Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #136
IL adv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I have not ran either one of these tires before but I would think the karoo would be better in the sand then the 705. I've also never been to Colorado so.....
IL adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #137
VincitOmnia
Flyover Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Karoo 3 to the Dempster and back

Just returned from a trip up through BC, the Yukon and NWT. Rode the Dempster, Telegraph Creek, South Canol Road, Top of the World Highway, and other cool roads. Three days of nonstop rain in BC gave me lots of opportunity to evaluate the K3's on rain slicked roads, gravel, and mud. The tires were awesome. As steady or better than my TKCs in the rain and gravel. Through the ever present oil coated, freshly graded gravel we encountered on the Dempster they handled very well. Rode them aired down to about 25/30 off road and 32/36 on the pavement. No issues at either inflation level, and no flats. Ended up with 5,000+ miles total, which included a significant portion of off road riding, on a fully loaded GSA. They had about 400 miles on them when I started. The front is still in great shape, looks like it could easily do another 5,000 miles, and the rear is about 70% gone. I expect that the rear has another 1,000 miles for sure left in it for off road use, and maybe 2,000 of street use. I'm going to leave it on the rest of the summer and see how many more miles I get out of it, but it'll be mostly commuting on a stripped down bike so it's not a very accurate measure of how much more I could've gotten on a fully loaded bike.

I gotta say though, these are the tires I'm sticking with for now. They behaved very well in everything I put them through on this trip. I've heard some others complain about them wearing out really fast in warmer climates, but that hasn't been an issue for me at all yet. Maybe when it gets warmer here I'll have a chance to experiment with riding them on really hot pavement.

VO
Old 07-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #138
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,554
Splendid mini review....thanks.

How did you find the front tyre for grip and steering?...

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #139
ADVCanuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Really enjoying...

...my Karoo (T)`s front and rear! Wondering about wear - heading to Rally at the Gorge in Stevenson, WA and planning to return to BC on the WABDR - trial runs on Vancouver logging mains and secondaries are promising so far - kinda want them to be around to spoon on when this set wears out...

"Wherever you go, there you are" - Jon Kabat-Zinn
ADVCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #140
VincitOmnia
Flyover Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
K3 Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBO View Post
Splendid mini review....thanks.

How did you find the front tyre for grip and steering?...

The front seemed to be at least as solid in the turns as the TKC80 on gravel. I went out before the trip began on the gravel road I live on and experimented with emergency stops and cornering and it was very solid.

On pavement it was noticeably better braking than either the TKC or K60 I've previously tried.

It wobbles some on the steel bridge decking, but just about any tire will do that.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #141
birdie_xx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 766
Any other Karoo 3 experiences ???
birdie_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:15 AM   #142
iJabberwocky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
I have had mine for about a month now and love them off road. They are solid in the dirt and rocky sections. I even had them in a flash flood on one of our rides, they cleaned very nicely once I could get up to speed going through the mud (that was mostly rider ability in the mud...I suck at it). I just got new fork springs on my 800GS last night so I will be taking it back out this weekend for some hard riding.
Pavement riding I notice more vibrations over my K60's but these are more aggressive.
So far I like these tires off road, I am curious to see what kind of mileage I get. I am not riding a lot of pavement until after the end of August because I am dong the WABDR on them.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #143
Audun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
So why do vehicle front tyres have their tread falling rearward ?

I'd love to see a link to the concept. This far I have not found one and have only found one supporting the tread falling rearwards on a vehicle. Be that a family car or tractor. This uses the logic of driving either water or mud outwards and out of the tyre.

Let's take an extreme - why don't the front tyres on a tractor fall forward? They face the same way as the rear tyres yet they don't drive.

I believe the answer is to do with real intended surface use and even then it's tenuous.

If you are barreling down a complete muddy trail and want the front tyre to clear mud then how does the direction affect that? Won't mud simply build up and cause front to clog up with mud?

Id love this to be sorted as the explanations apart from yours could do better.
Search for pictures of 2wd tractor. Look at front thread and revise comment. The tractors you refer to have 4wd. Please find more suitable reference for your claims. Traction and braking have opposite forces, also in mud, thus your snowplowing effect needs to be reversed for front vs rear.

