Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 08:47 AM   #61
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,483
2013, The year of the Guzzi

It must be catching!
I'm working on the swing arm and finial drive in my 96 Sport. Getting ready for the spring riding season. the rear drive is off to be rebuilt with a lower gear. The swing arm bearings were bad and are being replaced. But the U joints were perfect! I guess all that greasing paid off.

86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #62
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
It must be catching!
I'm working on the swing arm and finial drive in my 96 Sport. Getting ready for the spring riding season. the rear drive is off to be rebuilt with a lower gear. The swing arm bearings were bad and are being replaced. But the U joints were perfect! I guess all that greasing paid off.
Nice looking bike. I've never owned a Goose, but have always had an attraction to them..... even with their "warts." Perhaps one day....

The G5 I am working on belongs to a customer up in NoVA. He told me a requisite purchase when working on these things was to pick up a bottle of red Italian vino.... and that he'd reimburse me for it. Haven't done that yet. Perhaps in celebration once I get it running again for him. In the interim, I'll stick with my Yuenglings.

He also mentioned that he thought the best place for Guzzi parts was Harpers. Any other place you might recommend??

Old 01-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #63
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Nice looking bike. I've never owned a Goose, but have always had an attraction to them..... even with their "warts." Perhaps one day....

The G5 I am working on belongs to a customer up in NoVA. He told me a requisite purchase when working on these things was to pick up a bottle of red Italian vino.... and that he'd reimburse me for it. Haven't done that yet. Perhaps in celebration once I get it running again for him. In the interim, I'll stick with my Yuenglings.

He also mentioned that he thought the best place for Guzzi parts was Harpers. Any other place you might recommend??

These guys for parts: http://www.mgcycle.com/ and http://www.cyclegarden.com/ rear drive/trans guy http://www.zydecoracing.com/home.html
Best tech around, Guzzi dealer too: http://mphauto.com/

The 96 model Sport is my second Guzzi. The first I bought back in 1975 or so and sold it back to the original owner about 4 yrars ago. 88K miles ( that was the total of the three speedos I had on the bike.
Here's my V7 Sport. I think I was the first Sport bike rider in Houston back in the day.

Same frame as what you are working on. Same engine but 750CC, different cam with gear drive, and straight cut gear trans. As I recall, to set the timming you need a high RPM timming light, run the engine up to 4K RPM and set at the first mark. I still have my timming light. It's a Sears 120V.

Shoot me any questions you have and I'll try to help.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
Old 01-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #64
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
These guys for parts: http://www.mgcycle.com/ and http://www.cyclegarden.com/ rear drive/trans guy http://www.zydecoracing.com/home.html
Best tech around, Guzzi dealer too: http://mphauto.com/

The 96 model Sport is my second Guzzi. The first I bought back in 1975 or so and sold it back to the original owner about 4 yrars ago. 88K miles ( that was the total of the three speedos I had on the bike.
Here's my V7 Sport. I think I was the first Sport bike rider in Houston back in the day.

Same frame as what you are working on. Same engine but 750CC, different cam with gear drive, and straight cut gear trans. As I recall, to set the timming you need a high RPM timming light, run the engine up to 4K RPM and set at the first mark. I still have my timming light. It's a Sears 120V.

Shoot me any questions you have and I'll try to help.
Appreciate the input.

I do have a decent timing light, but no longer a tach/dwell meter. I do have a digital photo tach I can use since this bike has no tach of its own. I made an adapter so I could easily spin the engine over, so it will be no problem to add a piece that I can stick a piece of reflective tape on to monitor engine speed.

Someone has previously marked the flywheel with white paint, but from what I am seeing (assuming they are correct) is about a 3-5 degree advance via the centrifugal advance in the "distributor." The marks are somewhat convoluted, but we'll see just what I have once I get this thing running.

Again, thank you. We'll let you know how things progress.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #65
Texian
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Installed a new Deka Battery in my '06 1/2 1200 GSA,after getting 18 months out of a Batteries Plus battery.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #66
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Appreciate the input.

I do have a decent timing light, but no longer a tach/dwell meter. I do have a digital photo tach I can use since this bike has no tach of its own. I made an adapter so I could easily spin the engine over, so it will be no problem to add a piece that I can stick a piece of reflective tape on to monitor engine speed.

Someone has previously marked the flywheel with white paint, but from what I am seeing (assuming they are correct) is about a 3-5 degree advance via the centrifugal advance in the "distributor." The marks are somewhat convoluted, but we'll see just what I have once I get this thing running.

Again, thank you. We'll let you know how things progress.

There is, as I remember, a steel stamp at TDC for each cylinder on the flywheel OD and an arrow stamping for setting the points ( both points open ). Before the TDC mark for each cylinder there are two timming marks eched on the flywheel. One, closest to TDC, is for the start of advance at 2500 RPM and the other is for end of advance at 4000 RPM. The service manual shows this in a wierd Itialian graph. I always had best luck setting timming at the high mark. So I would have an assistant hold the engine above 4 grand and I would ajust the distb. to aline the high mark with the case mark. That is how it worked on my 73 model. The engine you are working on is most likely set up for unleaded fuel, my 73 was not and required some retard of timming to only ping a little.

Hey if you need a dewel meter I'll dig around in the back of my cave around the old bones and I have one I'll sell ya, cheap.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #67
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,774
Over Xmas break, I've been tinkering in the garage with our new acquisition, in order to get quadtarded:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=848760&page=2

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #68
ibeme1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Talking

I tried to start my XR400 today for 30+ min and no luck.

Conclusion: my bike is an offspring of satan himself and wish I had bought a bike w/electric start. I also concluded my bike bike is smarter then me. =)
ibeme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #69
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeme1 View Post

Conclusion: my bike is an offspring of satan himself and wish I had bought a bike w/electric start. I also concluded my bike bike is smarter then me. =)
The problem probably doesn't lie with the kickstart. An electric start bike probably wouldn't have started either.

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #70
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeme1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
The problem probably doesn't lie with the kickstart. An electric start bike probably wouldn't have started either.
Cold weather starting of my XR500 is very difficult (if not almost impossible) as well. I suspect the "cold start enrichment device" (choke) is ineffective (not rich enough). You can run full "choke" for a long time even in warm weather (once it starts).

Oh yeah, I also got my chainsaw running again!
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:33 AM   #71
jaak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Been refurbishing my R1150GS:
rims powdercoated, frame painted, tank and plastics painted, new timing chain, etc.

Jaak
jaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #72
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,659
A little filming:

To fix these:

Fun times!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #73
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,603
Looks like chemical attack. ABS or polypropolyne?

All I did in the garage today was look around on my laptop. And got another day older.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #74
ibeme1
Adventurer

Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HapHazard View Post
Cold weather starting of my XR500 is very difficult (if not almost impossible) as well. I suspect the "cold start enrichment device" (choke) is ineffective (not rich enough). You can run full "choke" for a long time even in warm weather (once it starts).

Oh yeah, I also got my chainsaw running again!
Glad you got the chainsaw running.....
Old 01-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #75
ibeme1
Adventurer

Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post

My little XT 250 started

I just think my XR hates me