User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #391
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,708
Struggling to give a shit

The gun debate is so overloaded with emotion I stand back and watch and wonder. I have a shotgun at home but I very much doubt my ability to kill someone with it. I have been shot at and didn't much like the experience and I have shot and killed a few animals and enjoyed that even less. I wonder how many blow hard defenders of freedom etc...have ever shot and killed anyone outside their cinematic fantasies. Do you suppose that when faced with the choice it will be that easy? An intruder could be a villan or a neighbor asking for a cup of sugar. Police officers train obsessively to deal with unknown armed subjects. How many weekend warriors do?

Furthermore this idea that tyranny can be overcome by armed citizens is bizarre to me in that these civilians will be facing off against the world's most over-equipped military. Who are also incidentally the sons and daughters of yourselves and your neighbors. Fancy shooting Captain Uncle Bob to preserve freedom do you? Is Captain Uncle Bob and his armored company ready to take orders from a tyrant and move an American occupation force into your neighborhood? It seems far fetched to me. But there again FEMA concentration camps are high on my list of improbabilities...

So, in my final analysis by all means buy your assault rifles and go play sodjer in your back yard but why in the name of reason is it unreasonable to require background checks of anyone who wants to buy a gun? I have a drivers license to ride which is less of a skills test than an id card in reality. I see no difficulty with requiring anyone who wants a gun to pass a back ground test. Then let them loose with their Rambo fantasies. We all dream our over the road fantasies, some of us on motorcycles, some of us armed, others of us wealthy.

I loved this piece by The Onion, the best news analysis on line!

http://www.theonion.com/articles/62y...n-natio,30984/

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #392
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 2,891
they did a background check on me when I bought mine. I don't see why we need new rules.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:04 AM   #393
Sub Zero
Ice Breather!

Oddometer: 768
conchscooter, your my hero!

"Great! What am I supposed to use now?! Harsh language?!?!?"
- Duke Nukem
Sub Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:00 AM   #394
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by conchscooter View Post
Well though out, and written. Thank you
I think the main issue you'll find is that you see this as a reasonable concession that will make everything a little better/safer. Speaking for myself only, and not for anyone else in this discussion. I see it as taking one more bite out of the elephant of total disarmament of law abiding citizens. At some point the elephant will be fully consumed, and the nation as a whole will be looking around wondering what happened. It's "just" background checks, and 30 round magazines.... this time... Last time it was "just" flash suppressors, pistol grip stocks, and bayonet lugs. What will it be next? "Just" optics because someone made a long range shot on a high profile person? Or "just" repeaters because some asshole lunatic could have been stopped in an active shooter scenario if he'd had to reload after every round? Surely the metal butplate on an M1 Garand can be used if the nut job runs dry, so now we must mandate rubber recoil pads to prevent this.
I do appreciate your opinion, but if you could please take a step back and look at the bigger picture I'm sure you'll see the direction this is going. The slippery slope. I see the dangers of sliding down it, and am simply saying we should set some anchors before it's too late.
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:27 AM   #395
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Oddometer: 796
conchscooter... ???

Utterances like "blow hard defenders of freedom", "cinematic fantasies", "weekend warriors", "go play sodjer in your back yard"", "Rambo fantasies", "others of us wealthy" ....reminds me of clanging symbals.

Even police officers shoot errantly, at a rate not entirely disparate from their similarly prepared civilian counterparts, who likewise prefer to be equipped to adequately defend themselves. Neither party (police or public) is gearing up against their government, it is ANY relentless aggressor we are prepared for. The vast majority of pro-gun public bear no resemblance to the demeaning epithets you favor when refering to staunch supporters of the 2nd amendment.

The majority of pro-gun constituents who even minimally oppose background checks, base their opposition on egregious and often arbitrary proposals ranging from requiring everything from annual anger management, unwarranted psychiatric evaluations as prerequisites, annual reporting, registration databases that could facilitate confiscatory measures, etc. The fear being that arbitrary guidelines would be implemented as a means of progressive and total disarmament. History has taught us how it begins, so we resist familiar tactics... fool me once, ... you get the idea.

Try not to stereotype opponents before considering the BASIS of their chagrin. We do not want to be tread upon as penance for the follies of felons. I would never separate a man from his Ferrari, nor govern its motor, simply because his neighbor drove a similar vehicle drunk for the 5th time, right through a packed playground. That type of regulation could never have prevented the unlicensed driver, from the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th DUI, sourcing a vehicle he is forbidden to drive at ANY rate of speed, much less at 180mph, and it would not save innocent victims, unless ALL cars were gone. If they took your Ferrari, surely they wouldn't stop there. Anything with wheels could commit that offense, after all "drunk licensed assault CARS kill people right?"

