Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 18,135
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #122
ivantheterrible
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
naive question-----why is it any skin off Yamaha's nose to just bring it over in small numbers? they already produce it, and no doubt they'd sell some. I'm sure it's not as easy as that. could one of y'all, who know more about the industry, please enlighten me. I'm curious to know.
ivantheterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #123
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivantheterrible View Post
naive question-----why is it any skin off Yamaha's nose to just bring it over in small numbers? they already produce it, and no doubt they'd sell some. I'm sure it's not as easy as that. could one of y'all, who know more about the industry, please enlighten me. I'm curious to know.
Well for one thing they have to get it approved by the EPA. That costs something.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #124
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,172
and they have to warehouse parts and produce manuals in american english and train mechanics etc...Which is why the Kawa W650 lasted two years and the W800 never arrived here.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:55 AM   #125
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaFanatic View Post
That's a nice little video, but did anyone else notice the size of the flippers on that girl? They're HUGE Every time they show a close up of her trying to kick start the SR, it looks like Bozo The Clown's foot!

They should have brought back the bike in the pic on the work bench! She could have started a F.I. RD400!
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #126
NONo443
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
While this exact model might not be something that i'll buy if I had the money at the time (mostly because of what it doesn't have); it has, in spirit, some of the things that I like in motorcycles (Analog gauges, kickstart, efi, not scary fast but not terribly slow, not too expensive to make me weep if I crash it or something crashes into it, etc.; this list is getting too long). If they do bring it over, I hope it is in small numbers.
NONo443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:32 AM   #127
gentlemanjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Dennis View Post
I have one availiable with 2200 miles on it. Has been house art for the last 7 years. Flawless paint and panels. $3000.
PM for pics and history.
[]http://
It doesn't get uch better than a SRX - If I only had the cash it would be a NY minute decision.

gentlemanjim screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 04:35 AM Reason: typo
gentlemanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:39 AM   #128
gentlemanjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
It's sweet, but let's be realistic in order to compete today it need E start because the few of us here that would buy one won't make it practical to import. A good potential competitor to the TU250, XV250, CBR250R and EX300. Now offer the standard SR along side a faired SRX and that's the magic bulllet "Have your way"
gentlemanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:11 AM   #129
TxRoadDog
Shut up and ride

Oddometer: 498
I'm going to buy one if they bring it over.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #130
mentalfloss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Any minute now someone will chime in with complaints about lack of ABS, traction control, too little horsepower, if only it came with luggage, yada yada yada.
Why don't you go yell at kids that are thinking about coming into your yard....
mentalfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #131
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,799
get off my lawn

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #132
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,507
I feel the same way.
And I am sure its easy to get a bit more power out of it just by doing the usual things.
Let it breath and jet it right, or put on a pumper carb and I bet the power goes up.
A nice broad power band is often better then a lot of high rpm only power, and so is a long life motor.

The speed limit around here is 65 mph, and anything over 70 will get you tickets, so I do not need 90 hp.
My TU has about 18 hp and has no problem doing 70 most of the time, anything over that would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
That is one of the most beautiful bikes I've ever seen. I would be willing to pay a pretty penny for it, based on it's looks alone. It actually looks like a MOTORCYCLE, and would be 10 times more reliable than a Royal Enfield. Would probably seriously out perform one too. And for some reason REs are selling. It's impossible to find a discount on one, even though they are seriously overpriced for their poor quality.

Unfortunately too many people do not appreciate something like this for it to ever be profitable, so Yamaha is not likely to bring it here. While Honda's new CB1100 looks great, I would like it a lot more if it looked like this. Or the 1969 CB750. If it did, I'd be down at the credit union looking for a loan.
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #133
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,746
The SR500 made 27 hp, that is, claimed. This 400 claims the same hp. Maybe FI got it there? Most SR500 engine mods spruced it up performance wise some, but risked reliability and had the potential to make living it with it cantankerous. I had two SR500's and they were vibe prone. If you have a TU250 or any modern retro after awhile you may find yourself disliking the SR400 because of this, but maybe the reduction to 400 cc's reduced the vibe quotient. (as I understand it the tax on bikes over 400cc in Japan is substantial so maybe that's why its a 400 and not a 500). It would be cool to have it come over here though, but still, e-start would be good. Even though I claim I had the drill down with the old SR's (and I had one very recently) sometimes it was just a minor and unneeded hassle to kick-start it, sometimes you just don't feel like it (in many cases its a real good idea to have it on the center stand). My RD350 was another story for kick starting: I could lean over and do it by hand.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #134
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
The SR500 made 27 hp, that is, claimed. This 400 claims the same hp. Maybe FI got it there? Most SR500 engine mods spruced it up performance wise some, but risked reliability and had the potential to make living it with it cantankerous. I had two SR500's and they were vibe prone. If you have a TU250 or any modern retro after awhile you may find yourself disliking the SR400 because of this, but maybe the reduction to 400 cc's reduced the vibe quotient. (as I understand it the tax on bikes over 400cc in Japan is substantial so maybe that's why its a 400 and not a 500). It would be cool to have it come over here though, but still, e-start would be good. Even though I claim I had the drill down with the old SR's (and I had one very recently) sometimes it was just a minor and unneeded hassle to kick-start it, sometimes you just don't feel like it (in many cases its a real good idea to have it on the center stand). My RD350 was another story for kick starting: I could lean over and do it by hand.
I agree,I had a 1979 SR500 that was a bugger to start.It vibrated like crazy and just wasn't that great of a bike.The brakes sucked and it handled only ok.

I left the thing in Alabama when I moved and never missed it.You could get them all day long for under 500 bucks back in the late 80's.Mine wasn't worth $200

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #135
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,746
Neither good nor bad, but a omen for future owners who think they want one of these bikes and never lived with a non counter balanced big single street bike: E.G.Changing the oil on the SR500: Cement driveway floor. Put it on the center stand. Start it up, run it a little high idle to get the oil warm to drain. Watch the adjacent empty paint can used to collect the oil start dancing around. (dancing would stop at lower revs though). Yes, the world will be a better place if they bring them back to the USA. Maybe I'd buy one too - although I said that to myself about the W650, too - but while I should have, that didn't happen.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote