Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #181
globalklr650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
I am building a solar thermal powered car to travel to those third world counties. All my work here is to improve my solar thermal designs and build the solar thermal car. The trailer behind the car will have a 24ft by 6ft solar thermal mirror that can provide more then enough power to provide drinking water for a village, cook their food and pump water to grow food in the fields. We will stay with the village and show them how they can create their own solar thermal power plant for the village using material the can find there. We will then travel to the next village.

Our and solar trailer will also turn into a living space at night.

http://www.facebook.com/theperfectworld2012
globalklr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #182
globalklr650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Lilgreenboober it will be a light trailer. If we have to we can reduce the size. I am learning and testing as I go. For now with weight I am thinking 220lb of heat storage salt to hold 8hp/hour at 20% turbine efficiency. A 1500lb capacity boat trailer that weights 300lb. 20lb of oil to pump through the receiver tube. That leaves 1260lb for the plywood mirror support, receiver tube, thin plexiglass mirror, glass receiver tube vacuum and the foldable camper. I think we can do it. We will drive no more the 55mph with the trailer.

Well we road 30,000km at 1,100 lb with a KLR650 on rough mountain roads. People said it was impossible but we did it and we will do this too.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #183
TheBlurr
Banned

Oddometer: 5,588
Ok cool, so in another fifty years when you have not perfected your design and a few million more people died waiting for power...............
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #184
globalklr650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We plan to travel the world for about 30 years and help people. I think I can complete the car for December 2013 or March 2014.

I would rather try to help and fail then do nothing.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #185
CallMeBoog
hi functioning idiom

Oddometer: 5,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalklr650 View Post
Lilgreenboober it will be a light trailer. If we have to we can reduce the size. I am learning and testing as I go. For now with weight I am thinking 220lb of heat storage salt to hold 8hp/hour at 20% turbine efficiency. A 1500lb capacity boat trailer that weights 300lb. 20lb of oil to pump through the receiver tube. That leaves 1260lb for the plywood mirror support, receiver tube, thin plexiglass mirror, glass receiver tube vacuum and the foldable camper. I think we can do it. We will drive no more the 55mph with the trailer.

Well we road 30,000km at 1,100 lb with a KLR650 on rough mountain roads. People said it was impossible but we did it and we will do this too.

Please, call me Boog.

Okay, so you're ditching the gas engine then? are you building a steam powered car? are you generating electricity from the heat / or photovoltaic, and driving an electric car? How much do you think you'll be able to tow with an electric or steam powered mazda? further, how do you intend to get up to 55mph? will your parabolic mirror be able to ride over those same rough mountain roads?

I'm not slagging you, I'm really not. I'm very intrigued as to your design and I've watched every one of your youtube videos...skeptical, yes, but intrigued.

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #186
TheBlurr
Banned

Quote:
We plan to travel the world for about 30 years and help people. I think I can complete the car for December 2013 or March 2014.

I would rather try to help and fail then do nothing.

Good for you, I supply schools, will be moving in the next to years to help upgrade sanitation and basic things which are desperately needed.

No offense to what you are doing but from what I understand it has already been attempted, I could be wrong though.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #187
globalklr650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGreenBooger View Post
Please, call me Boog.

Okay, so you're ditching the gas engine then? are you building a steam powered car? are you generating electricity from the heat / or photovoltaic, and driving an electric car? How much do you think you'll be able to tow with an electric or steam powered mazda? further, how do you intend to get up to 55mph? will your parabolic mirror be able to ride over those same rough mountain roads?

I'm not slagging you, I'm really not. I'm very intrigued as to your design and I've watched every one of your youtube videos...skeptical, yes, but intrigued.
We will keep the gas engine in the car for high power stuff in the beginning. Also the solar thermal power has lots of parts and will break in the beginning so gas back up will be useful. We can also disconnect the trailer and have a normal car. The solar thermal trailer will convert sun light to heat. This heat will be used to boil water and run a small (30hp?) turbine ( i am having a tesla turbine build for first testing). We can hook a generator to the steam turbine to generate electricity if needed. I am thinking of storing about 8hp/hour and producing 4hp continuously. I will charge up heat for 2 hour and melt salt in the 220 lb tank and then drive for an hour at about 55mph. I could drive continuously at maybe 30mph at the 4 hp the panel takes in. That is with a turbine efficiency of 20%. The trailer will be build to withstand most roads but not the roughest. We will avoid off roading when possible. I may design the mirror to lower into a box and get fixed for rough road or high speed travel.

