Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #16
kiltedcrawford OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Thanks guys. I enjoyed the trip but writing the report was lots of fun too.

I don't want to get into the panhandle thing too much here, maybe in the Making of the OAT thread, and would definitely want to run it by OKlr first.

Bill,
Western OK is vast, open and fast. Eastern OK is more mysterious, darker and not as fast paced. Both have beauty, just different kinds. Let me know if you're ever in the SW.

I didn't really play up the state much, did I? I was really writing for Okies and didn't really think about doing some advertising. I love Oklahoma and take a lot of the things we have for granted. I think I read somewhere that we have more ecosystems than any state other than California and Texas. I wouldn't expect people to ride across the country to do the OAT, but there's a lot of variety here that most people don't know about and would enjoy, I think.
kiltedcrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #17
skyydiver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Great read, thank you. Time to plan a ride.
skyydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:55 AM   #18
OKDQ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
Great ride report, thanks for your time and efforts! You (and really all of us Okie ADV'ers) prove all the time, over and over a again by these ride reports we can have a great time riding the back roads of our great state! I really like the way you make it clear that with the right mindset all the diverse terrain is enjoyable, even the flat areas offer beauty and intrigue in their own way. I'm looking forward to taking a shot at the soon to be great OAT. Thinking I would like to try it while camping off the bike most days and taking a few extra days to see the sights in areas I'm not as familiar with, such as SE and Eastern OK. Can't wait to get started now!

Thanks again for a great report.

Born, raised and forevermore a proud of our state Okie,

OKDQ
Old 12-15-2012, 12:24 PM   #19
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,723
Nice

Looks like a nice trip around the state, looking forward to it one day.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:39 AM   #20
RickS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Great ride report. Never knew about the river crossing north of granite. Living in SW Oklahoma all my life I thought I had ridden all the roads. FYI, I have heard there is a similar crossing west of Mangum going over to Hollis in a really rural area. Some years back I rode dirt from Texas to Kansas up through Sayre, Cheyenne and Woodward, but can't remember the route. Western ok has some great views and riding.

Kiltrdcrawford, keep things under control in Frederick!
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #21
okiesailor
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Very nice!!! Looking forward to trying it myself.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #22
Mudclod
Mojo Moto

Oddometer: 1,475
I lived in Denison and Texoma area. Now I have a reason to return and jump on the Trail!

Down Texas Way
Mudclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #23
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Great ride report. Never knew about the river crossing north of granite. Living in SW Oklahoma all my life I thought I had ridden all the roads. FYI, I have heard there is a similar crossing west of Mangum going over to Hollis in a really rural area. Some years back I rode dirt from Texas to Kansas up through Sayre, Cheyenne and Woodward, but can't remember the route. Western ok has some great views and riding.

i had found 2 in that area, but i thought they would be too difficult for the ride. I could give you a location if you want.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #24
RickS
Studly Adventurer

No need, I know one of the county comminisioners in Harmon county and he told me about it but I did not write the location down, but I can call him when I want to find it.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #25
kiltedcrawford OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post

Hell, missed this somehow.
Thanks, Rick. Anything worth riding west of Altus/south of Hollis? I haven't explored that area yet; haven't even driven it much, actually.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #26
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Ok

Thanks for the ride report. I enjoyed it!

There certainly is some dynamite riding in southeast OK that connects with some more dynamite riding in southwest AR. Don't tell anybody else though.

"Sallisaw - Henryetta - Wagoner - Catoosa" I had a drunk girl whisper this in my ear several years ago .......... took a minute to figure out what the hell she was talking about.

Thanks again, I'll have to check some of this out next time I'm riding through there. Seeing the rune stone is on my bucket list.

Happy Holidays, Rob
Old 12-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #27
DLGLVS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Great Ride Report!

I can't wait to try the OAT!

Let me know when you start planning another trip.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #28
kiltedcrawford OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks. I always pay attention to the whisperings of drunk girls.......don't always act on it though.

The route is still evolving, check out the latest here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836706
Old 12-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #29
RickS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltedcrawford View Post
Hell, missed this somehow.
Thanks, Rick. Anything worth riding west of Altus/south of Hollis? I haven't explored that area yet; haven't even driven it much, actually.
Bout the only thing is a old wood bridge that crosses the red river about 2 or 3 miles west of Hollis. Some good dirt roads going into the sandy sanders wildlife area. It is my understanding you have to have a permit or a hunting lic to look around.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #30
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
On the TAT last year, none of our group were really looking forward to OK, but surprisingly, we really enjoyed it. You cross up high, and all the way across the panhandle, and we found ourselves zoning out and enjoying the ride. There were some really nice hilly roads in or near the panhandle, so that should be included! You need at least one section where it looks like the road goes arrow straight, forever, to get a sense of that part of the state. I will have to troop north and do the OAT before long. 'Wish we could do something like that in Texas, but everything is either paved or fenced. No public land to speak of.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote