Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2014, 11:36 AM   #1
DarkMoll OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Question F800GS Adventure - Steering Damper

Good Day All,

I am new to the Forum and quickly want to introduce myself. Name is Mark and I have been lurking quite often on the Forum and been reading up a bit to get some tips etc. and finally registered.

I recently bought a F800GS Adventure after my previous R1200GS was totalled when some guy in a Land Cruiser T-Boned me :-( Love the F800GSA and feel that she suits me better than my 1200GS (RIP) but somehow I have the need to add a steering damper. I just would like to find out if anybody knows if the Scott Steering Damper for the 2013 F800GS would fit the F800GS Adventure or does the Adventure have a different steering unit?

I live in Namibia and we do not have local suppliers that sell them and I will need to order one thus need to make sure it will work. Kinda sucks living in a place where off-road biking is a dream playground but one can't get the kit for doing so here :-( .
DarkMoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:36 PM   #2
J&K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Everything is the same between the gs and gsa when it comes to the forks and handle bars.
2014 Ktm 1190 R adventure
2003 Ural
J&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:34 PM   #3
DarkMoll OP
n00b

Thank you very much, just what I wanted to hear
Old 02-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #4
Steveo1kinevo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
How does a steering damper affect the handling of the F800GS onroad/offroad? I wish the handling would track straighter than what it currently does off road.
Steveo1kinevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:22 AM   #5
J&K
Gnarly Adventurer

The idea behind it is to take the tank slap out of it in the sand, slows the steering down on sharp jarring moments.
2003 Ural
Old 02-17-2014, 11:35 AM   #6
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,488
I think most buyers do so for the off road benefit. Scott's steering damper is made in two versions. The street version controls steering movement both towards center and away. The dirt version provides resistance away from center and none back to center (straight line) You dial in the amount of resistance and the steering angle you want the resistance to take place.

I have the off road version. It provides a very solid feel on both pavement and dirt.

I think a lot of riders go immediately to the steering damper before addressing the underlying issues. The bike is softly sprung for the typical rider. It is a little light in the front when the rider is seated or carrying a lot of stuff. You address those issues, it becomes less a handful in soft terrain. They are heavy, so you do not horse them around and if riding in loose stuff, you generally need to ride faster and let momentum be your friend.

But Steering dampers do make a difference.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:39 PM   #7
DarkMoll OP
n00b

Very well said!

Steering Dampers only mask some underlying problems (Bike but mostly Rider problems) but do help the Novice by adding some stability. I have seen quite a few training videos where the trainer actually moves his handle bar very aggressively from side to side while driving through thick sand (with a 800GS ) just to prove that the bike by nature does want to stay upright.

At this point I still don't have the skills or the guts for doing so and thus require some training wheels I still will be making some time to actually try and learn riding in sand.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:09 AM   #8
Steveo1kinevo
Adventurer

Thanks guys for the input. I will have to look into installing one before I ride the Arizona Backcountry Discovery route in May. Last year I rode Utah and Colorado and would of loved to have had it.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:24 PM   #9
Steveo1kinevo
Adventurer

Well I just ordered the Scotts damper Offroad version! :) I have been told that Arizona Discovery Route has lots of sand sections…cant wait to see how my F800GS handles with this little guy installed.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:30 PM   #10
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
I love the Scotts, not only did it make offroad more fun and controllable, it also made driving on road more comfortable and less fatiguing.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:59 PM   #11
Steveo1kinevo
Adventurer

I just received the Scotts Steering Damper today and installed it on my F800GS. Wow! ..I can't believe how much better the bike handles! I took it off-road and through some sand and it was like a whole new bike! Now only if the bike would of handled like that from the factory. I HIGHLY suggest anyone that doesn't have one to get one installed. By far the best accessory I have put on my F800GS. I really can't wait to ride the Arizona Backcountry Discovery route in May now that I have this little guy installed.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:56 PM   #12
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
Steve: where'd you buy your damper ? I will need one very soon.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:47 PM   #13
Steveo1kinevo
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Power View Post
Steve: where'd you buy your damper ? I will need one very soon.
I ordered mine here. http://www.scottsonline.com/Stabilizer_Info.php

I still can't believe how much better the F800 handles off road. It took me about 2 hours to install. It comes with step by step instructions with pictures. I still had a question and called them...they walked me through what I was confused about over the phone right away.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:51 PM   #14
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
I have the Ralley Moto on my F800GS. Saved my ass on the Colorado Backcountry Discovery Last Year. Whatever unit you get, just get one!
Old 02-27-2014, 10:10 PM   #15
J&K
Gnarly Adventurer

Have a picture of it installed?
2003 Ural