User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
khpossum OP
poster

Oddometer: 466
Touratech Xchallenge air filter, not looking so good

I finally bought a 2007 XChallenge yesterday with 3700 miles, looking good, thrilled to have it. Today I just had to get some wrenches on this thing to make sure everything looks good. I went among other things after the air filter. I pulled the cover off and found this:

Not too thrilled about this. I like paper filters generally better the foam filters, this certainly did not change my mind. I have no idea what happened here. That foam is very thin, it did not take much for it to wind up like this. Did the engine backfire and burn the foam??

I took the remainder of the airbox off. What a pain in the ass to get that one front screw out. I don't think it is going back in, what are others doing, just leave it out?

I found a few small pieces of foam in the bottom of the box. Fortunately the bike has only 3700 miles on it, so it has not gone on for ever, but it certainly looks like a substantial portion of the foam went thru the engine.

The throttle body does not look very clean either, not horrible, just not very clean at all!! What did the foam and the dirt do to the engine? I don't know.

What a way to start with a new bike.

KP
khpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,385
Mouse? They seem to like airboxes. Even though my bikes are garaged, I've found nuts in the airbox and had a mouse steal the foam between my radiator and body on my truck to make a nest. I just use the OEM paper filter on my X.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
i better check mine more often, i have the foam in my f650 dakar too!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
khpossum OP
poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Mouse? They seem to like airboxes. Even though my bikes are garaged, I've found nuts in the airbox and had a mouse steal the foam between my radiator and body on my truck to make a nest. I just use the OEM paper filter on my X.
I had not considered that, i will look at that possibility a little closer. 3700 miles in 5 years, it had enough down time.
If the mouse had nested there i would have expected more material there.

Kp
Old 12-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
SoSlow
Having fun

Oddometer: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
I'm casting my vote for mouse as well... might want to check the wiring.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 762
This doesn't reflect well on the previous owner.

You only bought the bike yesterday. If it was me preparing a bike for sale, I would make sure the air filter was clean and oiled. Or replaced something like that filter with a new one.

I would be concerned with how long it's been like that and what has gone through the engine. I wouldn't be concerned with the foam, that is soft and would burn, but dust and dirt can do nasty things to engines.

Does the bike run ok? Compression. Oil usage or blue smoke?

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
khpossum OP
poster

Looking at the airbox around the filter inlet I suppose it is possible for a mouse to get in, but not likely. And if a mouse made it in I would like to think it would make it its home away from home in that nice soft foam, but again, pretty rough getting in and out. There is no sign of that. Neither are there chuncks of foam laying inside that would have been chewed off. I think the foam went in.

I have no idea about oil consumption yet or compression. The engine is not smoking at all and exhaust looks bone dry, like new. The airbox has a minimal oil sheen on one side in one spot, no oil puddle. I assume the crankcase breather winds up in the airbox, but have not chased that own down yet. There is a bit of an oil mess on the swingarm under the oil tank, but I think it came from the oil filler cap. I will find a better oring for it tomorrow, see if that fixes that problem.

KP
Old 12-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #8
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,976
That Touratech stuff is cheap crap!

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #9
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
almost looks like a chemical weakened the part that blew out. you can see discoloration on the area that blew through.maybe fuel or something sat on part of the foam?
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #10
FinnDuro
Winter wonderlanding

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by khpossum View Post
I finally bought a 2007 XChallenge yesterday with 3700 miles
That foam is very thin, it did not take much for it to wind up like this. Did the engine backfire and burn the foam??
Properly maintained, that airfilter would last years and years. So, it actually would take much for it to wind up like that, don't fool yourself or play it down on the seller's part. Whoever had that bike, did not care much for it, IMO. Best case scenario is that last airfilter cleaning was done by some super chemical that ate the foam rapidly, and bike didn't eat too many hundreds miles of dust thereafter. Mouse, kinda unlikely...

If it really was yesterday, I'd get back to the person who sold it and give him a nice but firm WTF talk, maybe try to get a little refund to go along. Good point is if the bike otherwise looks in top shape, as this particular filter sample is very suspicious.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #11
Don't shoot me!!!
Snowflakes are cold...

Oddometer: 569
That's a new one, newer seen that before
That filter doesn't seem to have been oiled ever......
Don't shoot me!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #12
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
That Touratech stuff is cheap crap!
There. Fixed that for you.
http://photos.boggis.com
BogeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #13
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,834
Is the foam filter sold by Touratch just a rebranded Unifilter?

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #14
Don't shoot me!!!
Snowflakes are cold...

Oddometer: 569
I have the same filter.
Even though i'm not cleaning it to often, i'd say it's better than the paper filter.
As Finn said, treated right you have the filter for years....
Don't shoot me!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #15
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,834
Adding the pre filter on top helps a lot in dusty areas too.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote