Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 03:09 AM   #1
barnacle bill OP
Riding the River

Oddometer: 205
Speed Week, Feb 2013

Wouldn't mind going.

What's the story regarding the whole deal, roads in and out, supplies, do you need a lot of stuff?

Worth a look?
Old 12-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
masterbrewer
TDMster

Oddometer: 2,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnacle bill View Post
Worth a look?
Bloody oath

Lake Gairdner Dry Lake Speed Trials 2009

Just don't go when it's wet which unfortunately has been nearly every year lately

masterbrewer screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 10:08 PM
masterbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,225
Keep an eye on their website WWW.DLRA.ORG.AU prior to the event for updates on the condition of the lake surface. Wet salt doesn't necessarily mean it will not run, but if there's lots of water it's likely to be canned.

Road in from Iron Knob is usually good, 'cos they grade it just prior to the event quite often, but not always. By the time you head out it will be chopped up in places because of all the race transporters and spectator vehicles, which is to be expected with a station service track. It will still be trafficable though. Watch out for sand holes in the road, and don't overtake if you are in a dust cloud - it's simply not worth the risk.

Supplies : if you are attending it is a courtesy to ring Mt Ive station prior to leaving and tell them to expect (n) number of attendees, then they can cater properly. Everything is available lakeside at the canteen, food, water, beer, smokes, but if you have the space take drinking water and snacks, otherwise it can get expensive. The meals are relatively cheap and good value though. Take bug repellent, as flies are sometimes an issue, and read the website for hints on hats and sunscreen, and staying hydrated.

And it is definitely worth a look. It is something that you should do at least once in your life, and beware of "salt fever", it can be very addictive.

Lastly, anyone else who is reading this, it is shit - utter shit - no women, limited and warm beer, ants every where being eaten by the flies, and it will make you smell bad. Stay away.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
barnacle bill OP
Riding the River

Looks like the go for Feb.

Thanks fellas (MB, Godsilla ) for the info.

I did read about the 'God of Speed' quite a while ago but it must have gone into long-term.

The DLRA page gives a good overall rap, but the pic of Masterbrewers bike tells the big picture?

Cheers, see you there
Old 12-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

Oddometer: 1,903
Hot, salty, dry desolate shit of a place. You'll hate it. Booring watching highly modified vehicles fly across the salt plane, occasionally flip / set on fire/ explode/ set new speed records. Why would you want to be able to wander around the pits and actually speak to the guys racing? Much better to pay a fortune and be stuck on a grandstand at the GP.....NO way would you enjoy the ride out there, or wandering down the eyre peninsula afterwards...riding on a desserted beach...

What was the date again? It's been a few years since I last went....
Dr AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:39 AM   #6
bend27
by hook or by crook

Oddometer: 1,158
bend27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
barnacle bill OP
Riding the River

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr AT View Post
Hot, salty, dry desolate shit of a place. You'll hate it. Booring watching highly modified vehicles fly across the salt plane, occasionally flip / set on fire/ explode/ set new speed records. Why would you want to be able to wander around the pits and actually speak to the guys racing? Much better to pay a fortune and be stuck on a grandstand at the GP.....NO way would you enjoy the ride out there, or wandering down the eyre peninsula afterwards...riding on a desserted beach...

What was the date again? It's been a few years since I last went....
Yeah!

Heard they do some weird shit in South Australia.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
Shedmonkey
n00b

Oddometer: 1
If you can do it, I would recommend it. If at least to tick off the bucket list.
I've been there a few times now and each time gets busier and bigger then the previous.

There are a couple of options for camping. My fave is the saltbush camp which is just over the hill behind the canteen. Walking back after tea at the canteen just on dusk, perch yourself on top of the hill overlooking the lake and watch the white salt crust take on the colours of the sky. It is truly one of the most unique places in Australia.
There are very limited facilities and I was getting up at about 2 am for a shower to beat the line up. Saltbush camp fees are paid at the canteen.

Canteen meals are good, like a country pub meal. Each night is a set menu.

There is also the drivers camp at the old shearing shed which is about 15mins drive away (from memory). This is the DLRA camp and has power and hot showers etc. Fees paid to the camp attendant at the shearing shed.
Or you can camp at Mt Ive station.

If you take your vehicle/bike down onto the lake, there are blowers on a stand to get all the loose dust off. You have to put some sort of tarp or cover under your vehicle or bike when parking on the salt as well.

Like previously advised, road is generally ok for an outback road, but watch for the bulldust pits on the station roads later in the week.

But one word of warning, don't stand in one spot for to long. You'll end up helping out someone on a race team. Last time me and 2 mates were there, we parked in the pits next to 2 guys running a Trumpy 650 streamliner and ended up pit crewing for them. It was the best 5 days I had had for years. We ended up camping next to them and had few great nights as well.

Dave