User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
dirtybikefrank OP
Beast wrestler

Oddometer: 360
Pissed HELP! First time single tracking the 990

So I'm at the local riding spot which consists of 800 acres of trails. Most of which are single track and rated with a diamond system 1 being easy and 6 being expert. After taking the 525 on a few of the 3's and staying clean I thought id try the 990 adventure on a few. It's new to me and feels soooo much lighter than my old GSA.

Bad idea.

Got to the top of a really steep rocky uphill section and the bike stalled. Lost momentum and balance and although my 28" inseam did its best, dropped her on the right side. No worries. Picked it up and tried to walk it up the rest of the way but slipped on the rocks and dropped it on the left side. Neither spills were too violent as I was going slow.

Here's where I need the help of the OC crew...

Once I got the bike upright I tried to start it and it pissed fuel out of the left side and wouldn't start. Turned it off and tried it again. Same thing. Seems like the fuel injection primes the engine before startup and shoots gas all over. Took the plastics off and noticed a hose had come loose that leads to the tank. It looks like it has a sort of quick release clip on it and fits over a piece that's white plastic. I can't figure out how it goes back together. Tried to push them together but they won't stay and they don't appear to be broken.

Bike won't start at all and is still on the trail. I'll go back tomorrow as its still wayyy down in a ravine and I'll need a 4x4 quad to rescue it. No way to push it out.

ANY help would be appreciated. Can I bypass the left side tank? I tried to crimp the hose to the tank and it still wouldn't start. Doesn't even squirt gas out anymore. Is that connection a quick release or did it break?

Thanks in advance.
dirtybikefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
dirtybikefrank OP
Beast wrestler

Oh yeah

Shes an 07 990 adventure.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
BoulderGuy
out ridin'....

Oddometer: 433
Bump. Sorry I cant help since I have a 950.....
BoulderGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
Bullskin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Sounds like the fuel line between the pump (which is inside the tank) and the throttle bodies has come apart somehow. When you cycle the key and the pump runs, it pumps gas out the broken hose. If you get that back together it should work. Perhaps just replace the section of hose. You can't bypass the left tank since the pump is inside it. I am very curious how that could have broken. It should be pretty well protected up behind the tank.
Bullskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Sounds like the disconnect from the pump to the TB is broke and while you're fixing that you need a rekluse so you don't stall the bike and or burn up the clutch.

You can get a splice at most automotive stores http://www.jmsonline.net/attwood-fue...FSOnPAodpDEAbA
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Hahaha, I've been riding dirt since about 1968, and my 990 would not be my first choice for intentionally riding single track. It wouldn't even be my fourth choice and we only have three bikes, lol.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #7
dirtybikefrank OP
Beast wrestler

Thanks for the replies. The bike came down hard and i havent installed the crashbars yet. They have just moved up my list of projects though...I figured it was the hose and the splice idea is probably the fix. I was wondering if anyone had the same issue after a crash. The fitting that connects the hose to the tb seems strange that it has such a weird connection.

Ill dig into it tomorrow and report back.

Cheers
Old 12-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
AdvRonski
They call me......Ronski

Oddometer: 673
I've ridden my 950 on a lot of singletrack, and found that it does very well on relatively flat ground, and even fairly steep climbs that are free of rocks. Rocky uphills are like Kryptonite to these bikes, though. They are VERY heavy, VERY tall, and have very little flywheel effect. As soon as the rear wheel starts to spin, and you begin to lose momentum, you are coming to a halt very quickly, followed by an abrupt engine stall. Then, when you stab a leg out to keep it upright, your foot slips on the rocks, and down you go!
They require a very different riding style than the 525, that's for sure.
I've learned to just turn around when the trail turns into this-

To prevent this-

Old 12-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 748
I am assuming you are talking about highland park. Go into the office and ask Paul or Jesse or glen if they have any ideas about what the problem is. I have a 950 so I can't help but I have ridden there a lot and my last time there was the first time on the 950. I'll be back for more!
SpeedyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,595
Riding choice aside...

Yes it sounds like you broke the quick disconnect.

A quick solution would be to remove the plastic part and install a brass fitting to connect the two parts to get it off the trail. More than likely the male piece of the connector broke off in the fall and that allowed the gas to leak when the pump primed.

After you moved it around it was able to back out enough to seal up again.

Without pictures it is hard to visualize what you are doing.

You can see the male side to the connector in the V of the motor mount (Silver part)

DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:10 AM   #11
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,732
Seems you broke the fast connector?

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...UEL+DISCONNECT
gefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:52 AM   #12
dirtybikefrank OP
Beast wrestler

Yeah! You guys rule. Gefr- thats exactly what I broke. Thanks for all the replies. $9 is way cheaper than any of the times my BMW took a nap.

Ride safe men. I appreciate the help.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:48 AM   #13
ChR1s
Spherical Bastard

Oddometer: 336
I experienced a somewhat similar experience, on a different model KTM. Fuel started spewing all over me/the bike. Found that someone (service shop @ dealer) had replaced one of the high pressure clamps with a regular hose clamp, at the quick-disconnect. The hose clamp cut into the fuel line, causing it to rupture. Those damned shop monkeys...

The fitting on your bike might not have been seated all the way, and come loose during the fall?
Old 12-16-2012, 08:47 AM   #14
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 965
Before you start tearing things apart make sure you understand how the quick-connect works. Look into the female side and operate the spring return slider. Maybe just the spring is bad, in which case you could pull the slider to the "normal" position. Maybe you weren't inserting your male end far enough (have you heard that one before maybe?). The last time I worked on the bike it was months before I did the reassembly, and it took a little time for me to realize I didn't have it in all the way. If the o-ring is dry it can fight you. Normally this means you will get no fuel from the pump at all, and you may very well have a broken quick-connect, but try all the simple things first. If the spring return is screwed, or there is something not 100% about the fuel line but it gets you going for long enough to retrieve the bike, make sure you fix it correctly at the first opportunity. I have had a fire under a fuel tank while filling at the gas station (not a KTM) and it is something that will inspire a change of shorts.

Oops, either I didn't post fast enough or didn't read carefully enough. Glad you got it fixed.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #15
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChR1s View Post
Found that someone (service shop @ dealer) had replaced one of the high pressure clamps with a regular hose clamp, at the quick-disconnect. The hose clamp cut into the fuel line, causing it to rupture.

Fuel hose clamps must be smooth/non-serrated or risk hose failure.
I use these on all my bikes. Never a failure.
http://www.beemerboneyard.com/133114609286pk.html

I see lots of kits for fuel applications with the wrong clamps like the one listed above ???
http://www.jmsonline.net/attwood-fue...FSOnPAodpDEAbA
Would maybe be OK for temporary repair, but why not just supply the correct ones ???

Here is an assortment of fuel line clamp types.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_sl_6f...mps+motorcycle

Proper knowledge and usage of all the parts on our bikes beats pushing/towing every time.

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster screwed with this post 12-16-2012 at 09:15 AM
holckster is offline   Reply With Quote