User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
Dalmatino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
KTM 690R /SM owners help

I'd like some feedback from guys using thair 690 enduros as primary roadbikes with SM wheels and switch back to stock wheels for off road adventures. My primary concern is the stability at higher speeds and the nature of the beast running around town and b roads as a regular daily ride. I figure my ratio would be 60/40 street/offroad.

Idea is to buy a new 13 model and lace up a second set of wheels, 110 18" front and 150 17" rear. I ran this on my DR650 and loved it. I could get tires that would grip well under agressive canyon riding and would be ok for basic short off-road excursion...the bike behaved much nicer on raugh roads than with 17"x17" (not as twitchy).
I would switch to stock wheels with more off road biased tires for specific Adventure trips (Baja, alaska, etc.), planed back country exploring trips and so on.

I plan on replacing the stock exhaust can for sure and doing whatever is needed to tune it properly. Having said that!
My bigest concern is that it can be a smooth running bike without irritating glitches in the throttle idle and so on.

I'm aware that I will need other upgrades like a decent seat, bash plate, auxilary tannks, etc..Will need these things regardless what i get.

I am considering the Terra 650 which I know will make a good street bike but just cant get over the 80lbs of weight difference. If the 690 with upgrads is pretty decent for daily road use than it's a no brainer.

All advice and input appreshiated.
Thanks
Dalmatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,758
High speed stability is no issue. With the gearing I use I can hit around 95 at redline and the bike handles just fine with the SM wheelset. Don't know why you would want a 18" front, the 17" front tire sizes are the most economical and easy to find. I've never had any issues with the 17" fonts riding twitchy on dirt roads, but then again the 690 isn't the top heavy pig a DR is.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,435
i gotta 450 SMR that i've done pretty much the same thing with..... i dunno about the front brake on the 690's, but the 450 SMR front is a 4 pot radial that won't work w/a 21" dirt wheel, so i had to get a different set of forks and front brake. the fork bottom/brake mount/brake caliper/rotor is totally different from dirt to sumo, and changing the fork bottom is not something that you want to do regularly.... the other difference is the suspension, which is sprung totally differently for either. if you use the dirtbike spring/sag recommendations for supermoto, i think you're gonna find it's way too soft and gooey and gonna squat bad on asphalt, and conversely the sumo springs are gonna beat yer' azz in the dirt unless you're wicked fast.... if you're just putzing around town, it's ok, but if you wanna start backing it in, you're gonna have to get pretty stiff.... and it's real hard to get good recommendations for springs for sumo, cause' it's not a standard thing like a modern sportbike.... check out the racetech spring calculator, and that should give you an idea for the difference in springs for dirt/sumo.....

i just read the rest of yer' post.... if yer' gonna just go to an 18" front, just keep the 17" and run the pirelli MT60's and fergetabouddit.... there's some other dirt oriented 17" tires too.... gonna sukk on real dirt stuff though..... there's a reason real dirtbikes run 21/18" wheels.....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
Dalmatino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Thanks for the great input guys.
Keep hearing about FI isues...Has this stuff been sorted out for the current bikes?
Dalmatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmatino View Post
Thanks for the great input guys.
Keep hearing about FI isues...Has this stuff been sorted out for the current bikes?
My 12 is totally stock regarding exhaust/airbox/polution control and has no FI issues. At about 1000 miles it sufferred from sudden death syndrome occasionally, but I was told to do the throttle twist reset and that fixed it. Apparently when you change maps one should do the throttle twist reset.

When the motor is cold it's pretty jerky off the bottom, but as soon as op temps come up she's great. Even off road plonking along in the bumps. The twist grip is very light so some of the jerkiness can be induced by the terrain and the rider's wrist. Around the city I short shift it to minimize.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote