? I'm not expecting to ride the passes or anything like that this time around. I just want to get the bike into the state, where I will leave it and fly home. Too early?

Thanks

It's hit or miss on wx. I rode it in May from TN to OK starting on the 7th. and was overall not bad but you never know. For the most part I came in behind the wx and then it's higher water (didn't have a real problem - stop and take a look esp. if solo. better to walk what you could have ridden vs drowning the bike or hurting yourself) and mud. When you get into N Central OK the roads are long straight mix of dirt/gravel or just dirt that get pretty much impassable when mudded up. Also have drilling going on with the big trucks using the same roads - deep ruts.
-
__________________
"Not all those who wander are lost" J.R.R. Tolkien
SCflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #482
Icecold Dan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Cape Fear Coast
Oddometer: 407
I feel dumb asking, but I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what wx is?
__________________
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts" -Mark Twain
Icecold Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #483
joefromsf
Dark Happens
 
joefromsf's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: San Francisco
Oddometer: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecold Dan View Post
I feel dumb asking, but I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what wx is?
wx = weather
__________________
--Joe .................................... http://joefromsf.smugmug.com/

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:42 PM   #484
Icecold Dan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Cape Fear Coast
Oddometer: 407
Duh. Thanks.
__________________
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts" -Mark Twain
Icecold Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:48 AM   #485
kingrj
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kingrj's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecold Dan View Post
I am planning to ride the eastern section of the TAT starting on May 19th of next year. I want to get as far as Denver, where I will leave my DR with a friend, then return to complete the trail the following year. My questions is, will I have any weather related problems getting to Colorado that early in the spring? I'm not expecting to ride the passes or anything like that this time around. I just want to get the bike into the state, where I will leave it and fly home. Too early?

Thanks
You should not have any problems as long as you don't try mountain passes other than those that are paved and plowed..
kingrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #486
Icecold Dan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Cape Fear Coast
Oddometer: 407
Thanks all.
__________________
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts" -Mark Twain
Icecold Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #487
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer
 
leftystrat62's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Little Rhody
Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpig View Post
No worries, No ball was dropped, I couldn't have done it anyways. It sounds like you wasted no time getting to and fro. How did you like it?
I liked it-quite an amazing ride. It was actually your ride report that encouraged me to go for it solo-still one of my all time favorite ride report's. I don't remember if you shared in your report how you felt (physically & mentally) going at it solo, but I found 5000 miles solo across the country in some very remote places --well let's just say it was challenging.

On another note for those following this thread, I wont be doing a ride report,but plan on doing an update on the trip now that I've completed it.
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #488
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer
 
oldtrucks's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
On another note for those following this thread, I wont be doing a ride report,but plan on doing an update on the trip now that I've completed it.
I'm interested in hearing your thoughts, areas where you had problems...
__________________
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin
oldtrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #489
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer
 
leftystrat62's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Little Rhody
Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrucks View Post
I'm interested in hearing your thoughts, areas where you had problems...
Hey Oldtrucks, I'll try to put get my thoughts together on that and post ,because that's the kind of information I was in search of when I started this thread.

Here's a few tasty treats from my trip. cheers

[IMG] photo DSCN2604_zpsd4fcd1ac.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG] photo DSCN2810_zpsc05fcda4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG] photo DSCN2914_zpse426fc5d.jpg[/IMG]
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #490
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer
 
leftystrat62's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Little Rhody
Oddometer: 999
Keeping in the spirit of the "Logistical Side" of this thread,I thought I'd give an update now that I've completed the TAT.

Rhode Island to Oregon: Aug 11-Aug 31 (21days),5024 miles, one flat

Left on new Dunlop 606 rear, Pirelli MT 21 front--made it to Moab for new tires,but needed a new rear before I reached CO. Carried about 90 lbs total of gear/food/water(I weighed about 185lbs at start-finished about 165lbs) Kept tire pressure around 22 psi most of the time.

10 nights in hotels- $ 662
11 nights camping-$37
Food/water-$225
Gas $ 370

I'm pretty sure if I was riding with someone,it would have probably taken me a few more days,and probably shorter days. I had originally given myself 30+ days for the trip,hoping to spend a few extra days in CO & UT,but I didn't. I only experienced a little bit of rain in TN & one killer storm riding out of the WRT/Moab,but I also adjusted some of my riding to stay ahead of rain and extreme heat (boy is that a relative term). So there were a few time I opted to stay on pavement but no complaints.