These are great questions please ask more. I am working on this along so questions and new perspectives are always welcome.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #188
globalklr650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlurr View Post
Good for you, I supply schools, will be moving in the next to years to help upgrade sanitation and basic things which are desperately needed.

No offense to what you are doing but from what I understand it has already been attempted, I could be wrong though.
Theblurr,

Please show me something like this. I have been searching for months. There was someone on the 70s that had a heat storage tank and steam engine ina a car and called it a solar thermal car. Problem was he got the heat from a stationary solar thermal source. Like calling an electric car a solar car. To be a solar car you have to bring the panels or mirrors with you (in my opinion). I don't think anyone has build a car with a solar thermal mirror that goes with it. Or much less turns into a camper and travels the work trying to help people.

Please let me know. Maybe I can improve my design looking at what they use.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #189
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
I'm intrigued by all your ideas and videos. I've been following from a far. Can't wait to see a full scale model. Where are you staying in the mean time?

Later
John
Eagletalon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #190
globalklr650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We are staying in our apartment in La Paz Mexico. We will build it here in a garage in La Paz. We will then travel south to south America.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #191
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,398
Quote:

These are great questions please ask more. I am working on this along so questions and new perspectives are always welcome.
How do you generate funds to sustain a RTW trip for 30 years? From what I have read here thus far you were cash strapped the moment you crossed the border into Mexico. Just curious...
Old 08-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #192
globalklr650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I had some money saved up from engineering in the past. My girlfriend currently teaches english and will in many other countries as we travel. We are currently living in Mexico for under $10 a day.

The solar car will provide all our transportation energy, heat for cooking, water distillation and so on. So we will travel very cheap.

I am work on some engineering consulting work as I travel too.

But the plan is work for a while save up
money then travel super cheaply until we work again.

We don't need money to be happy.

We have lived this way for almost a year and a half and it going well so far.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #193
TheBlurr
Banned

Quote:
I had some money saved up from engineering in the past. My girlfriend currently teaches english and will in many other countries as we travel. We are currently living in Mexico for under $10 a day.

The solar car will provide all our transportation energy, heat for cooking, water distillation and so on. So we will travel very cheap.

I am work on some engineering consulting work as I travel too.

But the plan is work for a while save up
money then travel super cheaply until we work again.

We don't need money to be happy.

We have lived this way for almost a year and a half and it going well so far.

And that is all fine and dandy until there is some sort of an Emergency, then what?
You do realize that many of the countries you travel thru require cash up front for any work done on medical emergencies?

Quote:
Please show me something like this. I have been searching for months. There was someone on the 70s that had a heat storage tank and steam engine ina a car and called it a solar thermal car. Problem was he got the heat from a stationary solar thermal source. Like calling an electric car a solar car. To be a solar car you have to bring the panels or mirrors with you (in my opinion). I don't think anyone has build a car with a solar thermal mirror that goes with it. Or much less turns into a camper and travels the work trying to help people.

Please let me know. Maybe I can improve my design looking at what they use.
Im pretty sure everyone else knows the end result of trying to tow a mirror around, very little has not been attempted but by all means go for it.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #194
globalklr650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I will test the mirror for durability. I am testing many different types. I have over %50 reflective efficiency with aluminum foil glued on 1/4 inch ply wood so I could use that if there is nothing better. I am hoping for a better efficiency with plexiglass and real mirror silvering on the back.

I have emergency money in Canada. An emergency credit card. And health care is cheap in these countries. We can see a doctor for $2 here in La Paz and this is one of the most expensive cities in Mexico.

I would rather live my life like this and try to make a difference than be "comfortable" and safe at home.

People may think I am crazy taking these risks but For me it is crazy sitting in one place and letting life pass you by. I remember looking back after a year of work and feeling like I had accomplised nothing and had no significant memories. Now every day I feel like I am trying to help and have many adventures.

To each their own I guess.

If I fail then I had lots of fun trying to make it work and I will have learned other ways to succeed.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:14 AM   #195
globalklr650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I will go for it.

And I think people can guess what will happen if you tow a mirror around but I will not use the standard glass
Mirror. I am an aerospace engineer so I will test for aerodynamics, side wind load, vibration and shock from pot holes. I will try many different mirror types in my next model. I can even strap the test Model to the trailer and drive around on bumpy roads and at high speed to test it. I will not even try a glass mirror because of how fragile it is and because I need something I can bend into a curved trough.