User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
miguelitro OP
tierra de boobies

Oddometer: 815
200cc, 2 up, too high to Cuenca, Ecuador

We set out for a long weekend ride from our home in Salinas, Ecuador on the coast up to the town of Cuenca, a historical mountain town and the 3rd largest in Ecuador. A friend's wedding, and all the free booze that comes with such an affair was the main reason but why not do something stupid on our little 200cc china bike at the same time!
We rode past my favorite billboard…

and headed towards Ecuador's largest city with a short break to say adios to my riding buddy Kiwi Steve where he noticed I had a broken spoke…

Steve rides a different model of the same bike as mine but his has some differences we are still tryin to figure out. Mainly his is blue though.

Through Guayaquil and across the bridges over the river.

stopped for gas on the island between the 2 bridges and even got some McDonalds as we dont have one in Salinas, yep it sucked and then headed through the farmlands, mostly rice and sugarcane.

Finally getting to some hills, but not the big ones yet.
I'd rather be riding a 200 in Ecuador than any dream bike here.
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
miguelitro OP
tierra de boobies

There, dead ahead are the Andes!

I would guess after climbing around 3000' to 4000' we got above the 1st layer of clouds.

A few thousand feet of climbing later we noticed that we were maybe half way up the hill, but hell the bike was still pulling 55 kph so no worries!

By this time I had put a long sleeve shirt on under my jacket and zipped it up while my fearless wife had donned her snowboarding gear. Not going to lie, I was jealous!

High in the mountains we started coming across trout farms which also allow "sport fishing" where if you bring your own rod they will sell you feed pellets to put on a hook and pull as many fish out as you want for a few bucks. They will also cook them up for you for a few dollars more! Not my style of sport fishing so we chugged on up the hill at a steady 35 kph sometime as low as 25kph and sometimes ecen slower through thick fog!

Finally we had reached the summit in Cajas National Park, above the tree line, full alpine beauty! My crappy pictures do not do this place justice!

Old 12-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
miguelitro OP
tierra de boobies

I am pretty sure these three crosses at Tres Cruzes are where they buried the previous 3 china bikes that didn't make it.

More pics of Cajas!

From here it was pretty much all fast down hill to Cuenca and this ride report seems to go down hill even faster as the only other pictures i have are some of the wedding and a few around town…

one of Wonderwomen's saintly sister…

one of the door on the New Cathedral, way better than the old cathedral…

Here is that new cathedral on the new side of the Parque Central, the old, crappy side is directly opposite but no pictures of that obviously…look at those awesome new blue domes!
Old 12-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
miguelitro OP
tierra de boobies

These are some famous stairs leading down to one of the 4 rivers of Cuenca (full name is Santa Ana de los cuatro rios de Cuenca).

This is an Incan ruin which is much better than those "other" ruins up north with all that Dec. 21st mierda.

Here they are again. Hey I was riding a bus so this is a ride report right???

Cuenca has lots of street art and this one really spoke to me!

This is a great view of the city and that canyon in the hills there is the one we rode out of and would be riding back up the next day!

This is a dog.

We woke up, rode through freezing cold rain and then descended through 10,000' of thick fog so I didn't get any pictures of the ride back. Oh, remember the mention of the broken spoke? well three more gave out along the side of the road in the ghetto outskirts of guayaquil and gave me a flat tire so i tightened the rest down woth the really terrible supplied pliers in my tool kit and rode on a flat tire on the shoulder getting passed by giant trucks at 3 times my speed to the nearest gas station 10 kliks up the road where the tube miraculously held air and then we rode home and only stopped for 1 beer we were so tired.
El Fin Pendejos,
Mike
Old 12-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
No reason to apologise for crappy pictures. Those you have posted, along with your bits of blurb document an interesting journey, and life, in yet another part of the world. Thanks for making the effort to add to the forum's tapestry of rides from all over

I do agree with your sentiment that it is often difficult to capture the feeling of a place, or an event, in a photo, but I like the challenge of trying to do so.

A shop opened up to sell Chinese bikes like yours here in Phuket earlier this year. The bikes look quite useful, not all flash design and tech; just reasonably priced, practical looking machines. I don't know how they have gone in a market dominated by the might of Honda (70%) with Yamaha mopping up most of the rest. Suzuki still manage to sell a few. Kawasaki has given up on the mainstream 100 - 125 scoot market, and now trades in a niche off road, dual purpose, and larger road bikes. A KTM dealership has opened just recently.

How are the Chinese bikes in use? How reliable are they?

I found your spoke story interesting. I would have got the thing sorted quickly when the first one broke, especially carrying a pillion and a load.

I have a Chinese made bicycle, which has been my daily ride for the past nine years..... the best value for money 3000 baht ($US 100) I have ever spent. I just use my motorcycle for trips of over about 10 km, on high days and holidays.

Broken spokes were a frequent occurrence when I first got the bicycle. I mush have replaced all the weak ones early on, as now it happens only once or twice a year. I have ridden bicycles all my life and seldom broke a spoke at all on the other bicycles i have owned or used.

Aj Mick screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 10:37 PM
Aj Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:08 AM   #6
Starbuck21
Manly scooterist!

Oddometer: 150
Fantastic pictures, that is some sweet country you ride in. I am jealous for sure! Thanks for sharing your journey...
1974 CT90

Starbuck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:43 AM   #7
miguelitro OP
tierra de boobies

re: the spokes
I really didn't feel like going deep into the city and spending hours searching for the correct spoke and then getting it installed so i just kept an eye on the rest of them. It wasn't until we were passing traffic on the shoulder and then rode back up onto the road over the 10" step up side loading the wheel that things went north. No big deal really.
Mike
Old 12-12-2012, 05:00 AM   #8
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,909
Cool photos and interesting report. The glove warmer is great.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:47 AM   #9
miguelitro OP
tierra de boobies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gagne View Post
Cool photos and interesting report. The glove warmer is great.
good eyes and thanks!
Mike
Old 12-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #10
Beanbuell
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Beautiful! I miss Ecuador, I went to highschool in Quito.
Beanbuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #11
meerobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Always have a soft spot for small bikes and foreign places. I don't see the need for all these big motorbikes we all think we need. In fact, my best times have always been on small bikes. Nice RR and pics Mike.
meerobus is offline   Reply With Quote