I'm sharing this information because this is some of the info I was looking for prior to my trip that can be difficult to find in TAT RR's-hopefully it's helpful:
Day1:565 mi-13hrs
Day2: 400mi-12 hrs
Day3: 230mi-10hrs STARTED TAT
Day4:260mi-10.5 hrs
Day5:330-11.5hrs
Day6:282mi-11.5hrs
Day7: ?, long day
Day 8:239 mi, -6.5hrs
Day9: 397mi- 10hrs
Day10:230mi-9.5 hrs
Day11: 255mi-12.5hrs
Day12 170mi.-6hrs
Day 13 White Rim Trail-7hrs
Day 14: 203mi-7hrs
Day15: 320mi-7.5hrs
Day16 120mi-5.5hrs
Day17: 150mi-8hrs
Day 18: 285mi-6hrs
Day19: 200mi- 9hrs
Day 20: 210mi-9.5hrs
Day21:reached coast in a few hrs

Some must haves for me on this trip:
Garmin Montana GPS with 100k topo-worked fantastic,can't imagine using just roll charts/maps-that's all I needed even though I carried maps
Cooling vest

Few things I should have left home:
small light weight collapsable wash basin-(was going to use to wash clothes while camping)
light weight tarp for camping
heated gloves /jacket

You can see everything I took at the very beginning of this thread. If I was on the trail through the end of Sept. as planned,then I would have wanted the heated gear(used it at the very beginning and very end)

Now some of my impressions of the trip.

First I'd first like to say what a monumental task Sam achieved in creating the TAT. If you've never been out West as I have not,it's quite impressive riding these remote dirt tracks. The 2 days in TN were mostly pavement,but day 2 was sweet. MS had some nice off road but probably a 50/50 mix? The end of MS and 1st half of AR was flat with grid like farmland,but the Ozark Mtns. were sweet. OK for me was hot,flat and was my least favorite. Loved the little bit of NM,of course CO &UT were killer! NV was less exciting than the previous 2 states,but beautiful and challenging. I'd say I found NV with the sandy sections and heat the toughest for me-a close 2nd to OK. OR was a breath of fresh air with the reintroduction of trees and cooler temps.
Since I've never done any riding away from the East coast,it was incredible to see the country unfold before my eyes for the very first time. If you like adventure-this trip won't disappoint. Don't be fooled by the nice pictures and ride reports that you can read from your arm chair-it's a challenge from start to finish. Toughest part for me was the SUN,then the heat,then the difficulty of staying properly hydrated and nourished. I didn't mind the long days in the saddle,but that's just my riding style. I've never ridden in areas where you can ride for 10 hrs and only find 2 or 3 spots to rest in the shade, thus why my cooling vest was a life saver.
If I knew what I know now... I would have left close to the end of Aug and finished at the end of Sept. I handle the cold much better than the heat. The temps that time of the year were the high 80's-low 90's every day all the way across (96 on the WRT). Not as tough in TN even with the humidity because of the intermittent shade,but after the Ozark Mtns I don't think I found shade until OR
Final thoughts: If you go for it solo be prepared for the mental challenge of doing it all alone for so long. I prepared for this trip for a long time and took it very serious-I'm glad I did. If your on the fence about it-just go for it,you'll be glad you did.

[IMG] photo DSCN3011_zpsc49cc421.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG] photo DSCN2740_zpse9c67c6b.jpg[/IMG]
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #491
PatrickInVA
Gnarly Adventurer
 
PatrickInVA's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Norfolk, VA
Oddometer: 162
Thumb Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
Keeping in the spirit of the "Logistical Side" of this thread,I thought I'd give an update now that I've completed the TAT.

Rhode Island to Oregon: Aug 11-Aug 31 (21days),5024 miles, one flat

Left on new Dunlop 606 rear, Pirelli MT 21 front--made it to Moab for new tires,but needed a new rear before I reached CO. Carried about 90 lbs total of gear/food/water(I weighed about 185lbs at start-finished about 165lbs) Kept tire pressure around 22 psi most of the time.

10 nights in hotels- $ 662
11 nights camping-$37
Food/water-$225
Gas $ 370

I'm sharing this information because this is some of the info I was looking for prior to my trip that can be difficult to find in TAT RR's-hopefully it's helpful:
Day1:565 mi-13hrs
Day2: 400mi-12 hrs
Day3: 230mi-10hrs STARTED TAT
Day4:260mi-10.5 hrs
Day5:330-11.5hrs
Day6:282mi-11.5hrs
Day7: ?, long day
Day 8:239 mi, -6.5hrs
Day9: 397mi- 10hrs
Day10:230mi-9.5 hrs
Day11: 255mi-12.5hrs
Day12 170mi.-6hrs
Day 13 White Rim Trail-7hrs
Day 14: 203mi-7hrs
Day15: 320mi-7.5hrs
Day16 120mi-5.5hrs
Day17: 150mi-8hrs
Day 18: 285mi-6hrs
Day19: 200mi- 9hrs
Day 20: 210mi-9.5hrs
Day21:reached coast in a few hrs

Some must haves for me on this trip:
Garmin Montana GPS with 100k topo-worked fantastic,can't imagine using just roll charts/maps-that's all I needed even though I carried maps
Cooling vest

Few things I should have left home:
small light weight collapsable wash basin-(was going to use to wash clothes while camping)
light weight tarp for camping
heated gloves /jacket
Thanks for the follow-up! There is some great miles/day and cost information in your post.
PatrickInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #492
Deanman
Wannabe Adventurer
 
Deanman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Port Angeles, WA
Oddometer: 172
GPS Only?

Hi everyone,
Awesome thread, I'm just starting to plan a TAT trip this summer. I'll be solo, and plan to ride back roads from home (Port Angeles, WA) East to the Atlantic somewhere, (I figure I'll be so close, why not go from ocean to ocean?) then ride back to the West coast on the TAT.

I'll be on a DR650 with the usual mods, including 5 gallon tank, and need to do the trip on the cheap. I plan on roughly 8 weeks to go there and back again. I like to travel at a leisurely pace and stop early. It will be a vacation, after all.

I see Sam now sells GPS tracks for the trip.

So, my question is: Since I'm on a budget, and my odometer is not accurate, I'm wondering how I would do just buying and using the GPS tracks, and not buying the roll charts/maps. What do the maps/roll charts give me that I wouldn't get with the tracks? I imagine there is a bunch of good info but could I get by without it? Again, I'm not looking for hotels, and tend to avoid pay campgrounds whenever possible.

Thanks everyone for all the excellent info, pics, and inspiration.

Dean
Deanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:32 PM   #493
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots
 
Clem Kevin's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: San Clemente, CA
Oddometer: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanman View Post
Hi everyone,
Awesome thread, I'm just starting to plan a TAT trip this summer. I'll be solo, and plan to ride back roads from home (Port Angeles, WA) East to the Atlantic somewhere, (I figure I'll be so close, why not go from ocean to ocean?) then ride back to the West coast on the TAT.

I'll be on a DR650 with the usual mods, including 5 gallon tank, and need to do the trip on the cheap. I plan on roughly 8 weeks to go there and back again. I like to travel at a leisurely pace and stop early. It will be a vacation, after all.

I see Sam now sells GPS tracks for the trip.

So, my question is: Since I'm on a budget, and my odometer is not accurate, I'm wondering how I would do just buying and using the GPS tracks, and not buying the roll charts/maps. What do the maps/roll charts give me that I wouldn't get with the tracks? I imagine there is a bunch of good info but could I get by without it? Again, I'm not looking for hotels, and tend to avoid pay campgrounds whenever possible.

Thanks everyone for all the excellent info, pics, and inspiration.

Dean
I would only do this if you had a second GPS as backup. I brought the roll charts with me and there were times where the GPS couldn't provide the directions I needed, and I could scroll through the rollcharts to get things figured out.
__________________
My Spotwalla Link
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:59 AM   #494
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever
 
rtwdoug's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Alabamski Oblast, Redneckistan
Oddometer: 3,526
there was a few places in NEV that I used both roll charts & gps. The GPS was really confused in NV. everywhere else, I just used the gps, but would look at the maps during the day as a backup, & just to see where I was in relation to civilization

But, had I just used the roll charts, I'd probably STILL be on the TAT!

Doug
__________________
Buy a tshirt to help support my 2014 Cannonball entry HERE

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:46 AM   #495
Deanman
Wannabe Adventurer
 
Deanman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Port Angeles, WA
Oddometer: 172
Thanks for the reply. My backup gps was my first one, a 60cx, but it died and I got a zumo 660. But I use motionx on the iPhone so that is sort of a backup.

If funds were unlimited I'd buy both but I'm really needing to do this on a shoestring.

Maybe I'll buy roll charts just for some western states like Oregon where everyone has trouble...

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
I would only do this if you had a second GPS as backup. I brought the roll charts with me and there were times where the GPS couldn't provide the directions I needed, and I could scroll through the rollcharts to get things figured out.
Deanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014