All rights are sacred. As is your right to say otherwise. And yes, to answer your question, I have shot and killed outside of cinematic fantasies. Thank me or curse me. I and millions of veterans before me made damn sure you have that right.
Carry on comrade.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #396
brewmann
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Entinglefunts, you're my hero !!
brewmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #397
headednw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by conchscooter View Post
The gun debate is so overloaded with emotion I stand back and watch and wonder. I have a shotgun at home but I very much doubt my ability to kill someone with it. I have been shot at and didn't much like the experience and I have shot and killed a few animals and enjoyed that even less. I wonder how many blow hard defenders of freedom etc...have ever shot and killed anyone outside their cinematic fantasies. Do you suppose that when faced with the choice it will be that easy? An intruder could be a villan or a neighbor asking for a cup of sugar. Police officers train obsessively to deal with unknown armed subjects. How many weekend warriors do?

Furthermore this idea that tyranny can be overcome by armed citizens is bizarre to me in that these civilians will be facing off against the world's most over-equipped military. Who are also incidentally the sons and daughters of yourselves and your neighbors. Fancy shooting Captain Uncle Bob to preserve freedom do you? Is Captain Uncle Bob and his armored company ready to take orders from a tyrant and move an American occupation force into your neighborhood? It seems far fetched to me. But there again FEMA concentration camps are high on my list of improbabilities...

So, in my final analysis by all means buy your assault rifles and go play sodjer in your back yard but why in the name of reason is it unreasonable to require background checks of anyone who wants to buy a gun? I have a drivers license to ride which is less of a skills test than an id card in reality. I see no difficulty with requiring anyone who wants a gun to pass a back ground test. Then let them loose with their Rambo fantasies. We all dream our over the road fantasies, some of us on motorcycles, some of us armed, others of us wealthy.

I loved this piece by The Onion, the best news analysis on line!

http://www.theonion.com/articles/62y...n-natio,30984/

Il Duce beckons you back to the homeland . I would suggest you pay a visit to the Sicily-Rome American Cemetery and Memorial and gaze upon the graves of the 7,861 American Patriots that sacrificed all in the name of FREEDOM when you get home .
I for one am not surprised by your wonderment at the display of " emotion " by those willing to pay what toll is asked to protect the liberties this country was born upon . Never doubt for one second the the same blood that has coursed the veins of patriots passed does not flow through those keeping watch now.

Liberty for security ? you deserve neither

headednw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #398
brewmann
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by headednw View Post
Il Duce beckons you back to the homeland . I would suggest you pay a visit to the Sicily-Rome American Cemetery and Memorial and gaze upon the graves of the 7,861 American Patriots that sacrificed all in the name of FREEDOM when you get home .
I for one am not surprised by your wonderment at the display of " emotion " by those willing to pay what toll is asked to protect the liberties this country was born upon . Never doubt for one second the the same blood that has coursed the veins of patriots passed does not flow through those keeping watch now.

Liberty for security ? you deserve neither

Well said. One of the biggest influences in my life was a childhood neighbor who commanded a company in WWII...including the Battle of the Bulge as well as participated the Korean and Vietnam wars. I spent countless hours as a kid listening to his stories. He was a hero, a man I have nothing but respect for. He passed away a couple years ago, but I vividly remember the fear and disgust in his voice when we discussed where this country is going and how more and more people are willing to just give up what he and his men fought and died for without uttering a whimper.

brewmann screwed with this post 03-21-2013 at 11:00 AM
Old 03-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #399
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Zero View Post
conchscooter, your my hero!
Care to address my concerns ? I am genuinely curious as to why you feel the way you do given the facts. By the way I do not own a gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
So you support the ownership of the very type of gun that is responsible for the majority of the homicides in the USA but you do not support ownership of guns (legally obtained by law abiding citizens mind you) that can be used as defense for the very reasons that the 2A was drafted ? Really? Also you do realize that the law breaking lunatics will not have "fewer guns" don't you ?

I am a pretty damn liberal dude and have voted Dem most of my life but for fuck sake man, wake up and smell the oppression!! This type of legislation is nothing more than a power grab that is being drafted by extremists who only wish to serve their own agendas. They DO NOT CARE about the Constitution, the USA or it's populous.
Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #400
Sub Zero
Ice Breather!

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
Care to address my concerns ?

nope!

"Great! What am I supposed to use now?! Harsh language?!?!?"
- Duke Nukem
Sub Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #401
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 3,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub zero View Post
nope!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub zero View Post

all i have to say
Bail on a thread fail!
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #402
brewmann
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
nope!
Mouth Overloaded Ass.

Catastrophic Fail.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #403
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Quote:
nope!

And if you want to continue to shit in this thread just because you can go fuck yourself. You are now just trying to stir shit up with no intention of adding anything to the thread. Take that shit to JM. Funny that you're so fresh out of banned camp, and still acting like an asshole.

For the record you're not getting under my skin because I really don't care enough about you to let that happen. I DO however, care enough about this forum, and this sub forum to call you out on your BS.
Quote:
My bad
Old 03-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #404
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Quote:
nope!
Quote:
My bad
Old 03-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #405
ineptizoid
Not Mission Capable

Oddometer: 5,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmann View Post
Mouth Overloaded Ass.

Catastrophic Fail.
Yep.

SZ, this one's fer you

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
ineptizoid is offline   Reply With Quote