ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #136
Lornce
Lost In Place
 
Lornce's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Way Out There.
Oddometer: 18,135
North American buying public thought the SR500 was too slow and old fashioned with only a single cylinder and kick starting. It didn't sell terribly well.

That was thirty-five years ago.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #137
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin
 
oalvarez's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: CA HWY 2
Oddometer: 2,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
And for some reason REs are selling. It's impossible to find a discount on one, even though they are seriously overpriced for their poor quality...........

While Honda's new CB1100 looks great, I would like it a lot more if it looked like this. Or the 1969 CB750. If it did, I'd be down at the credit union looking for a loan.
as are the Moto Guzzi V7s and Triumph Bonnies.....if you ask me, it's more about the "looks" than anything else.
__________________
2015 BMW r nine T | 2012 Vespa 300 Super
past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, KTM 1290 SDR, and some BMWs as well
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #138
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Oddometer: 3,746
Well, who knows? When the SR500 came out in '78 it was a deliberate retro bike in a sea of (then) "new tech" bikes like a GS750. The moto industry was at its apogee as far as sales and 'boomer demographics, levels of buying, and presumably riding, not since matched. People then were all a flutter about the next latest and greatest, usually in displacement. Due to age and economics perhaps that era is on the wane (bike buying certainly has) and it may attract the now old farts back who'd rather have the charm of a simple bike, or newer riders who don't have the coin for a $10,000 standard, but can afford $4K or so for a SR400.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #139
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin
 
oalvarez's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: CA HWY 2
Oddometer: 2,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
Due to age and economics perhaps that era is on the wane (bike buying certainly has) and it may attract the now old farts back who'd rather have the charm of a simple bike, or newer riders who don't have the coin for a $10,000 standard, but can afford $4K or so for a SR400.
agreed! i think higher fuel prices are helping bring new riders into the sport, and who seem to gravitate towards the price-point bikes. additionally, more and more do i see females buying the modern retros as well, it's all good.

the bikes we're speaking of all look pretty good to me, some great even, and if the majority of my riding included community or buzzing around town (glorified scooter), i'd own one too, but of real vintage. the relevance that comes along with a true vintage bike makes up for the performance they don't offer, at least i think so.

the SR 400 looks good, and at least a bit more substantial than the modern-retro Enfield shown in the other thread.
__________________
2015 BMW r nine T | 2012 Vespa 300 Super
past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, KTM 1290 SDR, and some BMWs as well
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #140
Lornce
Lost In Place
 
Lornce's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Way Out There.
Oddometer: 18,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
the SR 400 looks good, and at least a bit more substantial than the modern-retro Enfield shown in the other thread.
Can't agree with that statement.

Newest Enfields are pretty good, quality-wise. And the finish, complete with hand striped tanks, leave the SR400 for dead.

Ignition rotor failures were pretty common on the SR500, and that was a $600 fix - thirty-five years ago.



damhik.
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #141
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin
 
oalvarez's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: CA HWY 2
Oddometer: 2,598





Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Can't agree with that statement.

Newest Enfields are pretty good, quality-wise. And the finish, complete with hand striped tanks, leave the SR400 for dead.
Maybe it's just the photos but the Enfield looks chintzy to me.
__________________
2015 BMW r nine T | 2012 Vespa 300 Super
past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, KTM 1290 SDR, and some BMWs as well
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #142
plugeye
mc caregiver
 
plugeye's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Garland, Texas
Oddometer: 3,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Newest Enfields are pretty good, quality-wise. And the finish, complete with hand striped tanks, leave the SR400 for dead.
damhik.
huh.
i'd take japan over india every time.
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #143
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,507
But they are twins, different from a thumper.
Plus the V7 is very small in size and the Bonneville is a heavy pig of a bike that does not handle very well.

That still leaves the TU250 as the only street bike thumper with a practical vintage style you can ride hard and long without vibration tearing things apart.

Practical? It is big enough and comfortable enough for two adults, can carry cargo on a rear rack, holds enough gas to get someplace, you only have to buy oil to maintain it, you can lift it and shove it against the wall in the garage, electric start and fuel injection makes it easy to live with.

Plus its fun to ride.


Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
as are the Moto Guzzi V7s and Triumph Bonnies.....if you ask me, it's more about the "looks" than anything else.
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #144
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin
 
oalvarez's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: CA HWY 2
Oddometer: 2,598
i'm talking specifically of the resurgence of the modern-retros, nothing to do with singles or twins.

my take is that they're lookers more than anything else, and may be fun to ride (depends on one's idea of "fun"), but performance bikes they are not. yes, they're practical, can even offer utility, but so can a scooter.

the V7 is not very small at 400+ lbs.

