Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #122
Claytonroy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
I think it's a really cool little bike but the Japanese specs list only 26 HP? They should be able to get more of out that 400cc...
This bikes character belies "max" HP ratings....it's appeal is torque across the rev range.

Another example, the new/old Guzzi V7 HP rating isn't impressive on paper, but the bike consistently gets favorable reviews for it's useable spread of torque.

gore-tx - your CBR250R has a similar max HP rating to the SR400 b/c the lighter piston can achieve a higher redline, therefore more HP. But it's impossible to get the same torque from a smaller 250cc bore.

As others have noted, there is a wealth of cool aftermarket parts for the SR already. An easy and cheap way to increase performance would to ditch 20lbs with an aftermarket (lighter) exhaust and a re-map of the EFI.

I can comment on this....I own a GB400 and a GB500. In my experience, 400cc seems to be the magic size for a single cylinder motor....it's revs smooth from 2500RPM to redline, and is the best balance of power w/o excess vibration. Not to mention, my 400 is so much easier to kick start than my 500.

I'd gladly give up the E-start on my GB400 to drop 20+ lbs....which on a 400lb bike equates to a free 5% increase in power.
Claytonroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #123
HondaFanatic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
this is an old video, but a favorite

That's a nice little video, but did anyone else notice the size of the flippers on that girl? They're HUGE Every time they show a close up of her trying to kick start the SR, it looks like Bozo The Clown's foot!
HondaFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #124
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,761
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #125
ivantheterrible
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
naive question-----why is it any skin off Yamaha's nose to just bring it over in small numbers? they already produce it, and no doubt they'd sell some. I'm sure it's not as easy as that. could one of y'all, who know more about the industry, please enlighten me. I'm curious to know.
ivantheterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #126
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivantheterrible View Post
naive question-----why is it any skin off Yamaha's nose to just bring it over in small numbers? they already produce it, and no doubt they'd sell some. I'm sure it's not as easy as that. could one of y'all, who know more about the industry, please enlighten me. I'm curious to know.
Well for one thing they have to get it approved by the EPA. That costs something.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #127
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,729
and they have to warehouse parts and produce manuals in american english and train mechanics etc...Which is why the Kawa W650 lasted two years and the W800 never arrived here.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:55 AM   #128
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaFanatic View Post
That's a nice little video, but did anyone else notice the size of the flippers on that girl? They're HUGE Every time they show a close up of her trying to kick start the SR, it looks like Bozo The Clown's foot!

They should have brought back the bike in the pic on the work bench! She could have started a F.I. RD400!
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #129
NONo443
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
While this exact model might not be something that i'll buy if I had the money at the time (mostly because of what it doesn't have); it has, in spirit, some of the things that I like in motorcycles (Analog gauges, kickstart, efi, not scary fast but not terribly slow, not too expensive to make me weep if I crash it or something crashes into it, etc.; this list is getting too long). If they do bring it over, I hope it is in small numbers.
NONo443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:32 AM   #130
gentlemanjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Dennis View Post
I have one availiable with 2200 miles on it. Has been house art for the last 7 years. Flawless paint and panels. $3000.
PM for pics and history.
[]http://
It doesn't get uch better than a SRX - If I only had the cash it would be a NY minute decision.

gentlemanjim screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 04:35 AM Reason: typo
gentlemanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:39 AM   #131
gentlemanjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
It's sweet, but let's be realistic in order to compete today it need E start because the few of us here that would buy one won't make it practical to import. A good potential competitor to the TU250, XV250, CBR250R and EX300. Now offer the standard SR along side a faired SRX and that's the magic bulllet "Have your way"
gentlemanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:11 AM   #132
TxRoadDog
SHOVELS AND EVOS

Oddometer: 209
I'm going to buy one if they bring it over.
1996 Harley Davidson FXDS, V-Thunder 3010, Torrington B-138, Hylift Johnson Lifters, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, V&H Competition Drag pipes, Riser Spacers, Santee XLX Low rise Bars, J&P Antique style grips, 13" FXDX Shocks, Shimmed and PVC'd front forks with 20w oil.
TxRoadDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #133
mentalfloss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Any minute now someone will chime in with complaints about lack of ABS, traction control, too little horsepower, if only it came with luggage, yada yada yada.
Why don't you go yell at kids that are thinking about coming into your yard....
mentalfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #134
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,184
get off my lawn

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #135
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,324
I feel the same way.
And I am sure its easy to get a bit more power out of it just by doing the usual things.
Let it breath and jet it right, or put on a pumper carb and I bet the power goes up.
A nice broad power band is often better then a lot of high rpm only power, and so is a long life motor.

The speed limit around here is 65 mph, and anything over 70 will get you tickets, so I do not need 90 hp.
My TU has about 18 hp and has no problem doing 70 most of the time, anything over that would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
That is one of the most beautiful bikes I've ever seen. I would be willing to pay a pretty penny for it, based on it's looks alone. It actually looks like a MOTORCYCLE, and would be 10 times more reliable than a Royal Enfield. Would probably seriously out perform one too. And for some reason REs are selling. It's impossible to find a discount on one, even though they are seriously overpriced for their poor quality.

Unfortunately too many people do not appreciate something like this for it to ever be profitable, so Yamaha is not likely to bring it here. While Honda's new CB1100 looks great, I would like it a lot more if it looked like this. Or the 1969 CB750. If it did, I'd be down at the credit union looking for a loan.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote