User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 05:39 AM   #1
Lulu7404 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Yamaha TT-R230

I just bought an 07 model for my wife. I started her out on an 09 CRF230M with some dual sport tires mounted on the 17" rims. She has been riding for almost a year now and I think the motor and suspension of the little Yamaha will help her improve skill and gain confidence.

I did a search on this sub-forum, and if there was one for this little bike it is long gone. Just mentioned in passing on some threads now.

So, if anyone rides one, has a spouse or kid that rides one, please chime in about any modifications you have done to it. It is already pretty light at 247lbs. She can pick it up easily, but drops it much less frequently than the CRF. The motor has a bit more kick to it since it was not tuned for EPA crap.

Jet recommendations, exhaust, sprocket combinations, bash guard (it has a tube type engine guard now but that won't help with rocks thrown off the front tire), etc. The clutch pull is very heavy, I am not sure if I am just used to a lighter hydraulic clutch or if it needs some love. The lever is bent so it is getting replaced anyway and I may go ahead and replace the cable. The front brake lever was replaced by a nice adjustable ASV lever.

I think I read that some had upgraded the front forks to early YZ125 forks as the front end was this bikes weakness, and that the rear suspender was actually pretty good.

Anyway, TIA for any info passed on, links to other sites, etc. Oh, I did try ThumperTalk already, so I am reading some threads there. Just wanted to check with the asylum.

Brad
Old 12-14-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,332
I use a Ricochet Racing skid plate on mine, it works well. My clutch pull is not overly heavy. The stock handlebar looked very weak to me so I replaced it with a Renthal, which is wider and gives more leverage.
My forks are stock and work well. I had to replace the rear spring, I'm 190 pounds. The shock is not adjustable and is certainly no better than the forks.
I ride at moderate temperatures and elevations of 1,000 to 4,000 feet. Stock jetting and exhaust work well under those conditions. Regular gas is fine. I did expose the fuel screw on the carb. so I can adjust it.
My bike is licensed for street use but I've kept stock gearing since I like low speeed technical riding. Taller gearing would work better for higher speed use.
The stock Pirelli tires are junk and should be replaced with something better suited to your riding conditions.

It's a great bike. Put gas in it and ride, don't waste your efforts trying to make it into something it's not.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
Lulu7404 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Thx

Thx for the info. I couldn't agree more so far. I am about the same weight with gear as you. And, of course, it doesn't pull like the orange bike, but I think it is a huge improvement for what we do over the crf.
At 50 pounds less, I am sure it pulls a bit better for my wife. Bash plate, hand guards, clutch pull, and new softer tires are first on the list.