Regards,
Audun
Audun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:19 AM   #144
Avner
Not noob anymore

Oddometer: 135
Karoo3 2,000 mile report

First I want to thank the pioneers on the earlier posts that helped me made my decision, and I hope that this post will help the next guy as well.

I had TKC80 on two previous bikes (R1200GS and G650GS), and after going through two rear TKC80 tires on my F800GS over the span of 6,000 miles I decided to give the Karoo3 a chance. I was contemplating switching to a tire different than the TKC80 for a while for two reasons: 1 - longevity. 2- cornering on slab when you feel like scraping some parts. The only other option I was concidering was the Heidenau-k60, but a few other friends had them and they fell way short behind the TKC80 when it came to off-road performance.

My experience is not as extensive as VincitOmnia's, but I just came back from a Horizons Unlimited meeting in Ontario where I rode about 600 miles each way on the slab + small roads, and about 200 miles of off-road mix of rocks, sand, mud, single-track trails and water crossings.

My impression is that the Karoo3 give me much more confidence while cornering on the pavement, and I no longer feel like I “lose” the front tire while pushing the envelope. There's much less vibration on higher speeds (75 to 90 MPH), so I feel safer there too. The Karoo3 do feel hard on the slab, and at times noisy as well, but that does not bother me. Off the pavement the tires feel good on gravel, but when it comes to the loose stuff- especially in the mud the rear tire will be all over the place until I drop the air pressure to around 25 PSI and the front to 20 PSI. At that point it might not be as good as the TKC-80 in dicey situations, but it can pretty much take me through everything.

In conclusion, I feel that by switching to the Karoo3 tires I gained much more confidence on the road without loosing too much ability off-road. Add the longevity of the Karoo3 as oppose to the TKC80, and I think that we have a winner here! I'll keep you posted.

Avner screwed with this post 09-30-2013 at 09:37 AM
Avner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #145
gnurob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avner View Post
I had TKC80 on two previous bikes (R1200GS and G650GS), and after going through two rear TKC80 tires on my F800GS over the span of 6,000 miles I decided to give the Karoo3 a chance. I was contemplating switching to a tire different than the TKC80 for a while for two reasons: 1 - longevity. 2- cornering on slab when you feel like scraping some parts. The only other option I was concidering was the Heidenau-k60, but a few other friends had them and they fell way short behind the TKC80 when it came to off-road performance.
Your riding preferences and style seem very close to mine. I rode the K60 and loved it on the road but found it just passes at getting trough difficult terrain. Switching to the Kenda Big Block solved all my problems, and I am even happy with it on road at some pretty agressive speeds. Wear is a small price to pay.

On the other hand, the constant speed wobble at 130 km/h and progressively worse and speeds increase is terrible. I've tried a lot of things for solutions, including Hyperpro springs front and rear but nothing works.

So, how are the K3's for wobbles? ...on cambered grassy fields? ...climbing steep hills with loose dirt? ...cornering on dirt roads at decent speeds?

Thanks!
gnurob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:09 PM   #146
RexBuck
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnurob View Post
Your riding preferences and style seem very close to mine. I rode the K60 and loved it on the road but found it just passes at getting trough difficult terrain. Switching to the Kenda Big Block solved all my problems, and I am even happy with it on road at some pretty agressive speeds. Wear is a small price to pay.

On the other hand, the constant speed wobble at 130 km/h and progressively worse and speeds increase is terrible. I've tried a lot of things for solutions, including Hyperpro springs front and rear but nothing works.

So, how are the K3's for wobbles? ...on cambered grassy fields? ...climbing steep hills with loose dirt? ...cornering on roads at decent speeds?

Thanks!
Huh? Wobbles? Never experienced that . . . other than the wobble that might occur just before I crash in mud or sand. Had the original Anakees, TKC80 (F) & Heidenau (R) and TKC80 both and have never experienced a wobble . . . high speed or anything else.

I'm always interested in looking at new tires and these Karoo 3s are interesting. However, I am prepared to give up longevity for better handling in soft conditions (mud and sand) which I have with the TKC80. Good handling on twsities - don't normally drag parts on this bike riding twisties but have a couple of times with these tires.

So, am interested in any opinions about handling of the Karoo 3 in wet conditions, both pavement and mud.
www.rexbuck.com - RexBuck's Latin America
RexBuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:30 AM   #147
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,593
I just ordered a set.

I have a trip to the GP at Phillip Island to do. As usual I will do back roads, fire trails, National Parks dirt roads until I start to run low on time, then slab it through the rest of Victoristan to the fabled Island.

Reverse trip for ride home. Based on previous years, they should see just about every road surface except snow. Although, if I remember correctly, I did get some of that a few years back. -6 C at one point. My friend had piss weak summer gloves on and he was the saddest man I've ever seen after 2 hours in the cold.

So I'll know soon enough if I like them.

I'm taking off a Pirelli Rally front and an E07 rear, with 6500kms on them. The vast majority of that now has been on shaley fire trails. I am changing them before the trip due to the number of cuts and tears in the rear. Not comfortable with the best part of 1800 kms in a weekend on tyres showing that much damage. I think they've got about 4000kms until they hit legal wear limit left on them tread depth wise. But the rear is at the wear point where it's marginal in full off road conditions.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:10 AM   #148
Jays-f800gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
I've had a set karoo III's on for a week. I think I've found the tire for me. I commute almost daily and they run smooth (up to 70 so far) and seem very planted (even seen some rain). A little more vibrations then stock, obviously but nothing annoying. Took a small trail yesterday and they felt pretty good.

My riding is mainly commuting 75%, then 25% fun which could be 50-50 road/dirt.

For the $ I think this is going to be my tire. For you knarly guys how ride the TAT to work everyday they might not work for you, but I did go to Starbucks and hit a mud puddle on the way, so...
Old 10-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #149
Avner
Not noob anymore

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnurob View Post
So, how are the K3's for wobbles? ...on cambered grassy fields? ...climbing steep hills with loose dirt? ...cornering on dirt roads at decent speeds?

Thanks!
gnurob, it is too soon for me to answer this definitely, but I've pushed the bike close to 100MPH with the Karoo3 , and I felt safe doing this. With the TK80 anything over 85MPH felt very wobbly, and if a gust of wind or some buffeting started at those speeds it could escalate quickly to a very unpleasant shaking until I let the throttle go a bit. I try not to do this, but sometimes you need to get up there to pass a truck or get ahead of traffic, and I'm happy to have this confidence now with the Karoos.
On the dirt it is quite the opposite. The TKC80 is much better off-road than the Karoo3, but the Karoo3 is MUCH better than the Heidenau-k60. I hope this answers your question about the off-road performance of the tire. Just like Jays-f800gs said - I think that this is going to be my tire from now on, but it is too soon to cement it.
Avner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #150
gnurob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avner View Post
gnurob, it is too soon for me to answer this definitely, but I've pushed the bike close to 100MPH with the Karoo3 , and I felt safe doing this. With the TK80 anything over 85MPH felt very wobbly, and if a gust of wind or some buffeting started at those speeds it could escalate quickly to a very unpleasant shaking until I let the throttle go a bit. I try not to do this, but sometimes you need to get up there to pass a truck or get ahead of traffic, and I'm happy to have this confidence now with the Karoos.
On the dirt it is quite the opposite. The TKC80 is much better off-road than the Karoo3, but the Karoo3 is MUCH better than the Heidenau-k60. I hope this answers your question about the off-road performance of the tire. Just like Jays-f800gs said - I think that this is going to be my tire from now on, but it is too soon to cement it.
Your TCK80 speed numbers are right on par with mine. That's pretty reassuring that a K3 would partially cure the wobble. Thank you for the extra comments, I'll really have to think about trying this tire. Maybe just the front, with a big block on the rear.

The Hyperpro front/rear springs did almost nothing. They swore they would. Sale made I guess. At least the handling is nicely improved.

BTW, I found the K60s OK to 185 km/h (115 MPH), sometimes max speed even. Of course this isn't the normal everyday ride but sometimes it comes up. There was a time I managed to keep mid-to front if a pack of litre bikes for a couple hours at top speeds in the twisties. Man, did they give the 800 a second look then. Haha. But, back to reality... that was a one off.
gnurob is offline   Reply With Quote