ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #16
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer: 3,259
Hwy 1 closed between Lucia and Monterey

As of today, Hwy 1 is closed due to slides in two places South of Carmel: at Partington Ridge Road and at Lucia due to slides. No estimate of reopening date as yet. Check the Cal Trans website before riding.

This is a fairly common occurance along this stretch in rainy weather.
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. Only 694 more to go.
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #17
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by avejoe View Post
This is what Herb Caen (a legendary SF columnist) said:

"Caress each Spanish syllable, salute our Italian Saint. Don't say Frisco and don't say San-Fran-Cis-Co. That's the way Easterners, like Larry King pronounce it. It's more like SanfrnSISco."
IIRC, Herb Caen always called California's capital city Sack-a-tomato.

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #18
bashplate
ugh

Oddometer: 17
1 Nacimiento-Ferguson Rd

Hwy 1 is still closed from Lucia to Grimes Canyon. BUT you can ride as far as the Nacimiento-Ferguson road and climb away from the coast on one of the most spectacular set of twisties in California. It runs through Fort Hunter-Ligget and back to the 101. Depending on which way you are going you can catch the Jolon rd south or the airline highway (hwy 25) north (off 101 to 198 or the Bitterwater out of King Shitty). Both are excellent MC roads - all paved but twisties and minimum po po. Then you can work your way back to the 1.
bashplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #19
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,308
Bummer that slides closed Hwy 1 again. It has been a couple years, so I guess we were due. If you have time, doubling back from the north to see Big Sur is worth it.

Naciamento Rd. to Hwy 25 would be sweet, though. The little restaurant in Tres Pinos has some awsome gourmet food , or the Super Taqueria in Hollister (across from Kmart) has the best taco truck style tacos I've ever had for cheap prices.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #20
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,651
If you take Naciemanto - Ferguson Rd. up from the coast, make sure your papers are in order. You have to transit Fort Hunter Ligget and they will check your license, registration and proof of insurance before letting you do so.

Also be very cognizant of the speed limits on the military base.

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:55 AM   #21
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
If you take Naciemanto - Ferguson Rd. up from the coast, make sure your papers are in order. You have to transit Fort Hunter Ligget and they will check your license, registration and proof of insurance before letting you do so.

Last time we were up there, both gates were wide open-no sign of any guards at either end. It was a little disconcerting, having one of our bases open to ANYONE. Our tax dollars at work?
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #22
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxbike View Post
Last time we were up there, both gates were wide open-no sign of any guards at either end. It was a little disconcerting, having one of our bases open to ANYONE. Our tax dollars at work?
Yeah, me too. I think Fort Hunter Liggett is mostly empty land used for training exercises, that's why they allow hunting out there. If they have training going on, they guard the gates to those areas, but you don't always know when that will be. Best to have paperwork in order just in case.

I believe they always guard the gates leading to the barracks and buildings, though.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:26 PM   #23
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer: 3,259
Hwy 1 open again...sorta

Cal Trans is working on the slides, and there is 1-lane controlled traffic through the affected areas. So you can get through.
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. Only 694 more to go.
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #24
bdarling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post

+1, at least for the speed limit. The gates may be unattended, but my last trip through the base proved that they are very interested in keeping the speeding under control.

-B
Old 01-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #25
bashplate
ugh

Oddometer: 17
Tule Elk too

Also, you might want to watch for the elk herd on Hunter Ligget. The first time I road it they ran across the road infront of me - very, very beautiful. Another couple of reasons to go slow...

bashplate screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 06:27 PM
bashplate is offline   Reply With Quote