Originally Posted by Angryrican View Post
... I'm going by the scientific evaluations of the members of this forum
Yeah ... good luck with that ........
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #17
F800ekelley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Have the same bike and tires i can not go above 75 tires are balanced and are perfect i had pirelli scorpions on before and crusied at 80mph all day
F800ekelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #18
Baiazid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by F800ekelley View Post
Have the same bike and tires i can not go above 75 tires are balanced and are perfect i had pirelli scorpions on before and crusied at 80mph all day
Yep, I had pirelli scorpion until last week. Could do 160Kmph with no problems....
Baiazid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #19
F800ekelley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baiazid View Post
Yep, I had pirelli scorpion until last week. Could do 160Kmph with no problems....
Its def the tire heard other guys on diff bike have same thing its a 50 50 tire so i guess i cant complain about no high speeds
F800ekelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #20
Angryrican
know nothing all

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Bike magazine, Great Britains largest Motorcycle magazine, has an article on top 10 suspension set up problems in its latest edition.

There is one on weaving. One cause is, not enough weight on the front tire. The solution is, dial in more rear preload or slip the forks up into the triple tees.

Need proof the F800gs is a little light in the front? Read this:http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/features/2011AugTriBMW.pdf Note its comments on the F800gs lack of stability in dirt.

Want to figure your center of gravity or wonder how a little suspension adjustment can make a change: http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/to...p?TOPIC_ID=137

Don't want to believe me? maybe if you read about it, you will believe it. This bike has a lot of potential.
To your point another thing to consider is rider position and whether you are using handlebar risers since they also will position the rider a bit back and up(you have to factor the steering angle) shifting your body back unweighting the front even more. Curious to see if guys under 175cm tall using bar risers have this issue since they would not be tall enough to keep their body forward with risers. I tried 20mm risers for a bit and hated how the bike handled with them, I also had a Rallye Moto damper on that raised the bars 20mm and it put the bar in a very un-natural position for my personal use and it was bad enough to out weigh the benefits of the damper
Angryrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:18 PM   #21
Angryrican
know nothing all

Quote:
That's another way of doing it. I practice that on and off road. Age and infirmities have effected how much standing I can do.

My bike is no longer stock, but my recollections were, above 75mph a feeling of disconnect with the road. I got the occasional weave, especially in wind or truck blast. The bike wanted to run wide in corners. Surely mine cannot be that different.

With my current springs and settings, it feels like it is on rails. Nothing seems to bother it or cause it to deviate from its course, it just goes where I point it. In dirt I can feel when and how much the rear is going to step out.

If there is a down side, it is that the bike has more road feed back transmitted through the frame and handlebars.

The last thing I added was an under the bar Scott's damper. I never felt it was needed but bought as insurance in case of sand/silt. It works It also added a heavier bike feel to the pavement even when on a light setting.

I just can't buy it's the tire, I got to slow down argument. Mine was finicky with TKC's on the front. Now it doesn't care what tire I have on it. Currently I am running a Pirelli Scorpion on the rear with some sipes added. The front is a worn TKC that has been flipped a few times. Neither have been balanced. I even have some dings in the rim. It is all the same to the bike.
I don't buy it's the tire myself,I was just repeating what others claimed to experience earlier. I have TKC's and they have never been balanced either, my rear shock is a Wilber's that is very dialed and I'm currently running Hyperpro Springs and have never had any of the aforementioned issues. The rear shock made the biggest difference since it would tend to ride wide on turns at high speeds and now the bike responds to my input much better. One thing that really helped that were larger foot pegs.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #22
Koby
Rennfahrer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Bike magazine, Great Britains largest Motorcycle magazine, has an article on top 10 suspension set up problems in its latest edition.

There is one on weaving. One cause is, not enough weight on the front tire. The solution is, dial in more rear preload or slip the forks up into the triple tees.

Need proof the F800gs is a little light in the front? Read this:http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/features/2011AugTriBMW.pdf Note its comments on the F800gs lack of stability in dirt.

Want to figure your center of gravity or wonder how a little suspension adjustment can make a change: http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/to...p?TOPIC_ID=137

Don't want to believe me? maybe if you read about it, you will believe it. This bike has a lot of potential.
Exactly.... F800GS is naturally light in the front and at speed 100mph plus it just gets worse and worse with more speed.

things that helped me.

- Shift luggage/gear to front
- Shift your weight front as much as possible
- Set rear shock stiffer
- Steering damper pretty much removes the "head shake" at speed

it is not pleasant here where it is fine to ride the higher speeds the F800GS can do 100-125mph for long periods on the autobahn and the bikes front end is shaky.
Koby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #23
Baiazid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Problem is that using pireli scorpion I could do 130-150kmph with no indication of trouble and now with k60 I am limited to legal speed (ironic isn't it?)
Baiazid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #24
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Nice smooth high speed tires do not create very much suspension chatter. Even a K60 produces a lot of up/down because it isn't completely even steven. For me I tend to work on front end resolution for front end problems and rear for the rear. If you do not have an adjustable front by all means play with what you got. I dropped my front forks 7mm and adjusted my front preload which resolved a lot of the issues with the front but I will not go above 80MPH unless I am passing someone because it still is a little squirrely with TKCs.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:54 AM   #25
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,246
I have topped out my bike a few times and agree that the front end is extra light.
That said it makes it much easier to ride off road with a light front end.
I use the Ralle - Moto steering stabilizer and it works very well to stabilize the bike at high speed.
I use Anakees when going that fast. I don't go over 75 mph on dual sport tires as a general rule.
Try a stabilizer.

http://www.rallemoto.com/contents/en-us/d30.html

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:47 AM   #26
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,112
Sorry if I missed it ...
Is dropping the front fork tubes in the triple tree by (say) 10mm a potential solution?
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #27
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
To your point another thing to consider is rider position and whether you are using handlebar risers since they also will position the rider a bit back and up(you have to factor the steering angle) shifting your body back unweighting the front even more. Curious to see if guys under 175cm tall using bar risers have this issue since they would not be tall enough to keep their body forward with risers. I tried 20mm risers for a bit and hated how the bike handled with them, I also had a Rallye Moto damper on that raised the bars 20mm and it put the bar in a very un-natural position for my personal use and it was bad enough to out weigh the benefits of the damper
+1
I experienced a huge difference between riding in my supermoto leathers or just allround gear with a loose jacket. Withe the leathers I can go up to top speed, with the loose jacket flapping in the wind the weaving starts at approx. 155 km/p/h. As soon as I let the bar loose or hold it with just one hand the weaving stops.

8 out of 10 front end wobbles/weaves/shimmy/etc come from the rear...
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:17 AM   #28
Angryrican
know nothing all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveman View Post
+1
I experienced a huge difference between riding in my supermoto leathers or just allround gear with a loose jacket. Withe the leathers I can go up to top speed, with the loose jacket flapping in the wind the weaving starts at approx. 155 km/p/h. As soon as I let the bar loose or hold it with just one hand the weaving stops.

8 out of 10 front end wobbles/weaves/shimmy/etc come from the rear...
Pretty funny, I don't think most people understand how much the rider himself affects the handling of the bike. Position, size, gear etc.
Also incorrect rear suspension setup as mentioned before, i.e. incorrect damping and sag can really affect handling especially on a bike with a light front end to begin with.
Last I'd say tire pressure is a huge component also.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:40 AM   #29
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,246
Lets not forget the width of our bars. We have so much leverage that often times at high speed I prefer to ride with throttle hand only. There is a reason sport bikes have clip ons for less leverage at thigh speeds.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:04 AM   #30
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Pretty funny, I don't think most people understand how much the rider himself affects the handling of the bike. Position, size, gear etc.
Also incorrect rear suspension setup as mentioned before, i.e. incorrect damping and sag can really affect handling especially on a bike with a light front end to begin with.
Last I'd say tire pressure is a huge component also.
Yep, sometimes its a combination of two or more factors leading to instability.
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote