Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
GaMtnRider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Dual-Sport (heavy on the dirt) boots

Yo-

FNG here. I have been riding about a year, have an XR400 and XT350. Ride about 75% dirt in the GA mountains, some of it pretty wet, rocky and technical.

I really need some proper boots. I've already injured one foot (riding in my backyard no less) and I know it won't stop there if I don't get some proper protection.

Not really sure what sort of boots are right. Lots of mud and water around here, so definitely need to be "waterproof". Would like to be able to walk in them as some of these trails require a little scouting, or pushing logs/downed trees out of the way and plenty of picking bikes up after sliding down some slicker-than-goose-snot rock.

So that said- any recommendations? TIA
Old 12-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,191
If money's not an issue I sure like those SIDI Adventure Gore-Tex. But they are $$$. I have the SIDI Adventure Rain, and like everythign about them except they aren't waterPROOF (Only resistant).

Money is an issue, I'd go MX boots and Sealskin socks.

Will be intereted in hearing what other's opinions are as well on this topic.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,540
+1 for MX boots - if you're hiking around off the bike you might consider ATV soles for a little more traction.

I picked up a pair of Thor Quadrant boots with the ATV sole a few years ago for $60 NIB. Need new ones, but these have certainly paid for themselves a few times over now.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:26 AM   #4
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,457
Injuries below the knee are the single most common form of injury in motorcycling. This is equally true on the slab or on the road. People put a lot of emphasis on the importance of lids, purely because the consequences of head injuries are so severe; they're actually one of the things least likely to hit the deck. After your lid, boots are (to my mind) undoubtedly the next most important bit of protective kit. Sounds like you're realising this already though.

Personally, whilst for road work I like waterproof boots a lot, for the dirt, I prefer non-waterpoof Enduro boots, but coupled with waterproof socks (Seal Skinz). There are a few different reasons for this:

1. Cost - Properly waterproof offroad boots with good protection tend to be at the more expensive end of the spectrum.

2. River crossings - Waterproof is great for riding in rain, with waterproof trousers over the top. Waterproof isn't so clever with the trousers tucked into your boots (which depending on where you ride and the trousers you have, you may want to). It is particularly unclever during river crossings that go over the top of the boot as they then hold the water in. True, you can, post river crossing, take your boot off, empty it and refit it, but that's a faff and the inside will still be wet (as will your socks) and then the boot's waterproofing will work against you. The elasticated nature of waterproof socks, mean that if you get water going over the top for a couple of seconds, the seal is good enough to prevent the water from going down inside the sock.

3. Longevity - Even if boots start out 100% waterproof, most tend to leak as they get older. On hiking boot style boots, a thorough re-application of dubbing/wax can sometimes fix this. I'm not aware of anything as effective available for clunky plastic "ski boot" style dirt biking boots. Replacing a 30 pair of socks when they start to leak through years of use is preferable to junking an (otherwise fine) 300 boot.

That's just what works for me. A lot of people rave about the Sidi Adventures.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:35 AM   #5
GRN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Real MX boots, feet dry a hell of a lot quicker than they heal. I'll wear my Scouts if I'm just dicking around on easy fire roads, unloaded for a quick local day ride, but for everything else I climb into my SG-10s.
GRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
If money's not an issue I sure like those SIDI Adventure Gore-Tex. But they are $$$. I have the SIDI Adventure Rain, and like everythign about them except they aren't waterPROOF (Only resistant).

Money is an issue, I'd go MX boots and Sealskin socks.

Will be intereted in hearing what other's opinions are as well on this topic.
I can tell you from personal experience that Adventure Rains ARE NOT dirt boots.

KLX + rut = hurt ankle. Luckily it wasn't too bad.

HTH

M
Old 12-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,285
Sidi Crossfire SR Boots

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...cle_boots.html

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
Fred Garvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Boots

Plus 1000 on the cross fires and that your feet will dry out a lot faster than they will heal. Try some over the boot pants for some water protection along with the H2O proof socks. There is no substitute for good and effective off road protection. Just one injury will convince you of that.
Fred Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:15 AM   #9
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,900
I hate it when I jump on a band wagon, but like others have suggested when I start looking for new boots, I'll be getting a pair of the Sidi Crossfires and a pair or two of waterproof-type socks.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:00 AM   #10
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,202
Forma TX

I just got a pair of these...light, comfortable, easy to walk in and great protection at a good price. Not sure about how water proof they are yet though.

juames screwed with this post 12-14-2012 at 06:15 AM
juames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:04 AM   #11
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,771
Alpinestars Tech 3 boots. I wore a pair on a two week trip on the KLR and they were perfect for most conditions. They are not waterproof, but I carried a pair of waterproof socks (sealskinz or something like that).

john

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
KLR takes a circular route to Big Bend '13 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887449
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:11 AM   #12
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,103
From what you describe,especially the walking around part, trials boots are right in the middle of that protection vs. comfort area.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:34 AM   #13
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
I just got a pair of these...light, comfortable, easy to walk in and great protection at a good price. Not sure about how water proof they are yet though.

I also just bought a pair of these. Got them yesterday actually. Don't really expect them to be very waterproof but they seemed like the best bang for the buck in an Euro made boot.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:44 AM   #14
officerleroy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I've been pretty happy with the Sidi Discovery Rain boots. They're much more comfortable than traditional MX boots which too me are just too bulky and stiff for long or multi-day rides. They're a little pricey and you're giving up some protetion, but if you're really bushwacking around alot they might make sense in your case.

I'm on the fence with the waterproofness. The disco's are "waterproof/breathable" which in actuality means water stays either in or out. I've got hot feet so my feet are either going to be wet with sweat or wet with rain. Gold bond helps big time though. If it was easy riding in the rain the waterproofness would be ideal, but for watercrossing where the level goes over your boots and just dumps in, well then seal skins are much better.

But like every other "dual sport" decision it's a matter of comprimise and figuring out what you want most and what you can sacrifice.
officerleroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #15
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post

I was going to recommend these exact boots given your price point.. a hinged MX boot and some Sealskinz or Goretex socks. I have the Sidi Adventure Goretex and they are a very nice boot, but anything more than fire roads and I want a full MX boot.