Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
metareal OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Adv Riding Boots - Dainese Visoke vs Alpinestar Durban

Hi All,

I have been looking for a pair of boots that would fit in between my Gaerne offroad boots and Astar SMX.
I do a lot more "mixed riding" since I have bought an F800GS, with longer stretches of road and off-road.

I am planning a 10 days trip after Christmas so I am looking to pull the trigger on a pair of boots technical enough to do some offroading but confy enough to wear all day...the usual holy grail quest of the ADV rider! :)

Due to local availability I have narrowed down my choices to the:

Dainese Visoke

and the Alpinestar Durban GoreTex

I find the Dainese to be a stiffer boot that is a tad more technical in terms of protection and a better sole, but is harder to walk in and not goretex.
The Durban is a softer more comfy boot, which really clamps down well around my leg and is goretex.

Given the above and personal experiences you may have, what would you suggest as a 50-50 ADV riding boot between those two?

Cheers
Ed.
metareal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
After breaking my ankle (wearing Dainese), I never buy boots with velcro straps anymore. Of the two you display, I would prefer the 3 buckle boot. Gaerne has their Balance Oiled boot, which is very comfortable for me so far, but it is a pretty soft boot. My old Sidi Discovery boots are probably more protective and still comfy enough to walk in all day.

I think most street boots are garbage, unless you are buying a race boot with proper protection. Something like a Sidi Vortice or Vertigo.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
metareal OP
Adventurer

Hey,

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I am only down to these 2 boots down to local availability. I do not want to shop blindly on the internet without trying first.

I am also leaning towards the Alpinestar for their super confort and great fit (and goretex!) althought in terms of protction I felt a bit naked when I tried them on.

The Visoke are not much more protective in the ankle region, but have a larger and harder shin guard and the sole is much stiffer/protective.

decisions...decisions...
Old 12-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
keiji
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by metareal View Post
Hey,

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I am only down to these 2 boots down to local availability. I do not want to shop blindly on the internet without trying first.

I am also leaning towards the Alpinestar for their super confort and great fit (and goretex!) althought in terms of protction I felt a bit naked when I tried them on.

The Visoke are not much more protective in the ankle region, but have a larger and harder shin guard and the sole is much stiffer/protective.

decisions...decisions...
Depending on how hairy your trip will be, I would really just recommend taking your MX boots with some gore-tex socks or similar. The majority of "adventure" boots are just taller touring boots with buckles.

That isn't to say that they won't be protective enough - plenty of people do some off-roading in hiking boots without instantly breaking their foot! If you do go with either, make sure you ride accordingly.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
metareal OP
Adventurer

That's a good point. I also agree that none of these boots will provide MX/enduro boot protection and riding experience.

Which to me in another point in favour for the more confortable of the 2 boots considered here. This is because if I were to keep using an MX boot for the more "adventurous" of trips I may as well have the most confortable boots for the other trips...
Old 12-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 614
I tried on the Visoke at Revzilla and it just didn't feel right (sorry I can't be more specific why).

I didn't try the Durban.

I did try the Alpinestars Scout WP and bought it. So far it has been great at keeping my feet warm and dry. It needs some wear to soften as it is a stiffish boot but that was expected.

Knowing you only have the two choices I would go with the Durban. It looks like the same three buckle system as the Scout which I have found easy to use once you set the distances correctly which is easily done.

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
Tom48
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
I ride in alpine stars SMX boots. They zipper up and have a Velcro closure.
For me they are comfortable and keep your feet warm and dry,
They are ok to walk in.
Good luck