comfortable for two adults? for how long!?!?!
__________________
2015 BMW r nine T | 2012 Vespa 300 Super
past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, KTM 1290 SDR, and some BMWs as well
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #145
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Oddometer: 3,746
A current "modern retro" usually doesn't perform as well, handle or brake as well, nor does it have the top shelf components of the higher tier modern bikes but all the modern retro's perform as well (actually, usually better) handle better, brake better and are leagues more reliable and comfortable than the original bikes they are replicating. Given that and considering they are less expensive than a top tier bike I feel that's a pretty good place to be.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #146
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin
 
oalvarez's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: CA HWY 2
Oddometer: 2,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
A current "modern retro" usually doesn't perform as well, handle or brake as well, nor does it have the top shelf components of the higher tier modern bikes but all the modern retro's perform as well (actually, usually better) handle better, brake better and are leagues more reliable and comfortable than the original bikes they are replicating. Given that and considering they are less expensive than a top tier bike I feel that's a pretty good place to be.
this i believe to be true, but at $10k for some of them, you get looks and perhaps the ride of your dreams, but i don't think you get a lot for the money
__________________
2015 BMW r nine T | 2012 Vespa 300 Super
past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, KTM 1290 SDR, and some BMWs as well
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #147
Lornce
Lost In Place
 
Lornce's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Way Out There.
Oddometer: 18,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
this i believe to be true, but at $10k for some of them, you get looks and perhaps the ride of your dreams, but i don't think you get a lot for the money
Exactly.

That, and a lot of older bikes will run circles around them. Modern Bonnies, overweight and underpowered, are a poor styling exercise and little else.

My '74 R90/6 makes similar power to a modern Bonneville and weighs about 75lbs less. It looks good and always draws a crowd. Paid $1600 for it, it's reliable and has technology your dog could master if you took the time to train him.

imho, If you're going to spend modern money: Buy yourself a modern bike.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #148
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Oddometer: 3,746
Sir Lornce does make a good point. The V7 Classic is indeed about $1500 too expensive, as are several of the other replica efforts. And indeed, a modern Bonnie is tubby thing, although reliable compared with an original, bu tI think they got a lot of the look wrong, the W650 did a better job with that. I am not sure of the performance difference between a T100 and a '69 TR6, but the T100 has 250cc more, so in reality the the TR6 is probably a better performer considering displacement and the weight difference. My fave Bonnie's are the latter ones, '72 & up, 750cc, with a 5 speed on the left, and a disc brake. Yes, even the oil in the frame. Certainly, less pure than a "sacred Bonnie" - which makes the latter marques affordable.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #149
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,507
The V7 is over $9000.00 now I think, its light for a 750 shaft drive bike, but its small in size.
I have had a new and an old Bonneville at the same time, and in many respects, the old (1979) was the better bike.
It felt faster and much more nimble being over 50 pounds lighter.
It was much more comfortable then the new ones in every respect, sounded better, looked better.
No electric start, and more high rpm vibrations, which made it feel like a real motorcycle.
In their day, they were reliable, I had a new one in 1979 and made many long trips on one, 9000 mile trips, rode it to work year round, and had very few problems, key switch and speedo drive was about it.

Over 30 years of progress and I do not see any big improvement in bikes.
The new ones seem heavier, more complicated and less comfortable.
Sport bikes have gotten better, dirt bikes have gotten better in suspension.

I am 6 foot, 200 pounds, my wife is not little, and yes, the TU250 is good for 2 or 3 hour rides with her on the back.
She reports its better then the new Bonneville was, the new sportster, about the same as the 1969 Daytona and the 79 Bonneville.
For both of us, the 79 Bonneville has the edge, but the last one I had was a rust bucket and was too easy to get tickets on, as it would do 100+ mph quickly.

My kick start bikes always started one or two kicks, and the 750's were easy to kick except when it was 20F out, what with gear lube in the trans, but they all started well.
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #150
Lornce
Lost In Place
 
Lornce's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Way Out There.
Oddometer: 18,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
The V7 is over $9000.00 now I think, its light for a 750 shaft drive bike, but its small in size.
I have had a new and an old Bonneville at the same time, and in many respects, the old (1979) was the better bike.
It felt faster and much more nimble being over 50 pounds lighter.
It was much more comfortable then the new ones in every respect, sounded better, looked better.
No electric start, and more high rpm vibrations, which made it feel like a real motorcycle.
In their day, they were reliable, I had a new one in 1979 and made many long trips on one, 9000 mile trips, rode it to work year round, and had very few problems, key switch and speedo drive was about it.

Over 30 years of progress and I do not see any big improvement in bikes.
The new ones seem heavier, more complicated and less comfortable.
Sport bikes have gotten better, dirt bikes have gotten better in suspension.

I am 6 foot, 200 pounds, my wife is not little, and yes, the TU250 is good for 2 or 3 hour rides with her on the back.
She reports its better then the new Bonneville was, the new sportster, about the same as the 1969 Daytona and the 79 Bonneville.
For both of us, the 79 Bonneville has the edge, but the last one I had was a rust bucket and was too easy to get tickets on, as it would do 100+ mph quickly.

My kick start bikes always started one or two kicks, and the 750's were easy to kick except when it was 20F out, what with gear lube in the trans, but they all started well.
Word.



(former '70 TR6R owner, and at 350lbs and 50hp it was the shit).
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015